Kodiak 100; Worth The Price?

naaa they will complement each other :smiley:

I tried the Kodiak today and I also think it’s a really great addon. And while I found the Aerosoft Twotter in FSX/P3D fun but very wrong in the air and terrible on the ground MSFS is a completely new environment and I expect it to shine here too… if they do it right this time ^^

Thanks for that one! It’s weird because I have the notifications for updates on but I Never got any information about it, quite frustrating

I remembered reading about issues with downloading when purchased direct, but that may have just been due to initial release demand. Either way, I paid extra for the peace of mind and bought through Orbx. The 1.0.4 patch was available on the day after Christmas, which I was absolutely not expecting. One piece of advice - map rudder trim right and left to something easy to reach - you’ll need it, even on autopilot.

This is a seriously good airplane, with copilot, cargo, and passenger visibility controlled via the fuel/load screen. A light load in one cargo station will give you a one box high load. Add more weight, and you can stack up to four. Add 170# to the copilot seat, and now you have company in the cockpit with you in both internal and external views. Even the air conditioning is simulated!

If you like flying the Caravan - at all - you’ll like this one.

It’s Christmas. So it’s to be expected. Many companies shut down pre Christmas until after New Year. I mentioned the benefits of buying direct from the dev on another thread and some were saying they prefer to buy from a single vendor where they can so if you are in that camp you can’t have it all. If you are not wed to buying from one vendor why did you just not buy from SWS. It’s cheaper and the updates are available immediately.

I don’t know why you seem so certain that it will never be fixed. I’d be very surprised if WT did not address this at some point.

Definitively Yes, and more if you buy it on dev site :slight_smile: Good aircraft but not only, devs seem to react quickly and it is as important as the product. Bugs don’t remains during month like for the sim…

Based on reviews from friends, I purchased it directly from SimWorks. Just getting ready to install and take it for a ride!

I also bought their Akavango Delta region, which was demoed to me recently, and it is excellent!

2 Likes

If you’re interested at all in bush flying it’s definitely something to pick up! I’ve been looking forward to flying one ever since seeing it on the Missionary Bush Pilot YouTube channel, and here it is! I do think the MilViz Porter has a bit more “character” to it, and I wasn’t even planning on buying that plane because I think the Porter is kind of ugly, but I’ve grown to really like it. I’ll probably be going back and forth between these two planes quite a bit.

Totally worth the price. It is currently one of the best airplanes in the sim IMHO. This airplane made me into a SWS believer up there near the top with other top dev studios.

2 Likes

I’ll put it this way: I was flying the Kodiak, and wandering around behind the cockpit with the camera, and thought, “hey, I wonder if you can actually put down the little table by the two passenger seats that face each other?”

You can actually put down the little table. That, my friends, is attention to detail.

Totally worth the price.

2 Likes

Don’t forget the rear cup holders - they work too!

1 Like

I finally broke down and bought it due to all the buzz. It won me over when I put the arm rests up.

But seriously, gonna be interesting to learn how to trim this thing properly. Off to the manual!

Yeah, bought it immediately. I knew it was going to be good if its from Milviz. They always deliver good stuff. Since release I have installed JayDee’s mod to include the GTN750 (because its my favorite, planner, maps, SIDs/STARs/Navigraph,Metar, keypad etc).
Just trim about 20-50% Right rudder and you should be good. The manual is slightly different but I usually leave it around 20ish depending on the winds. Love this thing!

It’s by SWS (Sim Works Studios) not Milviz.

Neutral elevator trim for light loads, and load from the front back. Watch your CG, if it start’s drifting aft, add in some nose down elevator trim before takeoff. Also, rudder trim is vital. set 3-4 clicks right for takeoff, then watch the slip indicator (the small line under the bank angle pointer) and use the rudder trim to keep that centered when flying straight. You’ll want to bind a couple of buttons or keys to left and right rudder trim if you don’t have them already.

Well, a user can always choose the standard G1000 over tht NXi. But at that point, the NXi will be FAR more realistic than the stock. So you’re trading a few minor engine gauge labels for very realistic navigation.

Anyway, to the OP - you won’t be disappointed with the Kodiak. It can fly in almost all weather with flight into known icing certification. Just note it is not pressurized but it does have portable oxygen system.

2 Likes

Yeah simple mistake

GNS mod is now integrated so you won’t need the JayDee mod anylonger. They added it as a G1000 / Nxi replacement. Love it so far. Never had a Kodiak in a sim before. Really pleased. Fun to fly. Worth every bit of money.

1 Like

The Kodiak is now pretty much my “go to” for the winter. FIKI capable is really great to have, and it’s fast enough to go cross country. Plus, it just flies so beautifully… lands so smoothly.

Rumor has it that the same developer who worked on the Just Flight PA28 flight dynamics has credit for the flight dynamics of the Kodiak. From how it handles, I can absolutely believe that. The PA28s and the Kodiak are the two best GA models in the sim, IMHO.

Worth every penny, and then some. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hm I have already tested uninstalling the NXi. Even after uninstalling the engine gauge is still not realistic and looks exactly the same. Using the NXi or the stock Flight Sim 20 G1000 unfortunately makes no visual difference for some reasons.
Well as long as such a simple but distinctive and obvious visual change like having the engine gauges not labelled is not fixed, I keep the Kodiak grounded (for engine failure safety reasons) :slight_smile: