Kodiak CTD 9 out of 10 times

Well since I heard about all this CTD stuff, I started with a basic shake down flight, take-offs, touch and go, full stop landings, taxing all over the field, stopped to refuel and backed out with reverse thrust. Plane is cake to fly and nothing happened, so took off again for another 2 hours of flying over and into areas I have multiple scenery enhancements. No problems at all. Well I couldn’t see the landing lights.

I think this is the easiest turboprop to fly, mainly because it flies like the plane it’s supposed to be. Aircraft I find difficult are the ones you have to figure out how to ‘play’ the plane game when your instinct tells you you should be doing something otherwise. Even taxiing feels really satisfying, heck the buttkicker feel of the door opening/closing is excellent.

I appreciate the response. I suppose if the real plane veers hard left like that it is what it is and can’t be considered a bug. Why does it do that - is it just overpowered and torque-steers left like an old Ford SHO Taurus?

Another question: In order to keep the plane in balance, I seem to have to put the entire load into seats 1 and 2. The empty CG slider also does not do anything (although it really is a cheat, so I can’t fault you guys for not enabling it), but it is impossible to get a loaded CG well forward - I saw that 14% is ideal.

Of course it doesn’t help that Asobo still haven’t managed to make plugging in values into the weight page work properly. But is the weight/balance of the Kodiak in its final form, or is that still being worked on?

1 Like

W&B is final. There is some inaccuracy the further you veer away from EWCG but that is a problem with how MSFS calculates CG. The weight stations were done by the manual and tested against a W&B utility used with the real Kodiak. We are of 0.01% in EWCG and ~1.5% at aft CG compared to the real thing, because of the miscalculation of MSFS.

The pull was modelled after pilot inputs. The engine is 750hp on a 3750lb plane, which is a lot. The engine is already tilted down and right on the fuselage to reduce these effects, but it is a beast and pulls nonetheless.

I was impressed to read in the POH that a 4k lbs plane can take off in 100m…

1 Like

My Xbox crashed every time with the Kodiak 100 - I uninstalled the G100 NXi and it hasn’t crashed since. Any others?

1 Like

there are quite a number of reports of the standard g1000 solving the issue so it’s probably the culprit

i always use the nxi since the ratio of ctd (pre flight, zero in flight) is at 20% max and to me the nxi is worth the bother

1 Like

Well, that was an eye-opener… I’ve uninstalled the Nxi and look and behold, I can actually load into an airport with the Kodiak! Thanks for mentioning it - it would be nice if information like this was shared via more official channels, then there’s a chance more people may be made aware of potential issues.

Thanks again for sharing the info!

2 Likes

Said screw it and purchased the kodiak. Had some extra time today and wanted to fly. First time I loaded in it worked fine…did a 10 min flight to just land and takeoff a couple times. Second time it crashed after I hit fly and the third time it worked fine… I am still flying so over 2 1/2 hours now. Xbox series x. Live weather on, nxi installed

Thanks for the info, so long as I clear the cache prior to loading and keep the flight plan simple works purdy good . I got froggy with an RNav approach into Into into Ketchikan and did a lot of reprogramming of Flight plan inflight and lost all 3 G1000’s just before the approach fix lol emergency now lol. luckily the Standby got me in lol. So add that to the glitch list too :man_shrugging:t3:

The topo map doesn’t work properly and I’ve experienced a few CTDs during the 4-5 hours I’ve flown the Kodiak so far.

1 Like

if the topo map won’t work when you start the flight just quick restart the flight, i can always get it to work after one quick restart

otherwise if you suffer the CTDs it’s probably best to uninstall the nxi since lots of users got rid completely by using the standard g1000

1 Like

Hello all.

So after some of my own testing it seems like the nxi is the CTD cause, remixing the G1000 NXI from the community folder also removing it allows the centre FMC to work correctly rather than a dark screen when installed.
Still seems to be a slight problem with delayed loading into a flight but thats something on the msfs side.

Is anyone currently having this issue on the PC?

I’ve been suffering constant CTDs and was on the verge of a full reinstall when I stumbled across this thread. The common theme was the Kodiak and I have been using the G1000nxi.

I’m running the beta for SU9 and when loading in to certain airports (it may be completely unconnected but they all seem to be by Pilot Plus, particularly EGTK & EGGD) the sim crashes some time after hitting ’Fly Now’.

If I uninstall the Nxi the Kodiak will load at these airfields. If I have the Nxi in other aircraft I’m able to load into these same airports no problem. If I have the Nxi installed I can load the Kodiak into other airports no problem too.

I’m baffled as to why the Kodiak+Nxi+those airfields is causing the sim to crash.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

As of SU8 there are no issues with the NXi and Kodiak on PC. SU9 is a test version, so problems may be present that were not there and could not be in the future.

This problem (SU9 crash on PC+NXi) should be reported to Asobo. As a rule of thumb, if something worked in a previous Sim Update and the same version does not work on the next one, the sim is the problem.

Regarding the Xbox CTD, I have reported the issue to Asobo, it has been acknowledged and being worked on: [CRASH] Kodiak & NXi cause crash on Xbox - MSFS DevSupport

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply.

The issue isn’t that the combination doesn’t work per se, but that it doesn’t work with those specific airports.

I’m stumped. What could be causing that?

Does the crash occur with the default G1000?

It doesn’t, I can load the Kodiak with the stock G1000 without issue. I can also load any other aircraft that uses the nxi and there isn’t a problem.

I’ve done a bit more digging and it is happening with all of Pilot Plus’ airfields (rather than just Bristol and Oxford), and only those airfields.

It is the combination of the Kodiak, the G1000nxi and the PP airfield that is causing the crash. If I take any element of the triangle away and leave the other two it works fine.

I’ve logged a ticket with Pilot Plus and reached out to WT on Discord. Beyond that there’s just the aircraft left of the trio.

The problem seems to be the same as experienced on Xbox, but it may not be, we can’t assume things. What are your PC Specs?

Lastly, I would suggest logging one with Microsoft as well.
If things only break when put all together, but work if one is missing, MS/Asobo would be the ones that can most easily figure this out.

If a specific piece was the culprit, having it in the equation would always cause the crash.

Hi again.

Thanks for responding. I’m on a Ryzen 5900x, 32GB 3200mhz Ram and an RTX2080ti. The game and the 3rd party DLC exist on a 2TB NvMe SSD.

It is definitely some weird interaction between the 3 elements causing the crash. Oddly I tried this morning and flew from Maccosim’s EGBB to Oxford and I was able to land there fine, I just can’t spawn there.

I’ll log a beta bug report for this too.

Why is everyone so hard up on the NXi for the Kodiak? A plane mainly designed to get stuff from where there can be a road to a place where there cant be, or air taxi service. It can fly for 11+ hours but rarely does anything remotely like that other then when it’s being delivered to the new owner. What exactly does the NXi do for it? It’s the NXi that’s the ‘free’ part in all of this. I had trouble with it CTD’ing with the 172 as well when I took it off and haven’t missed it.

When was the last time the NXi was updated?

Well, the aircraft has the g1000 fit, and the default g1000 is pants.

Why would you not want the nxi? It’s fantastic!

2 Likes