Kodiak in VR - spectacular spectacular!

Yes, I know this topic belongs in the VR section but the problem with that is those people already know what I’m talking about. This post is for those who have not gone the VR route. I started with a somewhat regular layout, to then investing in an ultra-wide screen, then adding TrackIR, and now most recently, VR. Certainly, the ultra-wide was a nice improvement, but it still wasn’t right. I then made the switch from 2D to VR and it is like a quantum leap in immersive reality. It is amazing. It’s not perfect, there are of course some compromises which I’ll list below, but those are by far offset by the fact that everything is seemingly so real that I actually put my controller down on the “seat” next to me, which of course actually wasn’t really there and so there was a bit of a crash and smash. Honestly initially you’ll find yourself wanting to reach for knobs and levers like you’re actually in the aircraft. And here’s the thing, it’s not crazy expensive to get into VR - my ultrawide screen cost way more than the HP Reverb G2 VR headset I’m using. Now then, of course, there are some small compromises you’ll have to accept (certainly with an inexpensive headset like the Reverb G2). Firstly is crispness in clarity. No, it’s not going to be the same as your high res monitor, but you’ll very quickly learn to zoom in if you really want to see small text sharp and clear. The second problem is that in your VR environment, you’re somewhat isolated from your other applications on your PC. If you’re like me and you like to use additional applications as you fly (like NaviGraph charts, LittleNavMap, vPilot, etc), you’ll suddenly find those not in your VR world. But there are several ways to get around this which work really well. Finally, I certainly don’t want to sit for 2 hours en route with a VR headset on my face looking out the window. Yep, it gets kinda boring. No worries, it is very easy to switch in and out of VR and so I’ll switch back to my monitor and remove my headset during the cruise phase (aka when the wife is encouraging me to clean up the kitchen). With everything now on my monitor, I can still pop in to check all is well. Come the interesting parts of the flight, I switch back to VR and try to remember not to put my beer down on the seat next to me which isn’t there.

Finally something else I’ve noticed. With my ultrawide screen, I guess because of the annoying fisheye problem, the perspective is somewhat off and without fail when landing the Kodiak I would find myself significantly right of the centerline, often requiring some fairly aggressive rudder input. In VR, this does not happen.

5 Likes

The Kodiak is very good in VR! So many 3rd party airplanes have annoying VR issues as many developers don’t test in VR. The Kodiak is the first 3rd party airplane I’ve gotten that didn’t have collision mesh issues. Even when you report it to the developers they don’t seem to understand.

Lining up for landing or just staying on the center line while taxing is way more natural. In 2D there is some guessing and extra camera work you have to do. But in 3D it’s just instinct.

Have you gone back and opened the skydiving door in flight?

1 Like

Been a VR devotee since…I dunno, maybe 18 months and I couldn’t imagine flying any other way. In summer I get the fan out to keep from fogging up. All controls are in muscle memory and I think everyone should get the chance to experience it this way.

I have learned to accept it’s limitations and embrace the immersion.

Go on, treat yourself. As Jimmy would say “What could possibly go wrong?”

I actually went back to 2D after several months in VR. After you get used to the wow factor you realize how much you have to sacrifice. VR is cool but the graphics and clarity are much worse, you have to set up the headset every time, you can’t easily have a snack or drink at the same time, you can’t use Skyvector for VFR maps, wearing the headset gets warm etc.

I like VR, don’t get me wrong, but I think IL-2 Sturmovik is a much better sim for that.

Been flying the 737 on the expressway visual Into KLGA, the other day.
The possibility tho Shift your Viewpoint, to Look into a turn and being able to actually judge distances is nothing Short of amazing

Graphics are certainly lower res, and a lot of this depends on hardware, but I’m able to run in VR at respectable framerates with mostly high and some ultra settings. Only thing I wish I didn’t have to do is zoom in sometimes when adjusting settings on a screen or whatnot, but with new headsets the resolution issue should not be an issue.

What do you mean by “set up the headset everytime”? I know people like to store their headsets differently - I keep mine plugged in and sitting on top of my PC. When I want to use it, I switch to VR mode, then put my headset on. Press a button to recenter, and that’s it. I was also able to do a 2 hour flight last night, and was able to snack on skittles and drink from a water bottle while enroute - though admittedly I did take the headset off for a couple short breaks because wearing it for that long does get tiring.

ETA: I do wish there were some better apps for navigation that worked well in VR - I fly with guys that are always using Little Nav Map which AFAIK doesn’t have a mode for use in VR.

Check out:

1. Depends which headset and/or resolution you can run at.
  2. I just double click WMR and that’s it, no setting up “every time” for me.
  3. I can drink just fine, a straw comes in very handy. Granted a bit harder to snack but it’s not exactly hard if you want to have a biscuit or packet of crisps.
  4. Dunno about that app but there’s a fair few VR specific apps for all sorts of stuff (charts, maps, flight plans etc etc) which makes life very decent.
  5. Indeed it does especially in the summer, I tend to have a couple USB fans pointing at me for when it’s hot but bearable enough, they do the job.

Overall the immersion far outweighs the niggles for me (and as headsets get better those niggles become less), I could never ever go back to 2D in any simulation again and I’ve been saying that for years now!

4 Likes

It all depends. I’m not saying it’s a lot of work to use VR, just a little bit more every time you want to fly.

There are apps for Navigraph charts etc. but none for Skyvector unfortunately. I do a lot of VFR flying in the United States and Skyvector is a must.

When I was doing my Americas tour in the Kodiak in VR I spent a lot of time wearing the goggles and I ended up having skin problems on the forehead. I’m not a teenager anymore so I’m sure it’s from the VR. Maybe that put me off from using it a little. I guess it’s good to let the skin breathe.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.