Kodiak low oil pressure

no, it’s when you accelerate the sim

I didn’t know you could do that!

The Kodiak now has engine failure/damage modelled - if you over torque the engine will pop, (audiable bang) then low pressure and kaput. The length of time this may happen after an over-torque (or excessive Np) is randomised - it will not happen immediately. So respect your parameters!

This keeps happening to me now. I’m 99% sure I’m following all the torque parameters, and I don’t use time acceleration. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be causing it?

I just faced the same event, a loud bang followed by engine lost, then emergency landing! no prior alert was triggered.

How to you reset the engine damage does it happen after restarting or is there a hidden menu somewhere?

Its non-persistant so will reset with each flight.

One mistake people may make is just using the max ITT and torque values (eg 1760ft/lbs) on the cockpit placard. Those are maximums and will be reduced considerably by the temperature and pressure altitude - you have to consult the charts in the back of the manual or the POH to get the correct max torque (and yes, the damage model is smart enough to take these lowered limits into account). If you go into the red I think you only have a matter of seconds to correct before damage occurs.

2 Likes

If only - just restarting the flight is not enough, you have to actually exit to the main menu and then start a new flight with an “unbroken” plane. It’s kinda maddening that there isn’t at least a hotkey for “unbreak this plane”.

In real life breaking a PT6A is a million dollar repair so restarting your session is mild in comparison :smiley:

That said - you really only need to avoid hot starts (ignition on early and introduce fuel as late as possible) and watch torque and ITT, it should not be breaking on a regular basis.

tell that to the constant flight restarts I need to do while testing new autopilot code. Sure, it’s a “mild inconvenience” if you need to do it once, but it’s a mild inconvenience that shouldn’t need to exist if you just want to get back up in the air (it’s not real life, it’s a video game =) and definitely not when you need to do it every few minutes on an 8 hour day of code debugging.

Just disable engine damage in the main sim menu while doing your testing.

Definitely misses the point, but sure, that’s an option. Having a way to actually reset a plane in-game without being forced to leave the game would of course be infinitely nicer.