Kodiak: Problems in AP with ILS and RNAV?

I recorded a video of the behaviour.
This time at ESMS, RWY 35.

Sorry for the low mic audio. But what I’m saying is not that important.
You can start watching at 1:40 till the end.
You can see how the plane moves left and right of the LOC, messing up the approach.
It does crazy S curves. This approach was mainly on flaps 20 and flaps full only towards the end.

Here is a second try, with flaps full much earlier:

Definitelly better, but still S curves, even tough much less extreme in this “full flaps, 80 kts” try
(This video has no plane audio, only my mic audio when I speak from time to time during the approaching, saying what I’m doing)

I feel like this is not how it should be. I expect a much more stable approach.
Am I wrong?
Or is the plane? :smiley:

I have flown many approaches now with the Kodiak (ILS and RNAV (with GPS glide slope if available)) and I’ve not had any problems. I do use the G1000 Nxi though. I know that Simworks mentioned that they focus on the G1000 but they also say on their website that the aircraft supported the Nxi at time of release, and that as the Nxi gets updated, they’ll update the aircraft. The old G1000 is EOL, and terribly frustrating to use because of all the bugs.

Anyway I certainly hope that Simworks will continue to keep the aircraft Nxi compatible as the Nxi evolves because it is hands down my favourite aircraft. However, if it means going back to the old G1000 in the future that will be the end of the Kodiak for me.

1 Like

Thanks for the videos. Kind of hard to tell whether it’s the plane, the airport or the navigation unit.

@TheRealOli4D

What I noticed is that your rudder is never really in trim. at first it’s off trim to the left and so the airplane has to correct its bank to the right, at the same time you leave the centerline to the left.

Then further down and slowing down you should trim the rudder to the right and the plane has to correct the bank to the left, you fly right of the localizer.

Maybe you could try to trim the plane (rudder only) correctly while you’re on the ILS. It doesn’t mean that there is no issue but it could be a problem with the autopilot holding the LOC while correcting the P factor.

Have a look at your second vid, 00:45. There you reduce power, the slip indicator moves to the left while the autopilot keeps the wings level but the runway starts to drift to the right. I bet it will stay spot on once you trim your rudder (or tap it to center the nose to the airstream)

I tried again, focusing on the rudder trim.
It seems to help… but in the end, it still misses the approach.
Would probably be deadly in bad weather…
And there is not even wind in this case in the video.

3 Likes

I reported it via their SWS website support ticket system.

@anon41762628 are you on the NXi mod or standard G1000? Have to tried both? Just curious.

I use the Nxi and have no problems.

… I hope not Sling… I just deleted the NXI because I couldn’t get an ILS setup to work and never want to see it again. Went back to stock G1000 flew 172 AP, NAV, Approach “flight computer” takes over and brings me down and then I land by hand. We have 4 inches snow here KPAE and still snowing. I just flew in the dark and snowy weather from KSEA to KPAE and I broke out about 250 feet above the runway.

Yup, that’s the issue I’m talking about. If you don’t correct heavily the plane will fly to a different runway. Things seem to be really going south below 500 feet.

I get the same – (Nothing to do with flaps)…
The Localizer capture and hold is messed up, with a drift from center.

Should not matter what wind, elevator, rudder or aileron trim is set, the AP should compensate and fly the plane on the center of the localizer beam.

On one test approach, the localizer needle remained pegged to the right, no matter which side of the Localizer the plane was placed.
(Yes, defiantly tuned to right Localizer freq)
Because , Using the Dev Panel to switch to the C172 and its KAP140 AP, the needle centered as locked as expected.

Did you activate Bearing 1 and 2 for NAV?

Same here. Using G1000 NXi after activating approach mod and capturing LOC the plane constantly swings from left to right and vice-versa. It holds GS perfectly, just the LOC LNAV has this issue. It has nothing to do with speeds and flaps, I’ve tried from 135kias to 70kias with flaps 0 and 35. It’s the first time I’ve used ILS since it was released and it was only to check this behavior so it doesn’t annoy me but it’s something to look into later by the DEVs for sure.

With the G1000 NXi my experience with “wandering” is not limited to the Kodiak, nor just holding the localizer.

All NXi equipped aircraft seem to gyrate back and forth while holding the magenta line; you can see it when auditing the aircraft trail in Little NavMap post-flight.

I suspect the behavior becomes more extreme as you near the lower end of the velocity envelope for any NXi equipped aircraft, as you would during a final approach.

Just make sure everyone using the NXi is fully updated to 0.10.1.

There were some AP-related lateral oscillations fixed a couple updates ago. You want to eliminate that variable.

Make sure you have the latest version from the Content Manager.

I wish the NXi would check for updates each time it loads, and if there is an update, display a “There is an Update Screen”

I am NOT saying it should FORCE an update, but just inform you that thre is an update available, and warn you that you are not using the latest version.

Seems Simple enough, and would eliminate so many issues where Pilots are reporting bugs in old versions, that have been fixed in current version.

ie Like the PMS50 GTN750 does

There is no hoping that will change. It was announced many weeks ago that the plan all along will be for the Nxi to become the new default hence my comment. It’s really stable and I haven’t found any major performance issues with it so perhaps the issues people are having may be conflicts with other stuff they have. Perhaps it also needs a bit of self education because the Nxi is much more real world and so forces you to set it up correctly. You really ought to get on board with it because it will be the only choice at some point in the future.

2 Likes

So I tried the 2 specified ILS approaches at LSZH and ESMS and both went as expected. Left the AP in for longer than normal just to see where I would end up and it was right where I wanted to be. I even had a crosswind for ESMS and bar some minor corrections due to the wind changing there was no cdi deflection. Certainly nothing like in your videos.

In one Missionary Bush Pilot video he talks about turning off yaw damper otherwise the Kodiak tends to sway. Try keeping yaw damper off and see if that works.