Kodiak: Problems in AP with ILS and RNAV?

Does the yaw damper do anything on this Kodiak? I’ve tried it on and off during flight and found it not to do anything.

1 Like

I just flew the LSZH Rwy 16 with the G1000 Nxi and it had some very obvious but mild wandering left to right, less than the width of the runway. Glideslope was rock solid.

The original post here was about Rwy 14 so I didn’t try 16. The deviation seen in the OP’s videos was around 1.5 dots.

That would mean that the gauge would have to be able to read the Content Manager. I don’t see that happening. Just head into your Content Manager every couple of days to look for updates and you’ll be fine.

You can also subscribe to Kip On The Ground’s YouTube channel. He reviews each update and provides advice on the best way to use new features as they are released. Good content. You’ll know when the next version drops.

Typical updates in the Content Manager are Thursday. I make it a habit to check the Content Manager on Thursday evening or Friday morning for updates to any Marketplace item.

Saves frustration once in awhile, and adds a nice surprise or two on occasion, i.e - “Oh look! Carenado’s Mooney finally got an update to fix the inop fuel selector!” :slight_smile:

Same results on ILS 14. Just some mild lateral movement using the G1000 Nxi.

Iv’e been checking the ILS LOC issue for a couple of days now as I was testing a new airport to be released shortly & noticed the Kodiak weaving on the ILS approach. This doesn’t appear to be an issue with general GPS point to point tracking however, just the ILS.

To try to find the source I first uninstalled the NXi & found with the default G1000 the issue still existed so I next reinstalled the NXi & used the Modded Bonanza from Robert Young & found it behaving the same way, weaving while tracking the LOC. So I’m assuming it’s more to do with the sim than the specific aircraft.

I also tested at several airports, ones tested & released recently that had not given me any issues.
I also tested with the Caranedo Seneca V with the GTN750 mod & found it had no problem tracking the LOC accurately.

So in conclusion I don’t think it is the Kodiak although I did notice as mentioned elsewhere the rudder required constant trimming to retain balanced flight whilst on approach.

One thing I did notice with the Kodiak however was that when on the ILS & I switched off the auto pilot the nose would drop several degrees & require correcting. This doesn’r appear to happen when switching the AP off in normal flight. Also the Bonanza didn’t exhibit this tendency.

Another issue I had was that on a couple of occasions I was unable to re activate the auto pilot following disengaging it. I vaguely remember this being reported in a Bonanza thread some time ago although I never experienced it. Again expect it could be a NXi issue & not the aircraft.

Exactly mild, nothing like 1.5 dots.

1 Like

I just tried the NXi. I confirm it works a lot better.
Therefore it seems to really be an issue mainly with the standard version of the G1000 in the Kodiak by SWS.
Since I did not have these issues with any other plane with the G1000, it must be something in combination of the Kodiak and the G1000.
However, using the NXi really helps.
Thanks for the tip.
I still hope SWS will look into this because it’s very odd that these problems only happen on the Kodiak, no other planes that I tested with the G1000.

Glad you got it sorted. I’m not sure what they may be doing to influence how the stock G1000 tracks the ILS but it’s probably worth you mentioning it to SWS if you are sure it’s unique to the Kodiak. I can’t comment about how the stock one works with other aircraft as I use Nxi across the board.

SWS know. SWS are watching from the bush…

It is a PID issue that will be fixed in the next update. This sounds like derivative shake, but we will see it in the lab.

5 Likes

I was just looking at those strange PID values specific to the Kodiak, and thinking the same !! GREAT !!!

Hopefully they will optimize the PID tuning for the next update, and “improve it’s Twitchiness
(No, that one will never be forgotten !!) :yum:

PID tuning is what it is. Right now the problem seems to be derivative being a bit too high on the localizer and pwrhaps proportional gain too.

I suspect one more controller but will see it with my peace and quiet when back to work.

2 Likes

Depending on how deep you want to get into optimizing the PIDS, there is a great Visulization tool called “Live Flight Data” , that will allow you to plot the PID response in real time, and give you the feedback data to optimize the PID paramters, for whatever response you are looking for.

=================

Examples of typical use, looking at Impulse response of yoke deflection, on Verticle speed ( AP on & OFF)

Real easy to set up what you want to look at - you could plot heading vs time, and see the plane intercept the Localizer, idealy with critical damping. etc etc

For anyone interested in PID tuning, this is quite a good explanation of one process.

5 Likes

I only use the WT G 1000 NXi, while having the issue of the plane swinging left and right around the localizer. Vertical guidance seems to work ok.

1 Like

For which approach specifically are you seeing this?

#1 Kodiak Devs did a FANTASTIC job with the Kodiak, and I commend them for releasing a great plane.
Over time, with a few more Developer tweeks, it will be even better.

I love the flying in MSFS, but I am also Aerospace Engineer, and hence cannot wait to see the Kodiak fly a better ILS approach, so I had to get into the AP Pid, and see what I could do to sort it out. I am sure the Devs will soon have a better PID setting fro the Kodiak, but till then, just to prove to everyone, that it is the Kodiak PIDs that are causing this issue, I did a few personal mods.

CURRENT Kosiak PID response – Localizer Needle on ILS
Kidiak_Loc_Needle

For REF: The C172
c172-ils-loc-needle
Not bad - could be better…

Kodiak with Modified PID
Kodiak-modified-Pid_ILS
A little aggressive (maybe reduce gain a little), but when flying the ILS with this PID, it "Feels’ Rock steady & tight.

I don’t want to step on the Developer’s toes, but will share my Mod with the community, in case anyone want to try it, while waiting for the Developer’s Update.

z-Kodiak-ai-mod.zip

NOT Optimum, but workable. I few hours work maybe to optimize both Loc & GS, but that is not for me to do .

10 Likes

I’m impressed, that’s a lot of work in such a short time.

Great to see SWS knows about the issue.
And amazing to see such improvments and fixes from the community as well!

Please share the link to your mod here once you uploaded it on flightsim.to or so :slight_smile:
Thank you