Lack of Amount of Real Time Traffic (90% less than what's happening)

Could there be a delay as a safety feature so people with bad intentions can’t know the exact location of planes? Don’t the know the answer, but a serious question.

I did not say that they promised us this upon release.
But considering that Asobo managed to implement almost everything that they showed in their partnership and world preview series, I don’t blame people thinking that the lack of full realtime ai traffic is a bug. That’s not a problem. Asobo did an amazing job with this sim. And I don’t think anybody has a problem that this is still being worked on. People just didn’t know, that this is not a bug, but work in progress.

Here are some links to this topic. One is in German. I pasted the relevant quote right after the link. It ruffly translates to “Every airplane, that is in the air, will also be in the air in the sim.”

https://www.golem.de/news/interview-die-liebe-fuer-den-flight-simulator-war-immer-da-1911-145260.html

Golem.de: Welche Daten fließen noch in den Flight Simulator ein?

Neumann: Wir verwenden richtige Wetterdaten in Echtzeit. Und jedes Flugzeug, das gerade unterwegs ist, findet man auch bei uns in der Luft. Man kann selbst hinfliegen und zusehen, wie das andere Flugzeug über die Wolken saust.

Yes, they never said that it is going to be fully implemented upon release, but they didn’t denied it either. Other than with Helicopters, Vr and Seasons, Asobo didn’t explicitly say, that real time Ai is a feature coming after launch. So I guess that added to the confusion. Again, no problems there. I don’t blame anyone.

This is a bug forum. OG thought this was a bug - I replied this is a wip according to the feedback snapshot.

You don’t need to complain. I don’t think anyone is complaining because this feature is not implemented yet. I only pointed out that this is wip. And those who are complaining probably just thought, that this is the final state of what Ai will look like.

3 Likes

discovery series

1 Like

Could be. I don’t really now. Will be interesting to see what the final implementation will look like :+1:t2:

1 Like

Alright well my apologies for starting this thread. Wasn’t trying to be controversial at all. I now understand Real-Time Traffic is included in the WIP “AI Traffic”.

1 Like

You did nothing wrong. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Lots of AI traffic should equal performance hit so wouldn’t surprise me if they limited it to a number based on the number of real players on the server.

That makes sense @RogueSquare1024 . We all know what pre-covid19 air traffic looked like in certain parts of the world. That many planes could cause some serious issues.

Yeah I’ve had issues seeing live traffic on most of my flights. It’s usually only a couple airliners flying around and then a couple players. Today though I think live traffic was fully working because the approach to KSAN was PACKED with planes on the radar. Had to be like 7+ planes lined up to land within ~10 miles of the runway, and others coming in. It totally broke ATC. Socal Approach radio was POPPING. I couldn’t even switch to tower freq. or ask approach for a transition or anything. The buttons wouldn’t show up. I was in line to land, but diverted to KMYF. I looked up the radio channel for KMYF Tower on Skyvector and manually typed it in to the plane and switched to it. I still had no buttons to ask for a landing, so I just landed anyway. Once I landed tower started talking to me and I was able to switch to ground and ask for taxi instructions.

Also when I was in line to land, an airliner flew past me. I could only see the lights, the plane itself was invisible. I was flying in the evening for Pacific time, and it was still plenty bright out.

You did nothing wrong, the AI issue needs to be highlighted and I share your concern about it’s inconsistency and low numbers, especially at airports where there is more often than not, for me, little or NO AI traffic movement.
I did post this in another thread, but I am adding my support here as I believe it is an important issue to be voted and highlighted, and hopefully developed.

2 Likes

I haven’t fully read the Wishlist, but instead of just Real Time Traffic ON/OFF, they give us the ability to select the amount of real traffic - like with a slider and percent scale. I’m sure if they pull in all traffic, it’s going to take hit on some users hardware and internet connections.

1 Like

It seems like the data is really off in terms of timing! I witnessed FIN1338 taxiing and take off while Flightaware already had it 25 minutes in the air?! Also BAW1350 was similar and nearly half way to its destination on Flightaware whilst in sim it was still taxiing. Landing is slightly better and between 5-15 minutes between seeing in sim and landed on Flightaware.

The AI Real Traffic is not working:

• The traffic is not at all what FlightRadar24 or FlightAware are showing.

• In addittion when a plane is shown, the model is not corresponding to the real one (you can have a beech bonanza in lieu of a Boeing777 !) and there is a minimum delay of 30 minutes with what FlightRadar and FlighAware are displaying.

• Last but not the least the RealAI traffic planes models have a very unrealistic sharp nose.

3 Likes

Real-Time traffic seems to be working much better today. I have seen arrivals and departures mostly congruent with FlightRadar24, although quite a few are total misses when it comes to type of aircraft.

Delay seems to be highly variable. A couple of days ago I had about 5 minutes of delay between the game and FlightRadar - today it was more like 30 minutes.

I had a real-time Boeing 737 flying straight through me on final. There doesn’t appear to be any kind of AI taking over to coordinate with gamer planes.

Also, when real-time aircraft land, they sometimes just disappear on the runway. Alternately, they spend a lot of time getting to the taxiway, causing ATC mayhem.

1 Like

Made a flight last night from Seattle, WA (KSEA) to Orcas, WA (KORS) at night. Started on runway at Seattle and saw no movement on ground from in cockpit. Rolled and lifted off and once up in the air my radar was showing flights around me. Several I diverted to prevent collision, even though they could have been 10,000’ higher or more than I was. I didn’t see any visual indication of aircraft lights from the cockpit which stand out IRL at 10 miles. Once down at ORS there was also no movement which I would expect to be accurate.

90 minutes in JFK waiting to have some action on the SID and not even a single ACFT showed. Traffc set at 60%. Doing something wrong? Any help guys?

I’ve done some investigation into what is going on here. Hopefully this is helpful. My conclusion: it works, just not how you might expect and the number of active planes around an airport is less than you think.

1 Like

For real time traffic, there is no slider, so I think you might be confusing the slider for static ground traffic and real time traffic? RTT is either on or off. You need to enable it in 2 places - first in the traffic options - select real time traffic ON, and then in the data options - select real time traffic data ON.

1 Like

I know I was concerned about not seeing any other planes on my first couple flights. I jumped right in to flying without reading all the information about the game though. After preparing for a group flight this last weekend I took the time to find the options that turned traffic on. AI, Live Players and real time flight. I believe friends was an option as well.

I’m still new myself, but it is there.