Lake partially frozen

Flying in Northern Ohio on the shores of Lake Erie today I was (pleasantly) surprised to find the lake within maybe 1/2 mile to a mile of the shoreline to be frozen, with the rest of the lake still normal. I don’t think I had seen this visual feature in the sim before and was impressed! Btw, this was running with live weather and Bijan’s 4-season’s mod (which I don’t believe played a factor in this).

5 Likes

I thought I saw that yesterday coming in to Thunder Bay. Nice!

I did a flight this AM out of Cleveland, and I noticed it as well!
No Bijan scenery in my setup.

I live in NJ and last week it was in the 50s here. New York Harbor, and the Atlantic Ocean were frozen solid in the Sim like we live in Siberia

It takes time to Freeze, and time to Thaw. Its been bitterly cold in the NE for some time, no wonder thing are Frozen, even if we had that one fluke 50 deg day.

I am more surprised the sim is simulating the slow Freezing & Thawing over time !!!

Seen it many times, it was introduced since the SU which brought winter, can’ t remember which one.

-eelis-

If I had a nickel for every time NY Harbor and the Atlantic Ocean froze off our coast, I would have zero cents. It should have never been frozen.

It does happen occasionally , but not recently

3 Likes

And if you fly nice and low, and out toward the edge you’ll see the little chucks floating toward the ice pack as well.

Except yesterday I flew outta burke in the morning and the lake was frozen and there was snow cover. Left the game came back a couple of hours later, and now it was like summertime again green trees, un frozen lake, no ground cover etc…kind of weak this part of it. Until the ice and snow stays even when the sun is out well then I guess its not really live weather (OMG Im turning into one of them hahahah!)

The other thing about NE Ohio is that Little Mountain (the foothills of the Appilation mountains)
appears to change elevation depending on what time of day your flying. LOL? I live on and around that mountain all my life and I know for sure it doesnt get taller or shorter as the day wears on…

*Side note in defense of Live weather, the local tv station weather report showed a small isolated pop up patch of rain on radar the other morning, and when I launched 20 min later it was actually depicted in the game right where they said it was going to be … Kudos on that

I’ve seen a mixture of partially and completely frozen lochs while flying over Scotland in the sim, and agree the depiction is very good. Interestingly the small upland lochs were frozen solid while the large ones showed partial or no ice, so it seems some thought has gone into the process and it is not dictated just by ambient temperature. Whatever, the mechanism is not perfect as there was some ice on Loch Ness, which I believe has never happened?

Nonetheless I think it’s a great improvement on anything I’ve seen before in a sim, and should be applauded.

3 Likes

I think there was an issue with live weather later in the day yesterday. In the morning, there was snow cover and the reported partially frozen lake around Cleveland. But last night I flew out of KCLE and there was no snow or ice anywhere and 100% clear skies. I haven’t tried again this morning to see if things are back to “normal”.

Same in Norway. Was flying in southern Norway and it was about -1 or 2 and there was a big patch of frozen sea along the coast.

Not a massive issue but something that needs to be addressed at some point.

That is a daily occurance.
see this post

1 Like

This ^^^^^^

I noticed it on a flight across Lake Michigan en route to KORD, it is a very nice touch and quite reasonable for this time of year.

1 Like

99.9% sure this affect is only represented when using live weather

2 Likes

Lake Eries been the same, I like how when you fly out along the edge of the ice there were little chunks floating as well.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.