LANDINGS Boeing 747 - too fast considered a crash

I am flying realistic settings. I do think the conclusion that you crash and the screen turns black is not realistic.

Even when there is a slight deviation of your wings to the left for example after touch down due to winds, the game consideres it a crash when in real life there wouldn’t be any damage at all… or in worst case very slightly.

We live in 2021, is here any way to make this more realistic?

If the wing (contact point) touches the runway due to an excessive bank angle and with a too high force, MSFS correctly registers a crash.
It can’t crash just a bit or damage the wingtip and/or engine nacelles.

That said, I have the crash damage always turned off since it’s (obviously) not too realistic.

edit: just checked and if MSFS uses the values from the cfg file, there’s indeed a bug, since there’s virtually zero vertical speed required to trigger a crash.

If you want to keep the crash damage, you could try changing the vertical speed which triggers the crash in the flight_model.cfg file.

But Microsoft can’t solve this issue?

I am the only one having this issue?

If the wing hit’s the runway, you are damaging the aircraft IRL as well, so it’s not really an ‘issue’.

Concerning the simulation part of MSFS, it’s definitely better to crash in this case than to ignore the wing strike.

If you don’t want to it, simply turn it off.

I don’t know if it hits the runway. I can’t see that.
I just see that it crashes very fast from the moment there is some movement. Or when u hit the runway a bit harder.

That never happened with FS X and PMDG aircraft. I fly since 95 and landed several times an Airbus 300 in a real simulator for pilots. So I believe my skills are not the problem.

And also wondering why Microsoft doesn’t make it more realistic. Turning crash modus off shouldn’t be the solution anno 2021.

Can you explain this bug please? I dont understans

A crash on the 747 is only triggered if your ROD is a way too high 1500ft/min, or any part of the aircraft which is not part of the landing gear, hits the runway.
So no general bug IMO.

The ‘bug’ is that a crash is being triggered as soon as e.g. the wing touches the runway.
Most designers build in a vertical speed limit of e.g. 500ft/min, so if the wing hits the runway with a lower vertical speed, the wing simply drags along the runway instead of immediately triggering a crash.

That said, I don’t know if MSFS even uses the cfg values. I’ll test that ASAP.

@Bernardinho84
Just tested and you can even slam the 747 with a ROD of 1000ft/min into the runway without any problems.

To trigger a crash the bank angle must be at least 11°!
That’s a lot more than on the real 747, because at 10° half of the outboard engine nacelle is already buried in the runway.

You did use the realistic settings?
Strange.

It is not the nose down that is the problem. It is the horizontal aileron movement.

Ok I will check my settings. Thanks for the effort

Because yesterday I already touched down with the rear wheels but it detected a crash 2secs later.

My plane banked a bit to the left after touch down. So the touch down is not my problem.

Yes, fully realistic.

That’s the way I could provoke the crash, because the bank angle was greater than 10°.

What was the crash message? I always get ‘you collided with an object’

Indead… collided with an object.
It’s just that I never had this problem with PMDG Boeing 747 in FSX. PMDG is nevertheless realistic no?
It was a flight from Brussels to Chicago. Bummer…
Thank you very much for the effort.

On four engined aircraft the outboard nacelles are very low to the ground and don’t tolerate a large roll angle.

Usually in FSX/P3D you get an awful scraping noise if you are touching the ground with anything but the gear.
If the PMDG 747 doesn’t crash and doesn’t create a scraping noise than the MSFS version can be indeed considered more realistic in this area.

I’ll experiment with the contact point on thte 747 today and let you know.

edit: just checked the RW manual and the roll angle limit is 7.5°.

The stability in general was better in PMDG.
I find it more difficult to control the default Boeing 747 in fs20.

Maybe due to controls. More realistic? I don’t know

I’m only talking about damage. If you can drag the nacelles along the runway without any feedback, than this is definitely not realistic.

So in this case I think Mfs is not realistic anno 21.

When not engine fire/loss engine etc with real alarms etc when It happens.

One should think that now it should be possible to simulate this instead of just a black screen with one simple communication: u hit an object

Each to his own. Until MSFS you were not aware that the roll angle on the 747 is critical.
Apparently you learned something from MSFS what you didn’t know when flying the PMDG 747.

Furthermore failure and damage simulation have been discussed a long time ago and no company, if it’s Boeing, Cessna etc. wants to see the gear collapse etc.

This is first and foremost a flight and not a crash simulator.

Even in multi million dollar Level-D sims, the simulation willl simply stop when you crash.

Yes you are right!
Thanks for all the help!

1 Like