Large FOV on Pimax casues occasional glitchy frames

I have this problem using the PimaxXR runtime but not the SteamVR runtime. AMD 5950X, RTX 4090, Windows 10.

1 Like

I will retry with SteamVR tonight. If confirmed I will pass it on to the PimaxXR developer. Thanks!

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OPā€™s steps to reproduce it?

Yes

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

When using my Pimax 4K and have the large FOV the background will disapear. Only after switching to a medium or smal FOV I have a fluent screen again without glitches.
In Oktober the large FOV was still working fine, and due to work I could not update it until this Christmas. Which triggerd this response. It took me half a day to analyse the issue and switch to medium FOV.

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

I donā€™t know how many times I will write this againā€¦

I donā€™t use steamVR.
It is running by pimaxXR.
As you can see from the past videos, it was an environment that was operating without any problems before SU10.
And, up to now, there have been no troubles in other games.

If necessary, please use my video.

Iā€™ve reconfirmed it occurs on both PimaxXR and SteamVR.

4 Likes

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OPā€™s steps to reproduce it?

Same problem here. 3090 /Pimax 8KX / Ryzen 5950

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

1 Like

I did quite a bit more testing. The intermittent nature of it makes it difficult to track, so Iā€™m not 100% confident, but I did spend 2 hours simply testing for this glitch.

A few things became evident:

1). Performance did affect the likelihood of the glitched frames. Occurring much more frequently when frame rates were lower, but even with high FPS (higher than I would simply achieve in lower FOV or lower resolution).

2). It occurred in PimaxXR and SteamVR.

3?) The menus are also distorted with large FOV, such that buttons on the bottom become off screen as the FOV is changed. The state of the FOV upon start of game determines the menus.

4). I have been unable to ever see this occuring with Normal FOV.

2 Likes

I also confirmed that there is no improvement in the latest state.
In addition, along with load, it seems to be affected by altitude as well.
At high altitudes, it subsides somewhat, flashing about once every 20 seconds, and at altitudes below 300ft, it reaches a level that may be harmful to health.
Incredibly, no change at all.
It is very disturbing that there is still no announcement.
When will the next chance come?

This is not likely to be fixed as a hotfix, but rather as a part of a more comprehensive update, which is usually long-preceded by acknowledgement.

Best-case scenario: Asobo notes the problem before SU12 beta goes public, ā€”> we will see an improvement in SU12 - either the beta or the release.

Itā€™s not a fundamental change (like support for canted displays was). Thereā€™s likely an overflow error somewhere where they literally never expected to have such an FOV in use.

Real problem: Does Asobo have a Pimax HMD to test with?
Thatā€™s why they need so much information brought to the correct developers -otherwise theyā€™ll assume all is well or that the report is a one-off event. They need to hear that this is affecting all user in all situations.

Large FOV functionality will be especially important when the Pimax 12K is available.

It also helps when they see how important this is to users, so encourage fellow Pimax users to vote up the post.

Iā€™ll try to test this week, where I will only change the FOV setting and try to grab some video of the occurrence of the flickering.

1 Like

Thanks! Iā€™ve tried to use my phone to catch the glitches but I seem to have terrible luck catching it when Iā€™m recording on my phone vs. screen- the HMD runs at 37.5 or 45 FPS, while my display is 60hz, so the misposed frames get skipped or something when I try to record. I see them in the HMD but not in the recording (or itā€™s possibly due to compression or the recording speed - not sure)

I pass through the image of the LCD monitor to another PC and record it.
As far as this trouble is concerned, it seems that the problem is observed in the same way on the monitor side and the pimax side.
However, in my opinion, I donā€™t think there is much meaning in testing with a lower viewing angle.
I think itā€™s a PIMAX raison tale.

I never expected it to last this long.
As common sense as an adult, itā€™s bad to make people wait too long.

For example.

I bought a new PC case and power supply, and finished working on a layout where the 4090 can be installed.

I really donā€™t know what they plan to do with the wide angle VR bug.
Buying a $2000 GPU is a frenzy because if they decide to ignore it completely, it makes no sense for me to buy a 4090.

Every time I miss a chance to make it through a low price sale that sells out quickly, I get a little frustrated.

If they are willing to do even a little, I think they can at least make an announcement.

In normal FOV, the field of view is still much larger than any other HMD. The difference to Large is actually negligible as the edges become increasingly blurred. And for FPS performance itā€™s better anyway.

same here, iā€™m in Normal all the time. Itā€™s still a huge FOV. maybe if i upgrade to 4090 Iā€™d switch.

I used to go down mountain rivers at very low altitudes.
When I mistakenly flew without the maximum viewing angle, there was no sense of speed, and I felt a sense of incongruity, such as apologizing for my judgment when drifting.
In any case, I donā€™t think thereā€™s any point in arguing about personal differences.
The important thing is that certain abilities that used to work without problems are no longer usable due to the bug.
If someone says that this is not a problem and should be forgotten, neither we nor the manufacturers will be able to determine the performance necessary for the next generation with peace of mind.

1 Like

surprisingly with a 4090 I get CPU bottlenecked, the large FOV is nearly free.

1 Like

In my testing, the frequency of this trouble depends on the conditions under which it occurs:

惻Various image quality settings
惻Sampling resolution setting

• Proximity to the ground
    惻Tilt of aircraft
  • Body size
    惻Ground topography, building density
    惻MOD load

Lowering the load will reduce the frequency of occurrence, but this is not a sufficient countermeasure.

Suppose violently with the power of 4090
Even if it can be resolved, the following should be verified:

Is it the highest image quality setting at the highest viewing angle?

Doesnā€™t it happen on any aircraft, on any flight?

Is there any problem in the MOD environment that works normally before SU10 and the MOD environment that currently works normally with other equipment?

Are you getting enough FPS?

These are things you would expect if you had a 4090 before the SU10.

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000120251

I have sent the following information.
It may sound a little disrespectful, but what they are doing to us is already more than disrespectful.

About the blinking problem in the original viewing angle of PIMAX, which worked fine before SU10.

We have sent reports many times since SU10, but to our surprise, itā€™s been 4 months and itā€™s not even in the Known Issues section of the update.

I compressed the video to 90Mb, but your server refuses, so Iā€™ll post the link.
(URL)
In the video, it is easy to understand around 2 minutes and 20 seconds.

What are you going to do about this issue?
do you recognize
Please answer and announce.

ćƒ¼ćƒ¼ćƒ¼ćƒ¼ćƒ¼ćƒ¼ćƒ¼ćƒ¼ćƒ¼ćƒ¼ćƒ¼ćƒ¼ćƒ¼ćƒ¼ćƒ¼ćƒ¼ćƒ¼ćƒ¼ćƒ¼ćƒ¼ćƒ¼ćƒ¼ćƒ¼ćƒ¼ćƒ¼ćƒ¼ćƒ¼ćƒ¼ćƒ¼ćƒ¼

Iā€™m probably so sensitized by older discussions about the ā€œterrible distortions in largeā€ in connection with ā€œabsolut not playableā€ that Iā€™m happy to point out that there are other modes as well. :joy: :joy: