Last Hail Mary for Help. I CANNOT Land an ILS approach

Perhaps i wasn’t clear… Yes it is FS2020. And I did say i was flying the Boeing 787 that is included. Here is a copy of my latest post… BTW, all of what you said worked flawlessly for me in FSX. Here is the latest:
Ok I have tried this 3 more failed times. Here’s what its doing now… I get to WAAYN and i descend to 4000 feet then to 3000 feet. I try to cut airspeed to 145 so maybe, just maybe, it will catch the GS. It wont let me. I shut off the AT and the ALT HOLD and try to slow down manually. IT WONT LET ME. It turns itself back on and speeds up. I have tried everything including shutting off the autopilot master. I try again to slow down. It turns itself on again and speeds up and climbs back to 3000 feet. This airplane is POSSESED… Nothing i try to do will let me slow down and try to find the GS. I literally cannot control it. I cannot seem to control anything manually…
I REALIZE i am not a pilot. I don’t even play one on TV… But I really enjoyed FSX and had years of fun with it. This version at least for me is a NIGHTMARE!!!
None of the rest of you seem to be having any problems with this… So it obviously is ME …" Sigh"

I have a i7 7700 processor with 32Gb DDR4 memory running this program from a dedicated SSD running through a NVidia 1080 Video Card. I run the graphics at the optimized NVidia recommended settings.

I don’t fly airliners because 1) I don’t know how and 2) folks who do know how say there are significant issues with the FMS and AP that keeps them from being a good learning environment right now. I have specifically heard there are wonky things with LNAV in airliners and VNAV doens’t really work in anything big or small. So I would suspect something along those lines to be the problem because you sound like you at least have a general idea of what you’re supposed to be doing with airliners.

I will say, however, that ILS works fine in GA planes, glass or steam, with or without AP involved. Most of those with AP don’t have an LNAV mode, just HDG and NAV, so they avoid that airliner problem. And few (if any, maybe the bizjets?) have autothrottle so you have to control altitude manually. But anyway, you get proper vertical guidance from the applicable instruments and can follow it right down to minimums and find yourself perfectly placed.

On the off chance you’ve never tried an ILS in a GA plane, here’s how that works in this game. If you’ve already done this, my apologies for wasting your time. But if not, perhaps you can glean something from this that will help you with airliners.

In a GA plane, if using AP, you get to the IAF in HDG or NAV depending on how you set the flight up, what ATC said, etc. Either way, you arrive there at the proper altitude for the (frequently) level run between IAF and FAF. You have the localizer freq already dialed in and active on NAV1, and somewhere near the IAF you switch the CDI from GPS (magenta needle) to NAV1 (green needle) so it’s now tracking the localizer. NAV mode doesn’t care, it follows whatever source you’re using, and will establish the localizer if you let it. But anyway, about there you switch to APR mode and you’ll see the glideslope above you. As you continue (level or descending slightly) towards the FAF, the glideslope marker will come down to meet you, at which point you throttle back to descend the rest of the way keeping pace with it. APR mode is keeping you centered on the localizer but your manual throttle and pitch inputs are keeping you on the glideslope marker. And so you get to minimums and either continue or go around.

As manual altitude control on the glideslope works perfectly well in GA planes, perhaps you can do the same in airliners, provided you’re getting accurate guidance on the applicable instruments.

REJOICE with me friends !!! I finally figured out what the problem was… In the “Assist” settings, i had it set to “Landing Assist” Apparently, when that is selected, the autopilot decides your altitude and speed settings… Why it never worked, i’ll never know… But i un-selected that feature, and I have control over the altitude, GS and speed !!! And i had a lovely flight and subsequent landing in gool ol’ Indianapolis on runway 5L.
I am rejoicing greatly !!! Yippee Yahoo…
THANK YOU ALL for your help and responses. I am very grateful for the input and help… Perhaps soon, I will be able to help others.

2 Likes

Glad to hear. There are so many settings in this sim!

@IamUncleMikey

I cannot overstate how good this advice is. Some airports are just effed, even the hand-crafted ones (EDDF, for instance, has 25L+C+R in the game but their 25C is 25R IRL and their 25R is a bit off to the side and called 26).

PS: Oh, only now do I see the “solved” bit. :slight_smile:

I think what you are experiencing is simply bugs. Thought I don’t have access to the 787 to test, I’d venture a guess that its autopilot is as glitchy as the others, and specifically has the problem of oscillating pitch.

If you do all that I wrote, and in other sims it works and it doesn’t here, then I’d comfortably say there are bugs at play.

All of the assist/assistance options should be removed. They don’t help newbies learn things properly, and would only increase confusion.