Latest WMR/OpenXR On Windows Insider Build (21H1 - 19043) ... One Quarter Reprojection Rate Added?

I am not getting the 22.5fps lock but I’m also not seeing a 106.* runtime.

If I DO NOT click "Use latest preview OpenXR runtime:

Then my runtime in the System Status tab is:

If I DO click "Use the latest preview OpenXR runtime (and restart the OpenXR tools):

Then my runtime in the System Status tab is:

So, not only do I not have a version 106.* runtime, my runtime version seems to actually be OLDER when I select to use the latest preview! Either way, I still don’t have the 22.5fps reprojection.

Any thoughts?

Although it is possible that the latest OpenXR helps with something on the Rift S, the Developer Settings in the OpenXR Developer Tools for Windows Mixed Reality (the preview runtime, the custom scaling, the Motion Reprojecion) are not used by any Oculus headset (Rift or Quest). These settings are only for WMR headsets.

I do not doubt what you are saying … but immediately after installing the openxr tool and setting the recommended parameters I followed more fps and everything became more fluid … on oculus debug I have everything off …

1 Like

Perhaps try opening the Windows Store app and check for updates

1 Like

Sorry but the tool only changes settings for WMR. Oculus isn’t affected by it.

Tried that, including uninstalling and then loading from the store again. The version of the OpenXR developers tools itself is the latest. It is the version of the “latest preview runtime” that is not as expected.

Full AMD here, 5800x + 6800 xt. HP reverb g2. Works like a charm. 45 FPS with High setings…

I have exactly the same issue. I’m in the insider program and have v106 for the dev tools, but I’m stuck in 105 in OpenXR and can’t see an update in the store and reinstalling allways stays in v105.

I would think that not being able to switch to the v106.* runtime is related to us being in the insider program, but the original poster must be in the insider program. I even tried uninstalling OpenXR itself, which has only led to intermittent failures to go into VR mode, which had never happened to me before. So, don’t try that. So far, nothing has changed the fact that I can’t get the v106 runtime. I wonder if it’s related to what “channel” we are on in the Windows insider program. I’m on the beta channel. What about you @jafergon ?

Same here, on the Beta channel, might be a question of changing to another branch…

@SwiftwingUK What “channel” are you on in the Insiders program? Apparently you don’t need to be an Insider to get this change, but there are some of us on the beta channel who cannot get the latest openxr runtime (when we select this option, we do not get the v106.* runtime) despite the fact that the OpenXR tools themselves seem to be the latest version. Updating, uninstalling, re-installing the tools does not help. Trying to find the difference between those who do get the latest openxr runtime and those of us who don’t. With the older runtime, obviously, the 22.5fps reprojection is not implmented.

Win 10 Home, 20H2, Compilation 19042.928 - I did absolutely nothing and OpenXR was automatically updated to v106 on my system.

I have a newer build and I’m stuck in OpenXR v105. Maybe MS is rolling the updates in batches depending on hardware specs or something.

1 Like

@Radeks40 My OpenXR tools itself is updated. “About” shows what I think is the latest version:

However, when I enable the option to use the latest preview openxr runtime, the runtime version shown on the “System Status” tab is an older 105.* version rather than 106.*. If you are seeing the 22.5fps reprojection working, can you check the System Status tab of your OpenXR Developer Tools and see what version is shows for the runtime version. As you can see, mine is showing 105.2102.11004, which does not have the new feature. This despite selecting “Use latest preview OpenXR runtime”:

just to be 100% sure: are you on the latest W10 beta via the insider program? Because that seems to be what gave me the 106.2104.15001.0 version…

Hey. I am on the Beta Channel and have the 106.2104.15001 Runtime…all I did was upgrade to 21H1 and update all Apps in the Windows Store, so not sure why you cant seem to get this. Could it perhaps be a rollout thing from Microsoft?

That’s my guess, maybe it’s a rollout by stages. I’m also in the beta channel with the 21H1 build and not v106 for me :frowning:

To be clear, no insider program here.

There’s indeed something wrong as in my case it shows v106 in both places:

Maybe try to reinstall OpenXR.Make a system restore point just in case:)

I managed to get the runtime updated to v106 by unistalling OpenXR and openXR Dev tools, then deleteing the entries in the registry “Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Khronos\OpenXR” and then installing again.

@jafergon Congrats on getting it installed. Have you tried it to see if you have the 22.5fps reprojection?

Guess what? I tried the steps you outlined and I STILL do not get the v106.* runtime! I have tried uninstalling in a different order, rebooting or not rebooting, installing in a different order, installing OpenXR automatically be starting Mixed Reality Portal, installing OpenXR by running the OpenXR tools and having it install OpenXR. So far, nothing has worked. I still get an older non-v106 runtime when I enable the option to use the latest preview runtime. This has become quite the challenge to figure this out.