Let's collect locations with water masks already applied

The good news is that in the latest community video the guys at Asobo directly addressed the issue of missing watermasks and told us that they are planning to add watermasks in an on-going series of ‘small data patches’ (i.e. not giant multi-gigabyte downloads). Fingers crossed for SE Asia!

Video here: Developer Q&A Twitch Series: Top Community Questions [11.25.20] - YouTube

1 Like

Flightspots! Such a great tool!

Lovely stuff! WOW!

signed up and bookmarked!

Thx for sharing this!

2 Likes

Took a trip here a couple of days ago after the latest update, looks like this area unfortunately broke with the update. There’s only a little bit of it left along the shores now. :frowning:

Hey @speedwoblz glad you like it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, flightspots…what a fantastic site :+1:

1 Like

The area around Honolulu has masking now

9 Likes

Found a couple more spots with nice water masking in Japan. I don’t currenly have the japan update installed, not sure if that will have any effect on the area.

3 Likes

Is FlightSpots your page? It’s great!

Hey, glad you like it :slight_smile: Yup, I’m part of it, any locations uploaded as “Flightspots” is usually me.

The idea is to map the world with great locations to explore in the sim. It is community based so anyone can sign up and add their favourite locations, so feel free to add a location if you find yourself flying over a great spot :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Gran Roque, north of Caracas…

5 Likes

The people’s water!

2 Likes

Notice that I chose the new MSFS ‘water mask camouflage’ livery :joy:

@LMeX @ClayishCoast9 @LivingBird26348 @zkdos If you all find spots with nice water masks could you post some of them on World Tour Flights? I think these are some great areas to fly and it would be really valuable to the community to have these stored, searchable, and shared on there.

2 Likes

5 Likes

That wasn’t there a few weeks ago. Nice find!

Yeah I went back to see if it had been updated, and it sure had :slight_smile: looks like the boys and girls at
Asobo is going over the areas again and updating them with water masks. :+1:

3 Likes

Hey Smef,

Just went and checked out the location in Bay of Islands, New Zealand that I had seen water masking back in November and it no longer shows in the latest version of the sim.

I also checked out the following well known South Pacific reef locations and they are all showing as blank default water as of 7th Jan:

Tonga
Rarotanga, Cook Islands
Aitutaki, Cook Islands
New Caledonia
Samoa
American Samoa
Tahiti & Bora Bora

Hopefully Asobo come up with the master list of masking locations they mentioned late last year!

Well that’s quite disappointing. I’ve heard of this happening a few times. I’d have expected the water masking to be increasing, not decreasing. Oh well…

That looks not good, as we truly expect the water masking coverage to expand…

I’m not sure if it was mentioned but there is a little of blue water at Shimojishima. RORS Airport. Unfortunately a little foggy this morning