Let's collect locations with water masks already applied

Jökulsárlón (Glacier Lagoon) in Iceland looks epic with the watermask after WU5:

17 Likes

Great shots.

1 Like

Guys, it’s happening!

The last update gifted us with water masking of much of the Caribbean!

Basically you can go from Turks & Caicos to Grenada (including St. Marten, Antigua & Barbuda, Guadeloupe, etc.) and always have it beautifully done. There’s too many screenshots I could post here, but just to let you know. Absolutely stunning.

There are a few exceptions like Jamaica & Martinique where the masking is still missing.

Enjoy!

9 Likes

There’s a fun landing challenge with gorgeous water masks if you take a bush plane out of the FMCR airstrip in Mayotte and head just off shore to the east. Don’t forget your snorkel.

13 Likes

I wonder if they’re going to be adding more water masks before the game releases on Xbox Series X next month so it looks like the trailers we’ve been seeing for so long. If not, I’m sure people will bring up the water masking issue all over again, especially since the Xbox Series X version trailer shows tropical areas with water masks applied.

My favourite thread! Is it a map available?

Do you also have a huge hole in the watermask on the bottom right corner of Mayotte ? I checked on Bing Maps and it looks fine there.
Take off from FMCR facing South, the hole should be right in front.

A shame because the island looks stunning otherwise.

Asobo promised one several months back but it is yet to materialise!

Asobo have water masking already on their very full agenda so expect future upgrades. Eventually they are actually looking at ways to map the seabed and implement tidal flows which if mastered by A.I. will save them a lot of time and work compared to masking individual locations by hand. However apparently it’s a long way off so we will just have to be patient.

So instead of doing it by hand they’ll leave it up to A.I.? I can already see a lot of issues with that happening. The A.I. isn’t even perfect when it comes to rendering places that don’t have photogrammetry, unless that’s something they’re also fixing as well.

The world’s land surface area = 57,506,000 square miles, without A.I. the guy doing all the hand fixes won’t even have time to stop for coffee.

1 Like

Some more water masks found around the Lofoten Islands, Norway:

2 Likes

Heum , did they just Water masked a whole lot of the planet ? :heart_eyes:

West coast of New Caladonia in the aptly named coral Sea which is of the East coast of Australia.

That last pic looks like a floating island!
Wonderful shots!

1 Like

I wish there was water mask around Reunion island :sleepy:

any new watermask added with the last world update VI?

The area near Faro, Portugal also has been improved!

1 Like

Updated watermasking around Lake Lucerne, Switzerland with the 1.19.9.0 hotfix today:

4 Likes

For some reason the Mayotte watermask has been butchered (clouds in the sea and an ugly corner tile). It’s right in front of the airport, so that’s problematic. This is the current version, compare it to the one you uploaded.
The satellite imagery on Bing Maps looks perfect, so that “new” watermask is unexplained.

current

old

1 Like