Let's help Asobo find what's wrong with lightning issue!

So I have noticed couple of things with the lightning everywhere and I need everyone to help me to help Asobo resolve the lightning issue or atleast find the cause of it.

I have been doing some testing and I have noticed that on my side, when live weather is enabled, the sim shows what weather we will have in the menu under “Flight Conditions”.

Usually the clouds on the global map “earth” are accurate to what game will display so it’s a good thing to take a look at various weather presets, by clicking anywhere and setting as departure.

My observations:

As you can see, different places for me show that there is differing weather according to “Flight Conditions” box.

South america shows lightning when we are here:

…but when i click to the south of where I was:

No storm.

Now I have decided to enter the game with the location chosen in last screenshot.

I’ve picked blue TBM instead of the XCub Crafters to get places faster and this is what I got:

I had lightning, despite game showing the cloudy only weather.
How weather looked:

I was in close proximity to the storm as you could see on last global map screenshot. This got me thinking about distance to storm cell being an issue perhaps.

Then I’ve picked Africa where I was not in close proximity to the storm:

No lightning, beautiful clear skies above desert.

What I need first is people to submit this kind of screenshot of in game global map, then as they load into sim, see if it actually has lightning.

I believe there may be issue with PROXIMITY to the storms. I believe either cells where lightning is are misaligned, or because of proximity to the thunderstorms, they are seen as cells that have lightning.

I hope people can make screenshots like these and help us basically help Asobo to find the cause.

So far I believe it might be proximity issue.

9 Likes

… yes I’ve noticed that too … when flying in southern Italy … I have a lightening app on my phone and noticed although there were some lightening storms in Albania just the other side of the Adriatic sea the sky was clear in southern Italy yet lightening in the sim. I have noticed though that this does not happen since the last update, at least in southern Italy. You’re right to help out Asobo … they appear to be working hard balancing all the plates to bring this complex sim closer towards perfection despite our frustrations👍

1 Like

i had same in israel before patch 4 then problem gone, and couple a days ago it’s turn back, and i find very fast moving clouds in virtual globe, so something with engine not with data

Here is a video of the problem. It seems like everywhere I go, if there are clouds there is often lightning. I flew into Istanbul last night and there was lightning, but no SIGMET and nothing mentioned on the METAR.

Lightning in KMIA with mostly clear skies…

Here is a picture of what the weather is supposed to be like there according to the world map:

Good idea. I will do some testing to see if I get similar results.

Asobo didn’t know about the lightning issue until someone mentioned it, so… good luck.

So after latest patch, lightning is still an issue :frowning:

1 Like

lightning here still LEMG

METAR: LEMG 302000Z 27003KT CAVOK 17/11 Q1024 NOSIG

Wont be too hard, i just did a flight across Europe. 400nm, 3 hours of non stop lightnings. Honestly this is really a bad joke.

What happened to all the zendesk reports?

What are you speaking about its in the top bugs list with hundreds of votes.

Lightning still issue after patch#5 in live weather.

Doesn’t Asobo test these patches anymore ?

In the Feedback snapshot, included in the last (October 30th) development update, the “Lightning in mainly sunny skies” issue is apparently under investigation, on their Backlog, so we’ll keep an eye out for a future patch.

This website is good to see real time lightning strikes and may help your investigation.

https://www.lightningmaps.org/

Lightning in Dubrovnik LDDU at this moment amongst other live weather issues.

I fly in Europe a lot, and have not seen much lighning, but whenever i fly in the US virtually every flight has lightning sometimes with no clouds about at all. Just this streak of lightning out of the blue…

I have to agree. When I fly in Europe, I never see lightning unless there’s an actual storm that should be generating it.

And I think that’s exactly why Asobo are clueless about the lightning issue and haven’t seen it / can’t reproduce it. They’re likely flying in Europe where this doesn’t seem to be a problem.

I fly in 3 regions mainly - the north shore of Lake Ontario, Florida, its bordering states and the Bahamas, and SoCal. Rarely do I see a flight without lightning. If the weather is working (and by that, I mean on days where it’s not stuck on the clear, 225/3, 29.92 setting), I get lightning.

1 Like

I have lightning in Europe all the time, from northern to southern Europe and from east to west…