Limited by coherentGTdraw

Hi Yorkshireborne, Thanks for confirming this. Seems to be a fairly rare occurrence these days … but still happens occasionally. Hope the Sim Update due at the end of the month - and all the performance improvements promised - banish this one into history!

1440p ultra everything
AMD Ryzen 5800x
RTX 3080

Normally I get about 55ish frames in New York City in the FBW a320
I decided to do a flight today from Chicago to New York City and noticed my frames dropped to the low 20s mid-flight.

I found that disabling Navigraph from the custom toolbar fixed my issue, and now I’m getting 78 frames. I was getting the same output, “limited by coherentgtdraw” I have no idea what’s going on, this is the first time I’ve ever had this problem, and it’s a deal-breaker for me because I love using Navigraph.

Hello, i am getting this sudden drop in fps 4 out of 5 flights…all was smooth until an hour into the flight and the fps suddenly dropped and everything became slide show… so i shd disable the atc from top bar? Please advise…i have this issue very rare in the past but am now getting this problem frequently…in dev mode i can see the limited by coherentgtuithread or sumthing in the red…

1 Like

Hi there!

I used MSFS2020 from july to october, without big trouble other than flaws regarding scenery development and errors placing airports. Nothing so serious.

I stopped flying for a couple of months, and today I opened it again.

Automatically installed last updates, and made a short flight (half an hour). Everything was just OK. Then I went away leaving the game open, airplane cold and dark parked at APRON.

Returned back an hour and a half later, to find the game turned into a piece of junk, absolutely unusable, a slideshow of 4 FPS or less. Closed it and re-opened.

Everything looked just normal. So I prepared a longer flight (about 2 hours) from SAZF (Olavarria airport) to SARP (Posadas airport). The airplane chosen was the Daer TBM 950 default.

Planned it, loaded flight plan, and took off. Climbed to FL290 and followed standard route, no weather in route, everything was normal, and then… suddenly out of nowhere… ATC started to play distorted, shimmery… so I checked FPS.

I read this problem also happened a year or so ago, it was quite extended and got a top-ranked position in the bugs-to-be-solved and was handled quite quickly.

Anyone experiencing this issue?

Everytime the sim get’s an uplift in performance it put’s more pressure on your hardware so if you were already at your limits before the only real cure for this is to tweak it back down again or to upgrade/overclock.

As for the pic above I’ve never hat it but to me coherrent thread limited would suggest a memory leak possibly caused by scenery but also possibly by third party apps, mods or devices that may need optimising or updating.

Coherent is the third party UI system they use for the game UI (buttons. menu, poi markers, toolbar) and also to draw the aircraft cockpit screens. It’s basically a HTML browser and works with HTML5 to draw the screens and UI.

The system is made by Coherent Labs https://coherent-labs.com/

CoherentGTDraw module is responsible for drawing the UI/cockpit screens together with CoherentGTUIThread. So if the addon/default sim has bad code it will affect this thread or when there is a memory issue with the module itself. Its third party code so probably very hard for Asobo to fix these issues fast.

They work with this UI system combined with the Asobo graphics engine and 30 year old flight sim code. The development is very complicated because of this.

4 Likes

I was not in my limit, at all. I’m running X-Plane 11 without ANY problem.

It was working fine before last update.

Have no third party software. The plane was the default Daer TBM 950.

Have no third party sceneries. At all.

It happens by itself, the trigger is about one hour running. Even running cold&dark it suddenly drops fps.

I have read many complaints like this in the past (at the beggining of the game). Never happened to me until now.

So, since I have NO third party software installed, it will be very easy for Asobo to fix it.

Hope they fix it soon.

Meanwhile I will stop using this game and get again into the real sim: X-Plane.

X-Plane 11 is five years in, I certainly would hope they have it working by now

It’s decades in, it’s based on Xplane 10 which is based on Xplane 9.

But still Asobo needs to fix these bugs ASAP, these bugs have been an issue since release and in the mean time they released plenty of new content but these bugs are still here.

As far as I can see, MSFS is still based in FSX, which is based in FS2004, which is based in FS2000, which is based in FS98 and the chain continues up to Bruce Artwick’s SubLogic Flight Simulator II (I started even before it with flight simulators) :slight_smile:

I am currently beta-testing X-Plane 12, and have no different complains than those I always had.

I know my computer is not the most powerful in the market, but it is still well perfoming in most games and demanding software.

This won’t let me add a link, but there is a thread in this forum that is reporting the very same issue back in March 2021. So they should already know what is this all about, and it’s a time related thing. Something is going wrong at about an hour or so of the sim running that ruins it, and I don’t know what is it.

This is my 'puter right now:

It is well above minimum requirements published by M$. I’m pretty sure the problem is not on this side of the system… I’m pretty sure they screwed it up in the last update.

That’s M$ of doing things… ha ha ha ha :slight_smile:

MSFS is by another team and another graphics engine, flight model, weather, and important for this topic the UI system.

What they did was extra difficult because they had to take ownership of ancient code written by another team and implement it in their graphics engine. That’s why it’s a mess.

They just released it too soon, probably under time pressure from MS.

Who is the TBM 950 developer? I’ve been hoping someone would create this for MSFS because it has the AutoThrottle which the stock TBM 930 does not.

Happy to see this issue still exists in January 2022, like is there something we can do to get some attention about this crucial issue. Like getting this some votes, don’t know

1 Like

If anyone still wonders … Yes, the problem still exists with an addon I have, SimEFB.

As soon as I open a “moving map” with a grabbed image, the game starts to stutter and I get the error Limited by Coherent GT UI thread.

2 Likes

Last time I had this issue closing vfr map, pausing, changing view ecc. did not work for me. Can we make this thread/issue votable?

1 Like

Thanks for this explaination. But why was this not testing by Asobo together with Coherent-labs?
I got a early Alpha-Access to the FS2020 and i was happy abot. I flew hours without any error like this FPS Drops after few minutes to hours, without sound stuttering etc . Since the “migration” from Asobo to get the sim running on xbox as well, i have trouble. It is not very professional to produce some errors and then they are not able to fix it soon… They´re not testing something before releasing it. This Sim was made for PC Player, later they implemented things, to get the Sim run on xbox as well. Now the Console Players do have a sim and PC Player have a Console Game which runs bad on PC. Congrats Asobo.

1 Like

Super that is the absolutly truth about this sim and very sad thing. I 1000 times agree with you
and actually Asobo cheated us PC PLAYERS because we bought a pc game in august 2020 and not a half finished xbox game.
I’ve had problems since update 5, fps stuttering, ctd’s, fps performance problems, live weather problems etc… since the update a mega terrible problem that nobody can explain. if i turn developer mode on and off the problem goes away for a short flight but if i want to start a flight again i have to do the same thing again.
At every airport no matter with or without add on (safe mod) i get a stuttering of the fps on taxi and runway and a white loading bar down right every 1-2 seconds.

it’s not getting any better, it’s getting worse and worse in this simulator, I’ve come to the point where I don’t buy anything anymore, I mean, why am I spending money on a faulty simulator.

I hope that xplane12 will do better and that we users, we hobby v-pilots who love simulations, will also get a simulator where we won’t be cheated and ripped off, at some point you lost trust with every update and it can’t be that I as a user have to be a scientist in the end to start the simulator as well. It cant be!!
I doubt that Asobo and Microsoft will try to give us more information in the future, that cooperation will be possible, i.e. with a hotline where you can call etc… We will see anyway thank you for the response here every loud voice is important!!

2 Likes

I had the same problem with NeoFly. After searching for, and deleting, every instance of simconnect on my computer, and then doing a full uninstall and reinstall of everything (on to a new, Non-OS NVME drive), things got better.

The moving map in NeoFly, however, does still occasionally cause the rhythmic stuttering (a spike every 7-10 seconds) when enabled.

It leads me to believe that most moving map software will have the same effect, due to its reliance on simconnect, and the CPU hits required to keep the map synced with the sim.

Hello after a year, I am experiencing the same exact issue on SU12. Specs are 2060super with ryzen 5 3600 and 32gb ram. Thought it was a memory leak at first. Anyone got an idea on a fix? PS. happens with an empty community folder as well