Live Developer Q&A is starting now. Feel free to discuss here

Happy to see that the two are still thinking positive and show a lot of energy. Keep it coming!

1 Like

I came here to echo what others were saying about how they misinterpreted the scenery gateway system.
They must’ve had custom scenery mixed up with airport scenery. We should’ve put (similar to xplane) in the title haha. Hopefully they read these messages and can give a more updated statement on what they think about an AIRPORT scenery gateway that uses default assets provided by the sdk.
Edit: I said “dying”instead of “saying” lol

1 Like

Jayne is emailing Asobo for an answer :slight_smile: Will report back!

2 Likes

So, theres hope? :pray: what did they say about navblue and charts? Imagine it we could make a realistic and complete flight plan just in game. :sob:

Great Q&A I wish we would get some sort of email notification of upcoming ones so we can prepare our questions. I never catch them live.

I believe this is already explained in great details and voted more than 600 times here:

and here:

https://gateway.x-plane.com/

1 Like

Indeed. Apologies for the missing the point of the question. I did ask the devs and once I get a response will post it here!

8 Likes

No worries at all! Thanks again for everything you’re doing! :slight_smile:

I enjoyed the Q&A quite a bit. I have confidence - not that I didn’t already - that Flight Sim will progress nicely toward a smooth experience for all.

I was most intrigued by the mention of beta-testing. I’m already signed up, but count me in on being a willing beta/alpha tester with experience as both a computer builder and a real-life private pilot.

Can’t wait for VR to be implemented. That will be a game changer! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You know what, this is the best Q&A I’ve heard in a while. Super honest, and I’m with MSFS for the long run.

These guys are so passionate and they clearly care about MSFS!

8 Likes

Really disappointed that weather wasn’t discussed in further detail. One of the previous Twitch sessions, they briefly mentioned a hybrid METAR based system. We need more accurate weather. I’m tired of the altimeter not even matching.

Totally agree with you about the super honest and passionate.

1 Like

We absolutely do not need the ability to upload it directly back to the sim for everyone to use (which sounds like what you’re asking for? I apologize if your idea is more in line with what follows in my post), because I don’t want Joe Random to rename the taxiways at my local regional to F, U, C, K, and Y, O, U as a “joke”. Anything like this would need to be vetted by an internal team first. Now, I’m sure it’d probably be quicker for an internal team to check someone’s work than it would be for them to make the changes themselves, so I’m all for allowing us to submit a layout file with fixed taxiway names and gate numbers and such, but it’d absolutely have to be okayed before it was released for public consumption via official channels.

5 Likes

Oh for sure, that’s the solution that we’ve all been pushing for. Would 100% have to be vetted by a moderation team, not only to make sure that things are appropriate, but also to make sure that they are both accurate to real life and better than the previous submission.

Look at the process the X-Plane Scenery Gateway System uses: https://developer.x-plane.com/?article=airport-scenery-gateway

2 Likes

Agreed.

The SDK, however, is not for the faint of heart. Some of the pages in the documentation simply say TODO. :thinking:

Great notes. A few other things I picked up on:

• Multi screens being worked on and they clearly understand the need to re-render side screens and not just stretch around
  • Visibility will come in two parts - improved aerosol slider so that visibility can be reduced to maybe 2-3Km (this to be quite quick), but to go further requires some “lighting forumula” change that will take longer, but they will get there
  • They are sourcing world data from a number of sources and when they apply updated data, anomalies can ahppen - they can’t check the entire world, so are relying on the community to spot and raise these issues. Specific reference to the windfarms in the cities issue was made. So raising those zendesk reports for scenery issues is important
  • They were open that they could not test everything for every sprint and this is what has led them back to the beta testers to help provider additional testing
  • The draw update was referenced as not being expensive at long distances in terms of FPS and hence should be doable
  • The mentioned data partners and finding the best world data (e.g. DEM and mesh updates) several times, and were committed to continually improving this
6 Likes

There was a forum thread opened a few days ago for questions to be posted and voted on. Just need to keep an eye out for those.

Yep… it was all very good stuff. The call for a new pool of ongoing beta testers is very cool. I really like how they said - more than once - “we really need you.” They seem very committed to making this work as a collaborative partnership with the end users. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

How did these dev’s, who made a point in the Q&A that they pay attention to the forums, not know about the request to remove the press any key annoyance that’s been around since day 1? There are memes about it ferchristsakes. If they keep telling us how much they value us and how they’re great at communicating with the community, maybe we’ll start to believe it.

I’m also curious why ASOBO aren’t employing pilots as consultants (especially since there’s thousands currently unemployed due to Covid) and are instead expecting to get the feedback they require from the community.

1 Like

No mention of gliders? Seriously, just one would make me happy. Anyone who loves the joy of flight must know that a sailplane is essential in a flight simulator.

2 Likes