LIVE TRAFFIC BUG. / MSFS2020 Freezes around the 20min mark / workaround is to turn off live traffic

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons? If the issue still occurs with no mods and add-ons, please continue to report your issue. If not, please move this post to the Community Support section.

Yes

Brief description of the issue:

After around 20min the sim freezes! It doesn’t CTD just freezes. Had to go to task manager and shut the thing down. Couldn’t complete a single flight. THE BUG WAS THE LIVE TRAFFIC! Switched to OFF and completed the flight.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Just fly with live traffic ON

Many issues may be due to an outdated graphics card. Please state your Graphics Card Driver Manufacturer (NVIDIA, Intel, AMD) and Version (Learn how to find your current graphics card driver version):

latest

PC specs and peripheral set up:

9900K RTX3090 32GB RAM M2

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

1 Like

Hi @bodyspike,
Can you double check that you’d removed all your mods/add-ons including liveries and marketplace content?

It sounds like Live Traffic might be loading a ‘bad’ livery and causing this.

Cheers

Hi, I don’t have any add on liveries installed. All the world updates are installed via marketplace. I also use generic liveries to ease the cpu load.

2 Likes

Hi @bodyspike
Was this a one-time freeze, or are you consistently getting a freeze at around 20 minutes into any flight? There are quite a few topics about freezes (just run a search with “freeze” in the title), for example:

It’s consistent on every flight when live traffic is on

I have the same issue, thought it’s not at a consistent time point. No crashes since disabling live traffic. Only mod is PMDG 737

Ryzen 5 5600x 16GB RAM RTX 4060

@bodyspike
Well, that is just weird. :worried:
I’ve had freezes on flights in the past (though none recently on the latest SU15 builds). Using Live Traffic is my default traffic choice, and my flights can last up to a couple of hours.

One test you could do is to start a flight with Live Traffic turned on. Fly for 15-18 minutes, then go into the Data settings and set Live Real-World Air Traffic (LRWAT) to OFF. Then go back to your flight. In theory, if LRWAT is the sole cause of the freeze, then you should now be able to fly past the 20-minute mark.

At, say, 22 minutes, go back into settings & turn LRWAT back on. If the sim freezes shortly thereafter, LRWAT becomes (is confirmed as) the prime suspect to this mystery. If, however, you fly around for another hour, say & land at an airport full of Live Traffic without a problem, then the cause of your freezes becomes more complex.