Live Weather Does Not Match

I tested again and I have to amend what I said before: it just doesn’t work anywhere. The wind is never like in the metars, same the temperature. Sometimes it’s close, but I guess it’s random

Yup my experience exactly. To those who arent really checking, it may seem close enough on the ground. But its definitely wrong everywhere. Also the surface winds always seem sort of on the calm side.

Go and spin around the world map and click on different airports to show their wind. Im hard pressed to find a single gusty/high wind airport anywhere lol

Hi, im departing Orly (LFPO) and getting pretty close numbers to what windy (windy dot com) reports. remember to change the altitude on windy to see winds aloft values and also you can see the metars of thousands stations.

EDIT: I only get it working on my FIRST FLIGHT after launching the game. If I want it to work on another departure airporte i have to complealy close the game and start again.

Remember windy dot com use the ECMWF global model whilst the sim uses the NEMS global model run by meteoblue… although data from both should be very similar.

3 Likes

its absolutely pouring and storming outside my house right now. Haven’t used the sim yet today. Gonna fire it up fresh and see what it gives me :slight_smile:

I think they turned it off for whatever reason, or its flat out not working.

Been overcast all day in the UK yet they have had it set to clear.

2 Likes

Yeah ATIS reports rain, in plane NEXRAD and Radars show rain. Ive got overcast with no rain or wind in the sim

I just saw you can choose NEMS in WINDY as well. BTW, NEMS only calculates winds aloft till 5000ft apparently. Dont know how Microsoft get the information from upper layers.

EDIT: In my experience in MSFS above 5000ft winds doesn’t change.

1 Like

OH, I will try that.

I fly in and out of South Wales a lot and i get correct weather…strange.

I had this issue yesterday, it seems to be more widespread, I’ll try just live weather the first flight and check against the METAR

When flying in south wales are you getting a constant winds aloft of 225 at 3 kts?

Same here. Weather depiction is horrible with live weather on.

In my case, the actual depiction of the cloud conditions seems to be accurate, but the local ATIS is completely wrong. Telling me theres few clouds 400, few 900, blah blah, altimeter is 29.76 when IRL it’s clear and 30.11 for example. Yes I have live weather turned on.

1 Like

Live weather is quite broken at this point. If you load the sim the first flight will kinda OK. The weather looks like its the weather of an hour before IRL. But the worst is if you go back to main menu and start another flight, no more live weather just clear sky. Trying to select a preset and return back to live weather dont work. Only restart the sim.

4 Likes

Yeah, I don’t even get weather on first flight after load. There are blue skies only, wherever on the globe I try flying.

actually just looked again, no winds are stuck 3 at 225. :frowning:

2 Likes

This is a really frustrating bug, as accurately morphing real-world weather was the main attraction of the sim for me (aside from the scenery). And it doesn’t even work.

This release has been a total mess.

4 Likes

I had the same issue. I started a flight in the middle of pacific’s storm Genevieve (east of mexico). On the plan’s map wind and rain were visible (with filters). After loading, only a beautiful sunny day.

1 Like

Wait im confused, the winds ARE or AREN’T stuck for you lol!