Live Weather Does Not Match

The best chance to see such clouds is during early morning Zulu time.

Weather like pre su7 before 8 AM UK time, photos and videos provided!

1 Like

Yeah, I’m aware of that issue too. Anyway, I think there is also a problem with the way the sim manages the opacity of the clouds. Take a look here:

Many times, when watching the fuzzy cumulous we have been “enjoying” the last year, I can’t help it and think that if they were more dense, the cloudscapes would look so much better. So maybe that’s the issue. Weather inaccuracies aside.

2 Likes

Pretty close I think

1 Like

i wanna cry when i see these kinds of videos

Let it snow! - YouTube

2 Likes

Halcyon times, for sure. Then it was all tragically ripped away from us, sacrificed on <insert_altar_here>. But its coming back, slowly.

Oh yes. The glory days of MSFS before all the Sim Downgrades.

4 Likes

Live now at LPPR (clouds and rain):

Live now at FS20 “live weather” at LPPR:

:clown_face:

7 Likes

@deluxeparkpt

But on satellite rather clear … and “licht bewolkt” = light clouds 45 mins ago on the weather report.
Metar does not show overcast either

Hello,

I can say nothing special, you can have some delay. Today I’ve monitored heavily METARs and went to airports around Europe and discovered very good realism, yes, sometimes some delay was there but that was cca 20 min what I expect as ok. Munich was as my test also and there was differently, on Munich real METAR - rain and on other (also my used) web sites about weather - cloud formation arrives with rain. Sim? Rain :wink: Many METARs infos reported update cca half hour before, as I started to check them. I can say that from my discoverings till today from SU10 release, weather is really very good. What is also perfect, is very good also to my home airport IRL, if I look outside window it’s very real. What can I say? Our LZPE doesn’t have METAR so I’m satisfied. I’ll do tests in next days without problems.

Has ben said numerous times in this forum: we can either have a weather system in MSFS sometimes out of phase with real world but otherwise consistent and realistic, or we can have it matching METAR literally causing sore thumbs like sudden redraws and shifts, manufactured gusts, etc.

“Blending” which appears to be the magical solution cannot overcome the difficulties in assimilating observations into a weather model where all variables are related through a system of equations.

1 Like

I hadn’t tried the Rex Weather addon in ages, and fancied making some comparison shots. Here is Portland with sim default live weather:

And unfortunately Rex crashed my sim, just like it did yesterday. Still, live weather looks good today.

Upgraded Rex, and it now doesn’t crash.

Looks pretty close to me. The main difference I see is more uniformity in Rex. You can see that when you adjust the time of day, and the sun is never fully obscured, unless you are looking edge on through the clouds. With sim-default live weather the sun is variably obscured.

Let’s see what it looks like up top.

Here is Rex again.

And here is Asobo live weather. Clearly some altitude differences here:

There is much more variation here, which can also be seen from the ground.

KLAX now, the usual towering mess, considering it’s not stormy here at all in real life. Are we back in SU7 again?

8 Likes

Just landed in Grenada, the World Map page said 265 @ 5, Meteoblue says ENE @12-17! Slight difference there. Not only that, I started cold and dark at the airport, the GNS530 in the sim had my flight track taking off to the west, into this supposed 265 degree wind.

Overcast at 900ft, erm no. Weather is still bad. METARs in SU7 have made weather depiction worse and weather doesn’t even match them anyway. What was the purpose of the change in weather system in SU7 can someone enlighten me?

Also just look at the clouds, this is ULTRA!! To me looks even worse than I would expect to see on LOW settings. Just terrible.

6 Likes

Especially when there’s a low cloud layer like in this case, the depiction is the worst ever.

It is atrocious, worse than FSX for sure.

1 Like

Can’t be worse than FSX. FSX used simple pictures as clouds. Worse than su7 that i can agree with. Maybe FSX may had METAR as a source of weather but that does not make it more believable/realistic. Weather is a fluid, not solid for 30 minutes.

Accurate means static because it uses known data as a METAR. METAR is known and static. The more accurate we get it the more static it will feel.

Look at a METAR-report for 30 minutes and you realise how static and non-dynamic it is and also how generic it looks. BKN looks exactly the same on every METAR that reports that state. Thats not the case IRL on those airports.

I just mean the quality of clouds in the last screenshot. It looks definitely worse than FSX.

3 Likes

Agree, the issue i see in you screenshot is that it feels like it can’t be overcast above us if the clouds are too low. Maybe to increase performance or something. I rather loose some FPS to have the weather as it should be instead of removing clouds to get more FPS. Getting more FPS i buy new hardwere to achieve.

1 Like

But sometimes it does do it (put the overcast above you). That’s what I can’t understand. Had a great overcast at Boston on Tuesday.

So I don’t understand why there is the inconsistency. And more worryingly I don’t think Asobo do either. Today I have the usual fluffy puffy cumulus and the cauliflower towering CBs, there is nothing else.

It’s like that sometimes they forget to switch metar weather on, and we get the wonderful meteoblue weather. personally, I think we are never supposed to see this “good” weather.

8 Likes