Live Weather Does Not Match

I’ve been flying every day this week (last 6 days), and weather has been inaccurate for each day. Today I started in Chicago- should be cloudy, cold and snow on the ground. What do I see? clear skies. Yesterday, was all over the country- weather not accurate at all. Used Weather Force instead.

When is this going to get fixed once and for all? And yes- I have live weather selected. This is getting ridiculous.

yeah, I’ve been having the same problem all over the country for the past week. I don’t know what the persistent problem is with weather, but it’s really getting annoying.

There seems to be no capturing of precipitation or visibility conditions in the sim right now. Also clouds seem to be very generous and rarely low. There are many places in the U.S. right now that are <3SM visibility and <1000’ ceilings with snow, but none of them are showing that in game. The temperature, wind, and pressure are correct, so something is going on.

1 Like

I believe the “live” weather in Italy has been working in the last days, but the wrong way.
Where I live we have had almost constantly rainy conditions IRL in the last 2 weeks, and I’ve always found rain in the sim. The matter is that clouds height/bases and visibility expecially during rain are completely messed up.
I like the new weather engine, but what is the point of having nice weather engine if it cannot translate the constant METAR observation easily obtained live from local stations (and hopefully interpolate between them)?
Why would you invent a new fundamentally unreliable system based on a predictive AI weather when you could rely on live observations?

Heavy rain and hail at my home which is 2 miles from KVNY. In game, partly cloudy skies and no rain or wind.

Hey,

Has anyone found anything near to a work around for the weather issues yet?

I’ve been experimenting with the meteoblue website, which I gather is where the sim gets its data from. I thought I was onto something, OK the weather may have not been accurate, but I was able to use various maps and the meteogram to predict what the weather would be in the sim. It was all going so well, I had changed the default source from ICON Auto to NEMS Auto, and it seemed to be accurate with what I was seeing in the sim (if not accurate to real life). But doing the same thing elsewhere now, it just doesn’t match up.

It’s so frustrating.

I just want to be able to prepare my flights, ,checking the weather en route for clouds, icing, winds etc, and at the destination to know if I am going to be able to land. If you are flying VFR you should not be entering any clouds and so knowing the cloud base on route and at the destination is important. OK not everyone wants to go into that level detail, but for some people that is what makes it fun! At the moment this is just not possible, so I fly somewhere I want to go that looks clear and then I just have to turn back because there is cloud that shouldn’t be there. Or, for example, in a IFR flight in an aircraft that can fly in icing conditions, there aren’t that many things more fun for me, and I’m sure others, then checking the charts and METAR, seeing minimums are 450ft with OVC005 reported, and you decide to go and sure enough when you get there you fly a great IFR approach, popping out of the clouds just before minimums and land. It’s such fun. Sadly not possible!

Do we know if it is a problem with the meteoblue data, or a problem with that data being injected into the sim?

I suppose a start would be to know exactly which set of data the sim uses. On the meteoblue website when looking at the source for data for the weather maps, there are 21 different sources, some region specific, but all giving different forecasts for things like cloud cover, cloud base height, winds, visibility, precipitation etc etc.

At the moment this is really ruining the experience for me.

Rant over!!

3 Likes

Unfortunately, I have not solved this problem either. I have been using real world metars/charts and just accepting that there is a difference between real and forecast weather and if the destination is not reachable, then I divert to my planned alternative, return to my origin, or ditch into a field as I possibly would in the real world.

At the very least, I just wish that there was a way to see the weather settings (wind speed, direction, temp, QNH etc.) that have been applied in the sim for the real weather scenario at the current aircraft position. Surely this must be stored somewhere and could be easily displayed on the weather menu.

1 Like

When this happens, I close the sim, right click on the app, go to more options and then click the repair button. Relaunch the app and live weather is back 100% of the time.

→ side rant :wink:
So why dont you goto a weather site, then just use the data there to make your own weather in-game. You know like you would IRL. That way even if the weather doesnt progress the way it should when you get to you destination, you can just re-edit your weather to match the current conditions. NO?

You have to remember that LIVE Weather is only that twice a day, and all other weather is predicted from that downloaded data.

where is this info from ? thought we have a “permanent” live weather !?? my problem at the moment is not the well-known “no live weather” bug - but that e.g. winds are right, air pressure is right, temps are right but clouds are missing or the weather is simply wrong.
I do a cross check with the MeteoBlue app and somehow the weather doesn’t match at all - but I didn’t have that before - it was always essentially similar to “what I see out of the window” ! I didn’t notice that before. I’m online and as I said, I’ve been using the workaround on the World Map for ages - it’s basically ok - only I’m missing a halfway correct cloud coverage at the moment !

Because the weather changes at each point along the flight, making this impractical.

Live Weather is never “LIVE” in the sense folks seem to think it means. It’s always an interpolated forecast. Even right after the weather model updates, you’re still using an hours old forecast. Even when the simulator injects METAR data, which updates way more often than twice a day, it’s still potentially an hour old and still an interpolated forecast. There’s just no way around this.

And that’s fine. The weather can be called “live” if it does a reasonable job approximating the current state of the atmosphere. But a lot of times it doesn’t, and for unknown reasons, and that’s the main issue.

1 Like

That information was posted by the devs, all the way back to before release. If you look at several reviews of this game, they stated the same. Weather is downloaded twice a day, and then predicted for the relevant time and location your at. I would think if they were going to give your true REAL WEATHER, they’d almost have to run their own servers for this due to the network traffic involved of all the users constantly querying the servers for weather.

ok I overlooked these statements and it is clear that live weather is not really LIVE weather - I rather think that the forecasts of MeteoBlue are used - it is also ok if they are correct!

Hi there,

since about December 2020, live weather doesnt work anymore - it just gives me clear skies, no wind, 15°C.

Any clues what to do?

Thanks

Did you enable LIVE Weather?
Is Data enabled under Options?
Have you “repaired” the MSFS App yet?

Also note the current workaround is to use the Clear Preset then enable LIVE weather once in the plane to avoid breaking it between flights.

Just a few places to start, otherwise, many threads about LIVE Weather exist.

Hi Solid Farrel,

I have tried all your suggestions, but nothing worked out.

Somewhere else I read about logging out of the xbox-live-Account and then logging in again.
Now I have the even bigger problem, that I cannot log in again and cannot really start the game, because at the loading-screen it asks me to log in the account, but nothing is clickable, it is just like an image and not a app (see screenshot)… What is this? Does anybody know?
I have

Check if you don’t have an Xbox live update pending.

Everything is up to date as far as I see - no updates available in windows update…
But the Problem still exists…
On the screenshot the “Anmelden” (=Login)-Button seems also to be slightly grayed out, something seems to be deactivated or so, but I dont know what and why. I cant run MSFS since logging out of the account in the main menu :frowning:

Following
Got the same issue since the last MSFS update (1.12.13.0)…

EWes24,

what issue? The weather-issue that I had at the beginning or the now newly experienced massive issue that I cant start MSFS at all? And what have u tried yet to fix that problem?