Live Weather Does Not Match

Same here!

i feel a big amount of frustration that I try to measure wisely so much it’s huge! I really didn’t expect such a lack of realism about the real weather! For isntance METAR/TAF tell you that it is stormy, turbulent mass air, gusty etc and MFS2020 provides clear skies or other “weird weather” even with CB but without any turb into the clouds??? It kills the immersion as a point you don’t want to go! … or you just don’t have the weather at all but CAVOK… Sometimes for some X reason it’s almost there, but you get to point B and the weather doesn’t match with the reality (METAR/TAF) of your destination, so that it is basically impossible to make a flight plan that mostly based on the weather conditions of the day! … anyway very frustrating, I can’t even do a single realistic flight or just enyoing the gorgeous panorama!

But the worst is that there is not a single word from MFS2020!!!

Yet they were so loud before the released date claiming that MFS2020 has the best realistic engine weather ever (selling point) so now we don’t hear from them anymore? How come! Even nothing for the next update?
Such an obvious failure should have been checked and fixed before the released date! But as a matter of fact if you check the list of bug-reports, there isn’t a bunch of legitimate complaints about the broken engine weather and that makes me worried, that shows that the majority of users do not care about this big part of realism that is missing, the corner stone of realism for a flight simulator: THE WEATHER!

I think they bought this game for other purposes, of course there is a place for everybody and I’m very comfortable with that because this game can create vocations as it happened to me with FS2004 and I’m still grateful for that! From simming I became a pilot and I’m still a passionate simmer even more now! without the sim it might had never happened to me! Therefore some simmers here for some of them who don’t know anything about aviation can be our futur captains tomorrow! :pray: :airplane:

Anyway, I do believe that so far MFS2020 is more an eye-candy very beautiful game (I’m still impressed and amazed about lights etc) but it is definitely not a sim especially if the lack of the minimum realism required allows you to fly a Cub in TS or CB without any danger that will occure in such severe conditions in real life even in XPLANE!

I’m not even talking about how the engine interacts with the elements such as OAT, mass air, clouds with differential of temperature, alti-pressure etc, it’s another disaster story it looks like there is no alterity which makes that game impossible to fly with POH (where Xplane is the best so far for all those things) etc but yes we have here beautiful fauna, lights, rainbows, clouds, big respect for the talent of the team and we also have some turb generated around and above the relief and some CAT the only realitic point that I’ve found in MFS2020… However it was supposed to be a Flight Simulator at the first place not a game !

At least if we already had a message from MFS2020 as fro instance : “Hey guys sorry we promised you the best realistic engine weather and we all know that it is broken and many of you guys bought it for that, we are working on it, a patch will come soon even before the major update! Be patient it’s coming” :thinking:
Maybe for Christmas ? Thank you Xplane you’re still there!

Ok let’s hope anyway… :smirk: because I really want this game becomes a flight simulator, there is so much potential, we just need a real weather and I’ll be ok to fly the DR400, one of the bird that has a correct flight model, not perfect but it’s ok, after A2A Simulations will come for study level birds but it’s a MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY to get an Engine-Weather for MFS2020 now!!! I mean a realistic one as it was planned based on a miryad of advertisings and youtube videos… so what now ? What next?

4 Likes

Do you get correct winds? On ground and aloft?

Winds have been an issue for a long time. It’s never correct for me. Other wx details are correct.

1 Like

Yeah always run as admin. As stated before winds aloft and general weather accuracy only seems to happen in europe for me. Sometimes the conditions are CLOSE enough in the US, but the winds aloft are ALWAYS 225@3. Which is a major fail.
I would Be interested to hear if it actually works in the US for you. If so, youre the first person Ive spoken to where the winds aloft arent 225@3 with live weather in the US

I think we need to make an important distinction. Live Weather CLOUDS are working. Live Weather WINDS are NOT WORKING. Just frustrating that it is such a prevalent issue and not a word from Asobo. I know at least 3 other people personally that all agree that the winds are stuck at 3 knots from 225

3 Likes

There has been some bugs before mentioned of ground wind always being stuck at 270degrees at almost every airport. Sure this has something to do with it being a bug still not fixed. Last I knew they were looking into it

I’m in Montana, USA. Winds on ground and aloft are generally 225@3 (sometimes 7). The only thing that is accurate is clouds and rain (barely), sometimes fog, sometimes visibility due to smoke (fires around here). Tomorrow is forecast 30MPH (48 kmh) winds so I’ll see what it does; besides make the fires spread.

To be honest, I think it is something they have to fix on their end and not on our end, because all we get is the information from the server(s).

I am sure that they know about it, but it doesn’t show up on the tracker list simply because they fix it on their end.

1 Like

Yeah I cant imagine this being a fix that we have to download. Because it DOES work, just in select places. Which is grossly different than what was advertised. They know its broken, they have too, they just cant/wont admit to it. Its legit the only true fail besides the install issues for some with this sim.

They were quite open about the simplicity of the default planes systemwise, and also quite open about how the scenery is a work in progress. They really hyped up the global nature of this weather system, its totally borked, and they aren’t acknowledging it publicly :cry:

1 Like

Absolutely!

1 Like

US simmer here; never seen anything other than 3 kts out of 225 at altitude, even flying through the remnants of Laura in western Tennessee this morning. Tried admin start, multiple reboots, etc. Clouds and precip seem reasonably accurate, but I haven’t confirmed against live METAR reports. I also haven’t tried flying in Europe yet (is it flying in Europe that seems OK with the winds, or is it simmers physically in Europe who are lucking out here?), but on my way there in the TBM out of Gander with my 3 kt tailwind as I type.

I also haven’t tested surface winds yet. The flight planner seems to update these more or less correctly when I turn on Live Weather, and the ATIS when I load into the sim reflect what the flight planner showed. But I’ve not turned on the winds report in the aircraft I’ve been flying to see exactly what the winds are until after I’m well established in the climb out (just keep forgetting about it until then).

Im in the US and I started to realize all the people having luck were flying in Europe. So I loaded up a flight from Heathrow. No fancy tricks (Didnt restart sim, run as admin, change servers etc.) and wouldnt you know it. Totally dynamic and changing winds aloft in the UK!

Im seeing a common thread on here that people typically fly in their part of the world. Therefore the Europeans flying in Europe think us Americans are nuts lol! (We sorta are but thats a different story not for these forums :joy:).

But yeah the few flights Ive done in Europe seem to be working much more accurately. I’ll admit I have less experience there as far as comparing actual METARS and whatnot to the sim. But the fact the winds aloft were actually different leads me to believe the whole situation is just working better there.

Yup… just keep fling the bugs via Zendesk.

@TermedWinner896 you will see as you near Ireland in the Sim, the winds will pick up. I think around 50 to 100 miles out I think?

I just filed a bug today and this is what it shows in the PNW. The Meteoblue data in Sim vs. their Website vs. what the Game actually shows.

Right now from SKBO to SEQM:

Looking quite good. It seems North America is the issue (mainly).

1 Like

yes. I notice the same

1 Like

Can’t figure out why I cannot select another login, so “TermedWinner896” is for the moment renamed as my stepson’s login, “keegan5kingpup”, lol.

Just finished my two-leg flight to Prestwick from Gander, via Iceland. I goofed on which airport in Iceland was the one that caused problems (it’s Keflavik (BIKF) with the crash to desktop bug, not Reykjavik (BIRK); predictably, I thought it was the other way around and chose the wrong one!)

Anyhow, mpvalmiki is quite correct; ca 200 nm west of Scotland, I started picking up winds. I missed the exact transition from 225@3 to 320@65, but I was still definitely pretty far out at FL310. Gotta say, SUPER refreshing to have actual winds to contend with again! Guess I’m going on a European tour until the weather bug(s) get fixed. Still no idea how accurate the weather I was getting over southwestern Scotland was … that’s a test for tomorrow. But at least there are winds to go with the pretty clouds.

Agreed, I would love to see a screenshot showing winds ALOFT (meaning up in the sky at cruise altitudes) that aren’t within a degree or two of 225@3 knots. If it works for one person in the UNITED STATES (lower 48), I will be surprised.

1 Like

So I contacted Meteoblue regarding our concerns when flying outside of Europe and I even highlighted the fact that while the Hurricane was depicted we only saw the usual winds.

Their response is in the attached photo :frowning:.
So asobo isnt acknowledging it at all, and Meteoblue is just sharing articles written by people who dont understand the issue and just liked the graphics. Just sorta shrugged off the issue and defended their model. Maybe the problem isnt on their end? Clearly its either a Meteoblue or Asobo problem, not mine. If it was my problem only there wouldnt be tons if discussion about this on the forums here.

Ill take my old school Active Sky that just works over whatever this is now.

1 Like

Well thats really disappointing, I really hope this gets acknowledged and addressed very soon. The real world weather was something that was totally hyped, and it’s not even working as expected, and we are still having to fight to convince the people that can do anything about it, that it is a legitimate problem.

1 Like

The winds aloft work fantastic… in Europe.

I’m trying to do the achievement from Bordeaux to Seattle. Winds aloft worked great (well, it was a headwind) until 100nm west of Ireland.

I fly a lot in northern Europe, once you get into northern scandinavia, north of Stockholm you lose the winds aloft.

I do not have winds aloft anywhere else I’ve flown, including north america, where I fly most.

edit: EVERYWHERE else the winds are 225@3
edit 2: I just picked up winds aloft again, N55 30 W14 60 (200nm west of Ireland). Winds 258@40 at FL400
edit 3: Just lost winds again, about 250nm west of Ireland, winds back to 225@3

1 Like

Yeah Its spotty at best, and if its a meteoblue problem they have yet to own up to it. Sure their model is global. Does that mean we are actually getting it though lol? Clearly we arent, and either them or asobo is at fault but neither will admit it. Super super frustrating

I flew out key west, and had good winds for a few mins then I hit a massive windshear near the mainland US coast and it was a sudden shift to 225@3

1 Like