Live Weather Reports and Discussion

A quick reminder the Alpha/Beta NDAs are still in place, you are not allowed to discuss pre-release versions of the simulator.

For more information please view this post: NDA Reminder for Alpha/Beta Testers.

Clearly there seems to be an issue with lower and ground level winds not working. Wind seems to be locked at 1-3kts everywhere. Report to Zendesk.

2 Likes

Guys, letā€™s keep things calm and not go into toxic areas please. Yes thereā€™s something wrong about weather data, letā€™s report that in Zendesk, thatā€™s what it for after all. Also please do not mention ā€œAā€ word in any comment - weā€™re not talking about that at all.
Back to topic:

Checked and rechecked. Itā€™s really random thing, more often then not it works. Sometimes it is just as MattJ253326 mentioned - no ground level / low level winds when there should be. I think itā€™s a synchronisation level error - something doesnā€™t get pushed through for some reason.

3 Likes

Tested a few locations and live weather was incorrect all the time according to the METARSā€¦ really really disappointing

1 Like

I always have the issue that itā€™s fine and accurate (enough) the first time I launch the game and the first flight (and I can restart and itā€™ll still be up to date). Then when I go back to the main menu and plan another flight, the weather live data is gone and itā€™s clear skies everywhere. As such, if I want to fly with live weather, I have to restart the game. Then it works again, for that one flight, and then Iā€™d have to do the same. As artscout said, it feels like itā€™s something to do with synchronization. The game on my end is not receiving the live data, or the servers are not sending my game the data. Hopefully itā€™s just to do with server load at the moment as the rest of the game has been great.

6 Likes

in the recent q&a asobo said there was no intention of the weather matching the real world metars. they are using a 3rd party weather model which may or may not correspond to the real world at any time.

Ive noticed the same behaviour for the free flights

Then how is it supposed to be LIVE weather, if it doesnā€™t match with metars?

8 Likes

oh thats been my question ever since they said it.

2 Likes

I think itā€™s intended to at least try and be similar to real world data, while not exactly matching.

From what I understood, they take the data received from the real world and use that to generate data in game. So the weather wonā€™t be an exact match, i.e. if youā€™ve got showers, it might not be showering at the same time, if you can see three clouds spaced apart a few miles they might have them in a different configuration etc etc. But the goal is to have them be at least similar to the real world and more importantly be synchronized between players.

Of course, I only have the same info as you guys to go off, so I could be completely wrong too.

1 Like

i think thats correct. its using a model from meteoblue, which presumably does use real observations, but that model is all we have in the simā€¦ the ACTUAL observations (metars) are not used.

1 Like

Using metars to inject weather is flawed as it only provides minimal weather conditions at and in the vicinity of an airfield. Furthermore, a metar can not possibly provide information on cloud layers above a low overcast ceiling as the instruments can not detect these higher cloud layers.
The use of the NEMS global model data from meteoblue is a far superior means of injecting global weather as it takes into account weather everywhere across the world and not just airfields. Therefore, proper and realistic representation of frontal systems, cyclones, MCS, MCC and a further plethora of mesoscale and synoptic weather phenomena is possible in the sim.

6 Likes

Donā€™t forget that 2 paramaters are essential in aviation, not only clouds and winds, but also temperature and QNH : thatā€™s the info the metars give. Switching to live weather, you only get the standard atmospheric conditions : 15Ā° C and 1013 QNH. Moreover, these parameters cannot be changed ! This is unacceptable for a game that is supposed to be a flight simulator. What will happen then if we want to fly online ??

2 Likes

If by online you mean VATSIM, I seem to recall that they inject the weather into your sim. So even if you selected clear skies as soon as you connected to the network the weather would change to be live/accurate to whatever degree they can manage.

Maybe a better solution is to use METEOBLUE when METAR data is not available instead of completely ignoring current live conditions. In almost every video I have seen of the release version the infamous 225/03 pops up.

Canā€™t wait for the ā€œMagic Build 225/03ā€ cups and tshirts merchandising. My money is ready.

thats all fine, but surface observations should match the metars

3 Likes

I could not disagree more.

METARs contain the more important informations for takeoff and landing, theses things are usually done from an airport and that why the METARs are useful only in the vicinity of an airport, you are right about that; and thatā€™s why itā€™s really important that the simulated conditions at a given time must match the latest METAR or else we cannot reproduce what we do in real life : first thing first, check the latest METAR.

I do agree that it can have some variations, but nothing dramatic if in the last METAR there is no TEMPO or BECMG. And in big international or regional airports a METAR last only 30min (else is 1h).

TAF can introduce more variations but METARs is averaged observations, I do not remember a real flight where my last METAR was off.

1 Like

Where is this Q&A where they said there was no intention of the weather matching real world weather? Because if thatā€™s the case Iā€™m refunding. I feel like they lied to us if thatā€™s true.

3 Likes

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/alpha-beta-developer-q-a/117369

Looks like I donā€™t have access to that forum.