Live weather stuck on data from 16th May

So I have to ask, why does a “fix” need to continually be reapplied? Or do you mean it’s now fixed permanently?

1 Like

Nothing is ever permanently fixed. A small change to something that shouldn’t have any effect on anything will inevitably break something important.

Yes, but preventing regressions should be one of their objectives with each update.

Item number one relating to “reduced bandwidth”. What that means is that they have changed the compression algorithm of the live weather data feed to make it more efficient, which would mean that only SU4 clients would be able to decode the new data.

That is probably why live weather stopped updating last week - they probably left one server to continue outputting the old format, (with static data) while the rest of the servers were reconfigured for WU4 with the new streaming format. Just speculation on my part, but the moment SU4 finished installing on my computer and I launched it the sim, Live Weather was “back” and up-to-date - which is exactly what I suspected would happen.

2 Likes

Something very interesting just happened. I am flying from ELM to DTW in the CRJ at FL260. I wasn’t paying attention to the weather outside, but passing about 50 miles south of ROC, I suddenly saw a flash of lightning. I thought “Oh, not that old s___ again”, because I did not think that any thunderstorms were in the forecast for western NY until tomorrow.

Then I looked at the current real-time NEXRAD radar in Foreflight, and by God, there IS a cluster of thunderstorms from the Lake Ontario shoreline to about 40 miles south of Rochester. I went to outside view and swung the camera to look north, and I can visually see an isolated cluster of thunderstorms in almost the exact position shown on NEXRAD.

Either Live Weather is right on top of its game today, and correctly predicted these storms would form in that location at this time… OR they are now using real-time METAR surface thunderstorm reports to influence Live Weather - or (almost too much to hope for), they have added a NEXRAD real-time feed to the mix?

Maybe it’s all a coincidence, but some beta testers have been hinting at some kind of positive change in Live Weather with SU4…

Hows your upper winds?

For me they were spot on until it got to the magic 20:00z time when many live weather bugs have usually come into play, and since then they’re just stuck at 300/30, when in reality they are double the speed. Usually around 20:00z previously the bug has been present where it loads in the weather model for too far in advance, it’s meant to be fixed but I’m not so sure.

Cloud cover is pretty off for me at the moment too, have a feeling the bug is still at play

The weather is most definately off again after 20z.
I just tried to start from Juneau and the sim gives me rain, the cloud cover on the world map deviates significantly from Meteoblues live coverage.
I haven’t figured out yet whether it reverted back to past weather or whether it is giving me a forecast of the future.

it’s back to the same bug as before, showing the weather for the next day. It’s pathetic now all this time, all these reports and still not fixed.

1 Like

Yup. Just checked it with the Meteoblue forecast. It is now showing the weather that “might” happen in 24 hours.
But to be fair, this issue was not on the list of fixes, and the next two Sim Updates are also slated to have further weather improvements.

It wasn’t, but there’s been numerous other times when we’ve been told it is fixed, and it never is.

1 Like

Unfortunately at my airport the live weather is still completely wrong. In Sion (LSGS) live weather shows the whole airport and surroundings covered in snow, when the temperature according to the metar is 14 degrees. The cloud coverage didn’t match the actual metar as well. Isn’t it possible to fix the live weather for the whole world according to the metar-reports or do we seriously have to check all 20’000 airports separately?

MSFS currently uses Meteoblue forecast model for cloud cover. The only data it takes from METAR is wind, temperature and pressure.

However there is a major bug still present where around 20:00z it loads in the weather for 24 hours in advance the next day.

And, I might add, the supposed fix of the better resolution of the snow coverage is also not working.
I tested it at Dobbiaco today (before 20z), looked at the webcams, and Meteoblue’s snow coverage map, and yet the whole valley was covered in snow, which did neither represent the live coverage I saw, nor what Meteoblue reports on their maps.

1 Like

Ok but I think they should change their strategy then, since it doesn’t seem to work…with P3D and XP i get weather that is quite spot on and matches the actual real values. And i still don’t understand where the snow is coming from if they get the temperature from the metar. There wasn’t any snow there since months.

The snow coverage data comes from Meteoblue as well. You can use their snow coverage map to see where there should be snow and how much.
I have a suspicion though that it uses the coarsest global coverage data instead of the more local, precise one.
You can see what happens if you zoom out this far: Wetterkarten | Live Satellitenbilder & Regenradar - meteoblue

The entire area seems to be covered in snow. However if you zoom in close enough

You get where there is supposed to be snow.

Live weather is still stuck for me after SU4. Still same thunderstorms in my area in the sim even though it’s a nice calm sunny day IRL. I checked other locations too and the Wx doesn’t match reality, so I don’t see any evidence that SU4 fixed the problem.

• dcc
1 Like

Same story as before with the trick I used to do by changing the PC time.

KBDN 252110Z AUTO 35009KT 10SM FEW044 BKN065 BKN085 15/04 A3009 RMK AO2 LTG DSNT E AND W

Using current time and live weather at KBDN gives clear skies:

Change my PC time to 17:30z then back to current time and hey presto what is shoudl look like:

If I change my PC time back then the live weather reverts back, too. This is not a solution

Nope it certainly isn’t, only the devs can give us that which they’ve failed to do for months.

@OlieTsubasa443 why is the forecasted weather for the next day being loaded around 2000z each day? This needs to be fixed! So tired of hearing how they ‘fixed’ things when they didn’t

2 Likes