Loading times are crazy

Watching the startup is like watching grass grow. I changed the music to the “legacy” FSX theme. When I start MSFS, I can leave the PC and go do something else. When I hear the FSX music playing, I know startup is finished and the main menu is displayed. No music means another CTD…

1 Like

Right, just sat through two startups with the stop watch and task manager.

0:00 Click on icon
0:57 black window/screen pops up for as second and disappears again
1:52 black screen
2:02 “safe mode” query (always pops up with the steam version :roll_eyes:)
2:05 installation manager/check for update
2:40 further startup screens
4:50 menu

• The whole startup process seems to be heavily CPU limited. It’s single threaded almost throughout the process and that thread more or less permanently maxes out a core.
  • There’s hardly any disk i/o measurable by task manager during any of the above phases. So if the taks manager is reporting correct data for access to my SSD I guess at least for quick startup the money for a new SSD is wasted.
  • There is some internet usage, mainly in installation manager phase and after. But it’s not that much and only intermittently reaching speeds > 1 MB/s.

So, if my observations are correct, startup is mainly calculations. What there is to be processed every single time that couldn’t be pre-calculated is beyond me. If startup would concern itself mainly with moving data from disk to RAM (my naive idea of a startup process again) it would probably be finished in a few seconds - at least with an SSD.
And if the processing would turn out to be necessary it should be parallelized.

Just took me 2:44 to load to main menu. If you can’t live with a 4 minute load time you should probably just uninstall it and leave it at that.

1 Like

Well I’m just so glad for you. We also can’t thank you enough for your valuable suggestion.

There’s just two things I wanted to bring up to help you understand a bit better:

• There are phases where we suffer from serial CTDs. For instance just the other day we found out that the new Pitts causes CTDs systematically in Multiplayer for me. It takes up to 10 minutes to start the sim and set up the MP flight. We had to do it 4 or 5 times.
  • Some of us might be creating content for the Sim. In that role it is likely that you start and restart the Sim quite often. The load time really hurts productivity.
2 Likes

Yeah, I hope Asobo knows that we cannot keep buying more third party content if each time it keeps increasing the load times. I log in 10x a day and I lost almost an hour SMH for the day. That’s with a high end PC too.

I currently have 25 GB in the community folder and 500 GB worth or DLC. My boot up time is around 6 minutes.

4 minutes for me too. Prior to SU7, I believe it was about 2 minutes.

1 Like

Yes for me too 4 minutes until i can reach the menu unfortunaly :frowning:

1 Like

I’m not a developer but think it obvious that it’s verifying the integrity of your install.

There can also be reasons some folk suffer long installs, slow mechanical harddrives, overfilled harddrives meaning pagefile swaps, fragmented drives, too little or disabled virtual memory, slow ram etc etc. and that’s before looking at any Windows settings and background processes. With up to date hardware it’s probably about a minute and a half.

1 Like

The loading time is longer. But if you update the fbw a32nx the latest dev it takes even longer to load in the first time.

Please enlighten me. I’m jumping at any opportunity for self-improvement.

1 Like

Please stay on topic.

3 Likes

In my case I am almost certain that it is down to the size of my community folder.
I run Ccleaner a few times a week, check for malware two to three times a week and defrag at least once.
I run W10 pro 64bit on an i5-6500@3.2 ghz, with 16GB RAM and a Nvidea GTX1060 6GB.
MSFS is installed on a 7200rpm 4TB HDD.
I occasionally start with a default game, which loads noticeably faster, just for a world or Sim update, although WU5 and 6 I forgot to rename the community folder until it was too late and the game was already updating.
I don’t use the addon linker because, pardon the pun, I am flighty. I look at the map choose a start and finish, I used to choose waypoints too but I can’t seem to do that at the moment, then I click fly. I rarely start MSFS with specific intention but instead, I choose routes at random, thus I need it all installed before it starts.
I look for places I have been, or see in documentaries and it gives me a new perspective on the world, a birds eye perspective if you will.
So keep it coming Asobo, I patiently await WU8 and all the treasures it will bring :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes I’m sure the volume of content has some effect, possibly indexing or even Windows defender checks however I really talking about the long, long loading times some folk are getting. Just a single problematic mod might do this amongst many.

As for your situation, why not create two shortcut folders on your desktop and just drag over what you need for your flight? you can do all your browsing on bing maps/google earth beforehand … this is also a good way of vetting mods if they ever cause problems.

Running a the sim on a grinder is going to slow you way down loading.

1 Like

Load times seems to be the same for me, about 3:30, and I have lot of stuff linked to my community folder, I have a M2 SSD, what annoys me most is the time it takes for the game to check for updates.

I start the sim and walk off and make a cuppa, maybe get a bite to eat, it’s loaded by the time I get back, or not, it doesn’t bother me. After the long load-in I have found that my chosen flights actually load quicker than before. I have no idea what my FPS are, I don’t care, as long as it is smooth enough to use I am happy.
The only thing that does annoy me is not being able to put a chosen waypoint in, that needs to be fixed and made LOT better than it was…

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.