Local Legend III: Dornier Do J Wal

Showing some love for the Wal

8 Likes

Iā€™ve been exploring Maine in it but I keep going back to the twin otter and junkers JU52 on floats

2 Likes

Pumping the throttle does not work for me. BTW on xbox on beta su9 I canā€™t even start the flight of the cabina bush flight. The interface has the fly button faded and unclickable.

1 Like

Pumping the throttle does exactly nothing on my end, engine still does no start.

1 Like

thereā€™s a lot that needs fixing on this airplaneā€¦a release like this is meant to be an homage to the original historically significant aircraft - but this one is just a caricature at this point.

Iā€™ll get it when and if all these defects are sorted out.

5 Likes

Overall I think itā€™s a fun plane to play with but the cockpit camera is too limited: it bumps into everything and you canā€™t move into the cabin although the cabin is modeled on one of the three variants (You get one static camera view from inside it) A few other problems are that the aircraft overstresses like it was built to self-destruct so you need to react real fast when you spawn in the air since there are only a very few water airports. You will immediately start pitching down into a dive when you start and your speed will reach the redline immediately. You will honestly be dead in seconds unless you immediately pull back and decrease throttle hard the instant you spawn.

Also, the connection between buttons and what can work while something is set is messed up. The positive aspects are that itā€™s a very iconic aircraft and as soon you managed to hold the aircraft it can make serious fun to fly around and look at landmarks over the old wings and just have the feeling of this old classic aviation thing.

2 Likes

This is really weird. You copied a lot of the phrasing from one of my earlier parts in this thread. Iā€™m not mad Iā€™m just confused.

2 Likes

I think the situation with the Antonov AN-2 caused this model to be rushed out - I guess as a way of maintaining some sort of schedule of released aircraft, so I suppose we should try to be patient with the Team at this point. That said - my position is and remains folks should do the best job they can regardless of any ā€˜deadlinesā€™ whenever possible, otherwise reputation, prestige, and trust are lost.
ā€˜Productionā€™ can be a four letter word when itā€™s used by management as a metric for evaluating team effectiveness - rather than the more important one of ā€˜qualityā€™
As to whatever else is being discussed hereā€¦

Am I the only one who thinks the sim should be more accommodating for seaplanes at some point? I mean I canā€™t see why we canā€™t spawn on the water or perhaps have a flurry of random official departure points in marinas. Maybe too much to ask for now I guess.

Hereā€™s hoping to see some improvements to this. It is a good looking oddball. Itā€™s sucks many canā€™t get a successful cold and dark start going, may be itā€™s not so bad we have to spawn in the air for now.

Whatā€™s the situation with the Antonov @FusionHorse151? I never knew there was one.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve started to gather together some free Seaplane Base Addons. Also useful for my Goose.

Gives us some options, but of course will take some time to get world coverage!

Here they are (but theyā€™re easy to find, so may not be that helpful hehe):

TFFJ - St Barthelemy/ Gustaf III Airport - Upgrade Ā» Microsoft Flight Simulator (look for the extra separate download on the popup)

Thereā€™s a bunch more in USA & Canada but I have not downloaded them yet. Here is the search page: Discover Microsoft Flight Simulator Add-Ons Ā» Flightsim.to

3 Likes

Not at all. The Fokker was, as a Local Legend aircraft, supposed to be released alongside the Iberia world update. If anything, the Staggerwing was rushed - but it works just fine!

1 Like

It sucks for those of us on Xbox who canā€™t get this kinda stuff. Much needed I reckon considering the amount of seaplanes and such that we have now. Thereā€™s a lot out there now when you think about it. A shake up is needed at some point.

So let me get this straight, these spots already exist in the sim but these mods are handcrafted versions? Do they have fueling facilities and whatnot? Something else that needs incorporating since flying boats canā€™t really get fuel as it stands now. It feels wrong to just click my way into getting a refuel.

They are new airports (with made up ICAO codes you can search for) so they make new starting points. Some of them are very basic - not really handcrafted. Not much detail but at least you can start from them!

1 Like

The Staggerwing is great! Love that planeā€¦

https://return.mistymoorings.com/z20_homepage/index.php

2 Likes

Most of the lakes i have landed on have these defects on the surface. Trying to cross it ends in a collision with ā€œsomethingā€.
It is terrible. They really didnā€™t try fly with aircraft before release.

3 Likes

As most other people in this thread I found it impossible to start the engines from cold and dark following the checklist. Iā€™ve managed to debug the start sequence (a bit of a hassle with the xmls encrypted). So, I can now reliably start the engines without resorting to Ctrl+E.
There are two bugs apparently causing the engines to be unstartable:

1. The tooltip (and starting position?) of the fuel cut-off valve is wrong. It is on/open in the 3 oā€™clock-9 oā€™clock position and off/closed in the 12 oā€™clock position. If you zoom in you can see it says ā€œaufā€ (German: open) and ā€œzuā€ (closed) in the 12 oā€™clock position. This tooltip error is made worse by the fact the aircraft spawns in the 3-9 position, so you have every reason to believe it would be closed.
    Edit to this point: it seems this error is only present, when spawning with the valve off (itā€™s a toggle command and has only been tested from waterrunway)

2. Although there is no way to manipulate the magnetos the engines need them. They cannot start with the magnetos being off. So you need to make a keybind or use a third-party software to set the magnetos to on/both.
    Edit: I believe the easiest DIY fix is to change the lines in the apron.flt
    LeftMagneto=False ā†’ true
    RightMagneto=False ā†’ true
    (for both eng1 and eng2)

Hope this helps someone else get more enjoyment out of this interesting historical plane.

If Asobo is reading along here and wants to fix the cold and dark start, itā€™s quite simpe:

1. correct the tooltip and starting position of the shutoff valve
  2. change the starters to engage the events ā€œMAGNETO1_STARTā€ and ā€œMAGNETO2_STARTā€ rather than the simple start events like TOGGLE_STARTER1.
3 Likes

Interesting. have you submitted those changes as a bug report? Chances ae no-one from Asobo reads this thread.

Out of curiosity is it just a virtual cockpit cold and dark start that has issues or does switch gear also play up?

1 Like

Iā€™ll look into submitting the bug report.
Itā€™s difficult to be sure where the bug is when I canā€™t see the code in the xml. It seems to be a rather simple oversight.

Ok, now Iā€™ve made a post in the bug forum. Feel free to vote and chime in to let the issue gather some attention.

1 Like