Local Legend IV: Savoia-Marchetti S.55

Ramasurinen , thanks a lot for checking. I have dedicated sim controls mappings for S55 since SU10 without double settings for any function. . I have two buttons on the sidestick set for increase / decrease mixture.BTW it was fine before SU11. Tomorrow I will double check all my settings.You never know.
I like this aircraft and fly it every now and then. Most of the time I start with engines already up, so I can fly it anyway.
Thanks again for the prompt assistance.

@crazyhorsejesol No worries. Please mouse over your engine starter switches on the yoke and see if either or both of them say “on” all the time (switch pulled outwards) in the tool tip. If so then that’s the issue. If they are active then try cycling them to see if you can set them back to “off” where they should be.

1 Like

Ramasurinen, thanks to your latest tip I found the culprit (myself…) For power management I set my TCA Quadrant Airbus Edition .Before starting a flight with the S55 I did a flight with the A320 and,when the flight was over, I left the 2 Engine start levers to “ON” .
I moved the 2 levers to “OFF” , restarted C&D both S55 and S.55S and they started well!!
So ,I’m very sorry for all the mess created.
Thank you very much for your prompt and precise help.

I have one more request for you on a different topic : COMPASS.
I like this old style instrument and I would like to use it during the flights having it visible without pressing buttons on the keybord everytime you need to check the route.
Would it be possible to get a pop-up screen with the compass ,as we can get on other aircraft, by pressing alt gr+mouse left click with the mouse pointer over a glass screen inside the cockpit ?
This would be very helpful when doing long trips ( I did some) in order to keep on route ,straight as much as possible, on every single leg.

@crazyhorsejesol Great, glad to hear that’s sorted. I wish I’d thought of the controller issue sooner. It’s a good data point for me though!

As for the compass, the pop-out views you’re talking about only work on 2D rendered gauges (glass EFIS displays etc), not 3D ones like the compass. I would need to create a second complete 2D version of that gauge and integrate it somehow. I’ll keep that in mind for the future, but it’s not something I could do anytime soon unfortunately, just not enough time available to dive into that for the next several months.

You might find the S.55X a bit easier for very long trips though, with the refractive glass on the compass giving it a vertical presentation, and its Askania mechanical compass is extremely useful for holding a precise track over long periods, since it shows you deviation from course accumulated over time. The X is also a fair bit faster.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Thx Ramasurinen, for the great plane and support, I’m hooked.
You guys might like this post:

Weltfliegers: Aviation Pioneers of the 1920/30s - Microsoft Flight Simulator / Screenshots & World Discovery - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

more historic S.55-stuff to come there, so stay tuned.

tally-ho
RF

4 Likes

Salve, amici di Casa di Savoia,

try this new historic flights:
Weltfliegers: Aviation Pioneers of the 1920/30s - Microsoft Flight Simulator / Screenshots & World Discovery - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

tally-ho
RF

2 Likes

Good evening, I’m Italian and I follow the association of Carlo del Prete who, together with De Pinedo, made the Atlantic crossing on the S55 “Santa Maria”. We have an archive of memorabilia and memories. Congratulations on the beautiful replica, which I bought and flew with pleasure. Certainly Absorbo could do some hydrosurfaces in Italy given that the aircraft is Italian. If you want, I’ll tell you where the historical ones were. For Santa Maria, the note I make is the lack of lictor bundles, but I understand that it may be a political choice. Carlo del Prete made another non-stop flight from Rome to Tourous (Brazil) on Savoia Marchetti S64, it would be an extreme record-breaking aircraft that you could replicate has a unique design. If you want more news, we are available to help you in increasingly faithful simulations.

3 Likes

One thing the simulation lacks is sound, at the time silencers were not used and the sound was very loud, to get an idea listen to this 18-cylinder Isotta Fraschini Asso attached to a tractor https://www.youtube.com /watch?v=twZgeBPI6nM

1 Like

Please put higher and decent sounding audio.

I disagree, Leave sounds the way they are and not change a thing. Thanks.

3 Likes

… lets go from the Jungle to the Taiga - a little known pioneer flight of the S.55:
The USSR aircraft were a hybrid between R and X.

1 Like

For those who love legendary planes, in this case with the same designer as the S55, I would suggest the authors develop an even more extreme plane, the S64, only 2 were built and the first is the one with which Ferrarin and del Prete surpassed Lindbergh’s record. I’ll put the link to a video of the Italian Air Force so you can see what it is I Velivoli dei Record - Savoia Marchetti S.64 - YouTube

2 Likes

I wish people would stop comparing the panels in planes of FS98 with those of MSFS. FSPanelStudio didn’t work in FSX for the quality planes either. Gauges have for quite some time been modeled in 3D with multiple objects (glass, gauge background, gauge components, etc), and are 1 shot deals and modeled as part of the 3D model of the whole plane, IOW, you can’t just swap them out with a few lines of text. While there are some things you can modify using a combination of the panel.cfg and panel.xml files, for the most part, modifying panels in MSFS requires many hours of work, assuming you have proper gauge code to begin with to make it work. MSFS is quite a young product, and does not have a huge catalog of different gauges yet (the code behind the 3D models that interacts with the sim and drives the 3D model of the gauge). It is decidedly NOT a trivial process to modify a panel in MSFS, not by a LONGGGGG shot.

Please be respectful of the amount of work it takes to model an aircraft these days, and never assume anything is trivial. Yes, there are some trivial aspects that can be changed (i.e. *.flt files, and some might consider creating liveries to be trivial), many things, especially in regards to the model are very much not.

2 Likes

I love these older and rare aircraft. This was my first bought aircraft and is an absolute joy to fly no matter the destination. Excellent work by the dev.

6 Likes

I just got this as it seems a nice boat to fly around, in the S55X version I have no GPS at all, not sure if I have to click something to make it visible or if it is a problem with the new WT GPS system after AAU1 but I saw a GPS in the screenshots however I don’t have it in this plane.

I can start it cold and dark and fly it without problems.
Question: Is there a way to stop this plane in the water? Like an anchor, tie down or something to keep it at a dock for example? I don’t think it has a reverse so unsure how to just make it stop.

Thanks for the help, looks really nice!

Any idea why the GPS in the S.55X is super tiny and using only about 1/4 of the screen in the top left? I haven’t used the aircraft in a while and noticed it tonight.

@LuisArgerich

Glad you like the plane Luis! There is no anchor, nor reverse thrust, sorry. I looked into making an anchor once but wasn’t able to get the motion on the waves to behave correctly when fixed in position. It looked very strange, and not in a good way. I may have another go at that though.

The GPS is only in one version of the S.55X, the “Decennial Cruise” variant. The “Decennial Cruise 1933” version does not have it. You can choose between them in the liveries tab. See below though for a fix…

@TheBlackWind977

Yes, there is a problem with the GNS530 implementation that was introduced in the AAU1 update. The short version is that this airplane was using a higher pixel density on the display to help with clarity, especially in VR, but Working Title’s changes to the Garmin 430 and 530 won’t allow that any more unfortunately.

I’m planning to release an update but I’ve been waiting for a lot of localisation data for the new languages that have recently been added to the sim to become available first.

The good news is you can very quickly and easily fix it yourself in the mean time if you like…

Close the sim, and go into your flight sim official packages folder, and then into: \microsoft-aircraft-savoia-s55x\SimObjects\Airplanes\Microsoft_Savoia_S55X\panel

Open the panel.cfg in any text editor. Scroll down to the [VCockpit02] section and change the pixel_size value to 320,234

When you’re done it should look exactly like this:

[VCockpit02]
size_mm = 320,234
pixel_size = 320,234
texture = $AS530_Screen
htmlgauge00=NavSystems/GPS/AS530/AS530.html, 0, 0, 320,234

Save the file, restart the sim, and the GPS should look correct again.

Cheers!

5 Likes

Thanks so much! I’ll give that a try.

If you’re doing an update to the aircraft, would you consider adding a Hobbs meter type think to a notebook or something? Something that won’t break realism for people who want it.

Also, I still have that problem discussed above with both planes tilting to the left in the bush trips. It does not do it in free flight. Anything to counter that would be great. I couldn’t find any kind of rudder or aileron trim tho I suppose, again, the real plane did not have these. Still for me, it makes the bush trips unflyable.

@TheBlackWind977 Thanks for your feedback. I don’t currently have time to do any improvements to the S.55s, have some other projects on the go, but I will keep it in mind if I have time at some point.

I have never been able to properly replicate the bush trip problem, and unfortunately I didn’t create those, so not really sure what could be causing it.

Can you confirm that you are using the modern flight model and that both fuel tanks are at the same level when flying those? The only way I was able to replicate the problem was using the Legacy FM. Also, just a wild guess, could you please bind keys for “reset aileron trim” and “reset rudder trim” and try those? You’re right, the real plane didn’t have those trims, and they should be nullified in the aircraft config, but maybe something is going on there. Worth a test anyway!

Cheers.

1 Like