Local Legend IV: Savoia-Marchetti S.55

Ah so my failure to restart on the water was user error. Loving the details on the systems with this plane, best local legend yet!

Thanks a lot for coming in here and responding to questions and providing a lot of information. As others noticed it’s a refreshing change from some of the previous planes in this series. For the Ju-52 we had to try and figure out a bunch of stuff on our own.

1 Like

Heya, wish I not bother for correcting your nonetheless very nice catch!

The S.55 indeed makes a ‘cameo’ apparition in Hayao Miyazaki “Porco Rosso” animation movie, that is a tribute to italian aviation of the thirties (a movie that I love as shown by my avatar in this forum)

Here are some snapshots from that movie, showing an armada of S.55 of the Regia Aeronautica approaching the location where the two contenders pilots had hilarious flight and boxe fights - Enjoy!

12 Likes

Those are S.55 Series 6’s I believe, and surprisingly accurate. They were the last version produced with the standard hulls before the ‘X’. I need to see those movies.

5 Likes

To throw in my 2 cent here:
The plane might look good and fly well, but I for myself came to the conclusion that I wíll not purchase anything from the marketplace anymore. At least until SUX has seen the light of day and the worst issues introduced over the last year are fixed.

2 Likes

Can anyone tell me what island it is at the beginning of the promo video for Local Legend 4? It’s from 00:13 to 0:41 on the footage. There are some most realistic and beautifu coast cliffs from MSFS. I’d really fly there and see.

Awesome work, Mike Johnson @Ramasurinen. Love it. Well done.
Just watched your intro on the video up above. Great background info on these.
I had heard Asobo scan planes for high realism. Now I know.

This 55X is AH MAY ZEEN!

Love the L-39 the most of all the Reno planes. Amazing job on those as well. My fave of the racers.

1 Like

I really love this plane.
Looking forward to see the manual.

Very good airplane, the detail is excellent and the flying model as well!
I have some issues to bring it back on the water (landing procedure), every time I crash!!!

Do you guys manage to land it on the water successfully?

Thanks!

agreed, love this plane.

i haven’t crashed the plane once outside of when i was actually trying to break it loose. what, specifically, are you having trouble with? happy to try to help

Thank you for the kind words!

Can you tell me what speed you’re touching the water at? Generally you want to touch down in almost a level flight configuration, maybe 1 or 2 degrees nose up at most, and at around 110-130 km/h (60-70 knots) depending on current weight. If you’re trying to stall it onto the water you might be striking the tail first, which could cause a crash.

Hope that helps!

1 Like

Moderator Translation:
Hello this plane likes me so much but I’m curious about one thing or :
I can’t find the MAGNETIC compass. But is it present? I must assume that the gyrocompass is already oriented. Is that or am I wrong.

Ciao questo aereo piace tanto anche a me ma sono curioso di una cosa ovvero :
La bussola MAGNETICA non la trovo. Ma è presente? Debbo presumere che la girobussola sia già orientata. E’ cosi o mi sbaglio.

Hi, I am a huge Flying Boat Fan ever since seeing a picture of the Boeing 314. As a Simmer I make it my priority to get all the Flying boats out there and I absolutely LOVE the Savoia!!! It is graceful yet sporty and the plane in MSFS looks just simply absolutely stunning! It handels well and is just a pure joy to fly.

If life would be perfect, I would ask for just adittions to the “modern” plane version.
-A rudimentary Autopilot to hold altitude and heading (To make it easyer to admire the plane in flight without having to pilot it at the same time)
Plus an assigned Passengerview or -views that allow to get some sort of a feeling what it was like to be a passenger on bord (I know we can go “inside” with the free drone cam, but since all planes move constantly a tiny bit it is rather an issue to get a somewhat stable passenger cabin view)

I have no idea if these ideas and wishes of mine are a nighmare to implement or rather simple, but if it were possible, that would be totally freakishly awesome

4 Likes

Hello Mike,

the S.55 is not the kind of aircraft I would usually fly. But I’m a big fan of your work so I’ll have to buy it. I’m so glad to see you back. Your Lotussim L-39 for FSX was an amazing addon and way ahead of its time. Hopefully we will see many more addons for MSFS from you. Thanks a lot!

Thanks for getting back, I’ve tried for more than once at 60/50 even 40 knots and it crashes.

I’ll try again…

Thanks again!

That’s very strange. First time I’ve ever heard of any issues with landing it. Please try landing at 75-80 knots (140 km/h on the gauge), in a completely level attitude and let me know what happens? As long as you’re not touching a wingtip or part of the tail to the water (or hitting nose first) it should be fine.

Also, are you having this problem in both variants (Jahu, and S.55X), or just one?

1 Like

Implementing a basic autopilot can be done within two minutes. However, the aircraft files are unfortunately locked, preventing us from making even the most basic changes / fixes!

i am guessing it’s a speed issue. i don’t have any issues landing but i tried coming in really hot last night (~200km/h) and the sim didn’t like that.

also, i have noticed you don’t need too much flare when you land - it’s kind of flat and i just find myself letting it settle onto the water. hope you get it figured out because it’s a fun bird to fly.

Yes it’s strange, never had issues with similar aircraft. I’ve tried with both versions and they behaved the same unfortunately. I’ll try later tonight to see what I am doing wrong…

I’ve been trying to reproduce the problem this morning, but I can’t. The hulls are reasonably strong, with a gentle landing between 100-150 km/h it shouldn’t be causing a crash. Could you get a screenshot of your forward view from the cockpit with gauges visible (airspeed, vertical speed etc) just before you touch down? Maybe I can see something there. Thanks!

1 Like