Local Legend IV: Savoia-Marchetti S.55

Your work is art too :clap:t3:

Already planned a long flight from Orbetello to Lake Como, but first I have to know better the aircraft

2 Likes

Same, I’ve been flying the Jahu across the Italian alpine lakes with those soundtracks (not seen the movies yet; just gives an italian / golden age of travel vibe), stunning, peaceful experience.

Porco Rosso is definitely planned following recommendation on this topic.

4 Likes

Porco Rosso is definitely a Ghibli classic.

Ghibli movies are often classified as anime but they are not really, anime has a particular style that Ghibli do not follow, Hayao Miyazaki certainly disagreed with the anime classification.

Another good Ghibli aviation movie is The Wind Rises about the life of Jiro Horikoshi, designer of the 1930’s Mitsubishi A5M Carrier Fighter, flown with great success in China, and it’s WWII successor the A6M “Zero”. In the movie the Italian 1920’s/1930’s sea plane designer “Gianni” Caproni features a lot as an early influence on Jiro.

1 Like

Any chance you can make new fictional liveries? Can even upload them on flightsim.to if too difficult to have them in the official product.
Only 2 liveries is a bit limited currently, however stunning the red Jahu one is. (and, of course, I’m not counting the Xbox/MSFS liveries :upside_down_face:)

1 Like

A paintkit would really be swell.

1 Like

Latest Jorg interview:

"I’ve read a lot of the feedback and wrote a long document this weekend about starting cold and dark on water, the fact that we need more places to start from… that’s understood. I hear you, some of these aircraft are not everybody’s cup of tea, and I need to get out of the twenties.

These planes are not economically wise things to make. I’m losing money, and I don’t care. There’s only one Savoia-Marchetti S.55 left in the world, and if we don’t do this, it may be gone forever at some point. We’re preserving history, we’re ok doing it, and this is in perpetuity. People will have this now and forever."

8 Likes

I found the original interview for that quote at Microsoft Flight Simulator Interview - Jorg Neumann Discusses Free 40th Anniversary Edition & Future of the Sim and it is well worth a read.

2 Likes

I’m soo glad we have Jorg helming this game/simulation. His passion and love for MSFS/aviation really show and make this special

Even if it’s losing money, preserving these aircraft in digital format is an honorable pursuit. I’m probs in the minority, but these vintage planes are my favorite and i’ve been getting as many as i can afford from both the Famous Flyers and Local Legends series. Hopefully both series can continue on in the long-term, even if they aren’t as popular with the overall player base

6 Likes

I agree with ACEagle6994 amd UnsealedKarma36… some fictional liveries or to make a paintkit avaiable in order to give the community the opportunity to get creative would be awesome…

Big tick from me. If someone’s got passion then things will happen. (Even if they might not always be the same calls any one of us might make.) Better that than a dead-behind-the-eyes corporate thinker.

1 Like

Fictional liveries are something I really wish I had time for, but sadly I just don’t at the moment. I will give a paint kit some thought though. It’s a little tricky these days since liveries are done in 3D with decals, and the base external textures are generally lower resolution for performance reasons, but that might be doable at some point. Right now my priority is working on the first update, which will have some minor bug fixes and a couple of nice improvements.

Cheers!

8 Likes

Dont know if its the same interview as the one above, but I read one with him yesterday, where Jorg said the stuff they announced for Nov, it just of fraction of what we’ll be getting, and that he’s not at liberty to say what else will be coming down the pike because if it didnt get finished in time there would be hell in the forums. paraphrased of course ;p

Well said. For anyone with a slight interest in aviation history MSFS has been a gift that has kept giving - on top of all the generosity on the world updates. I’ve bought most of the local legends and I feel it’s a small price for all the content we get and a little contribution to keep
MS involved. Before launch people thought it would be subscription service. Instead we get 4-5 airports and a landmark pack every other month. And these incredible labours of love in the form of local legends for a token price. Who would have thought we would get an obscure but historically important plane like the Dornier Wal. And to top it a beautifully rendered S.55 with such a unique and rich history.
What a golden age for flight simming.

9 Likes

Hope he stays in the 20s a bit longer! Then it’ll be okay for him to stray a bit furtherfield like the late 10s or early 30s :wink:

4 Likes

I love vintage birds

2 Likes

That’s no way to talk about [ Insert name of favourite actress here. ]. :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you so much! For your hard work and dedication on the plane, as well as the effort in answering our questions. Truly awesome! For me, the savoia has become my fav. plane. Plus the great experience in this forum here with the exchange with you and discussions amung us all, make it even more special…

2 Likes

Aircraft manual is online (again)…

1 Like

Yisss, some of the funky even earlier planes would be really cool to see in the sim. Honestly, the vintage planes are the majority of my flight time :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

The dev team is very cognizant that different sim pilots are going to enjoy different types of planes from different eras, and we try to offer something for everyone. Do you like retro/vintage planes from the golden age of aviation? Then the Local Legends and Famous Flyers series should be to your taste. Want modern jetliners? We’ve got the Boeing 747 and 787, Airbus A320, and (when the 40th Anniversary launches) the Airbus A310. For GA fans, we have a large assortment of vintage and modern single-engine and twin options, whether you like classics like the Cub and C172 or newer options from Diamond, Pipistrel, Flight Design, and JMB. There’s an assortment of aerobatic stunt planes like the Pitts Special and Extra 330. The Reno Air Races DLC brought classic warbirds like the P-51 Mustang and T-6 Texan to the roster. We also have military jets like the F/A-18 Super Hornet and L-39 Albatros, utility turboprops like the Cessna Caravan and TBM, and even aircraft that tie-in to popular franchises like Top Gun and Halo. And finally, by popular request, we’re bringing gliders and helicopters to MSFS this fall.

It’s impossible to offer every single player’s personal favorite airplane, but hopefully there’s something in the hangar that’s a “close enough” match for everyone’s individual taste.

9 Likes