Local Legend V: Beechcraft Model 18 ("Twin Beech")

Same impressions on the flight model, my reaction was “oh, it’s the Carenado flight model”.

4 Likes

Dangit. And here I was getting excited.

Never mind…

I edited my original post because landing with weight (about 90% max weight in my case) felt pretty awesome. It’s not all bad news! Also, this addon really pairs well with FSRealistic Pro. Takeoff and landing is transformed, especially from rough strips. Slamming the tail wheel down feels truly jarring.

On the bright side… she sure is purty. This statement applies to every Carenado addon I guess, but man MSFS really makes their addons shine.

2 Likes

We just published our feature editorial about the Twin Beech here:

9 Likes

AP stopped working for me after a while, probably some weird mix of button presses or switch movements or something IDK but I couldn’t get it back on. But for an hour or so I was flying along with it following headings, tracking VORs and holding altitude just fine. Even put in a quick flight plan on the GPS and got it to follow that just fine.

As to your wraning: I’ve suffered from tinnitus for over 36 years and have no idea what you’re going on about there with your health warning lol. If video games are ‘triggering’ your tinnitus you should probably consult a doctor or something.

Anyway plane’s decent but not great. Looks really good, sounds kinda meh and found it fun to fly. Could be better I suppose but for the price I ain’t complaining too much. Also remember to use tour tail wheel lock when taking off as you’ll flail around all over the place otherwise, protip.

2 Likes

Agreed; a good aircraft overall, I’d rate it as third best Local Legends (S.55 is first, Junkers is second).

1 Like

Yeah, tried restarting without any success… Found that giving the button a few presses and wiggling the selector switch gets it to shut up. :+1:t2:

When in doubt always give it a wriggle.

2 Likes

Can someone do a livery for the Stark Industries Beech 18 from Captain America?

3 Likes

“It’s an airplane Jim, but not as we know it.”

2 Likes

Is there a manual

Nothing I can find. I think for some prior Local Legends, they came out later and were provided online.

1 Like

Not yet. Guess Microsoft will upload one to here when they feel like it within a week or two Aircraft Manuals - Microsoft Flight Simulator also the S.55 manual reappeared since I last looked at that page a few hours ago. Quite odd.

3 Likes

I know - I’ll get both, and looking forward to both :wink:

I know what I’m getting w Carenado and they look great in VR… and looking forward to SWS for closer to study level… but yeah - they’re Q4 I think, so this will hold me for a few months.

3 Likes

7 Likes

It’s Carenado - I think as a community we basically know what to expect at this point. Some of the best visual modeling in the industry, with flight / systems modeling that “gets the job done.”

I own the 337 and the Staggerwing, both of which I’m pretty happy with for what I paid.

And the Twin Beech is right up my alley - $15 is the cost of lunch and if it’s comparable to either of the two that I already own, easily worth it.

That said, I’m busy flying other stuff at the moment so will probably hold on this for a while.

3 Likes

Oddly, it’s not there anymore (at least for me.) Queue X-Files theme.

Yep… I agree. Engine is too quiet and sound is not correct

Other than that I very much like the plane.

Carenado are consistently good at the visuals.

As for the rest of the product, two Carenado planes I own are good (Mooney and Staggerwing) one is not too bad but not exactly great (c170) and the last one is actually fun but pretty awful in the FM area (WACO YMF5).

Even though the price is great, given my mixed experience with Carenado, I am going to wait and see how the various reviews pan out before buying.

3 Likes