Local Legend V: Beechcraft Model 18 ("Twin Beech")

If you set an automatic motor failure, it will start after 1 second. That is not how it should be

1 Like

I tried it today, no issue here. Almost no abnormal yoke input necessary. Just make sure you feather the prop of the dead engine (prop lever all the way back) and you use some rudder trim towards the working engine to reduce and compensate for drag. And make sure you keep your airspeed at or above the blue line on the airspeed indicator (itā€™s a bit hard to see, just under the 100 knot marker) until commited for landing.

See below. Not the most straight and smooth landing, but thatā€™s just my pilotage. :wink:

4 Likes

I did not used rudder compensation too much to avoid lost speed because I had fully loaded aircraft.
But today I tried it again and used more rudder - and it was much much better!
@Jigsaw407 Thanks for help.

2 Likes

Yeah, using the rudder to straighten out the fuselage has the very purpose of keeping up the speed. Otherwise the side of the aircraft acts like a giant speedbrake. The rudder sticking out a bit is negligible in comparison.

The fuselage can be used as a speedbrake to an advantage, of course. Thatā€™s the forward slip maneuver, where you use crossed controls (aileron left, rudder right) to put your aircraft sideways on purpose to quickly lose speed and altitude.

Apologies, should you know that already. :wink:

4 Likes

He, maybe knew that already, but for those of us quite new to this world and with just begginer knowledge, itā€™s nice read and learn things like this. Thaks for sharing!!

BTW, where could I get the POH for this aircraft? I was waiting for a manual from the dev, but as they donā€™t seem to publish it soon, Iā€™m starting to thinking in going directly to the POH!

1 Like

From this post in this very thread:

1 Like

Wow thank you!! Donā€™t know How I could miss that! Iā€™ve every single message in this topicā€¦ Perhaps I wasnā€™t looking for it in that momentā€¦

Thank you!

1 Like

There are also switches to feather the prop above the pilotā€™s gauges, if Iā€™m remembering right.

2 Likes

Ah, okay ā€¦ havenā€™t done much emergency flying with the Model 18 yet, so I didnā€™t spot them when I tried it. But it would make sense, many aircraft from that era have separate feathering controls.

Does anyone know how to set the 10s in the ADF device of the Beech 18?
The big knob controls the 100s-1000s, the small knob controls the 1s.
According to the KR 87 manual, the small knob should be pushed in to set the 10s.
If thatā€™s implemented, I canā€™t figure out how to do thatā€¦

Isnā€™t it a right click hold and then left click to change the knobā€™s function?

Iā€™m not at the sim, but I think thatā€™s it.

On the inner knob, hold left click, press right click to switch between 10ā€™s and 1ā€™s

2 Likes

Thank you! It worked.

First thing I did!

Did you use correct technique?
Dead engine, dead foot - If the right engine is dead, do not use your right foot, and vica versa.
Remember that for every power change, you must also work the control surfaces control inputs (rudder, pitch etc.).
Check POH for engine out flap settings and speeds, dunno on the fly the Beech 18 settings. Think I used only one stage of flaps, and pitch and power to keep abit above the blue line.

It went fine, alittle hariy in the crosswind, but that was my lack of landing technique.

Do we still need to set C/G to 34.5 or something?

Maybe Iā€™ve posted this before, but the search mechanism seems to be broken, it doesnā€™t seem to be able to search the current topic anymore, or, at least, I couldnā€™t figure out how.

Anyway, thereā€™s a couple of POH / Flight Manuals for the Beech 18 (AT-11/SNB-1 / C-45) here

http://aviationarchives.blogspot.com/search?q=beech

Iā€™ve found typically the third link in the list for each post is the bestā€¦

And, of course, Wikipedia has an excellent list of all the models of the Beech model 18 produced between 1937 until 1969. Beechcraft Model 18 - Wikipedia

1 Like

Never heard of this and I have never had issue. I do add some cargo weight to help give the plane some ā€œfeelā€ though.

Current topic search isnā€™t working, but somewhere above there was advise, that means it will behave correct:

• Set Empty CG to 34.5%
  • Trim set to 25% nose up
  • No flaps (runway is 10ā€™000 ft long)
  • Tailwheel unlocked
  • No brakes set when lined up
  • Increasing throttles slowly
  • Dancing the pedals lightly
  • Yoke pushed fully forward to lift tail wheel early,
  • Slowly releasing pressure on yoke to keep level
  • Accelerating until aircraft lifts off by itself
  • Gear up early
  • Trimming nose down fast with increasing airspeed
  • Reduce power to 32 inHg @ 2200 RPM to keep 100 kts climb speed
  • Climb out and reduce power to 28 inHg @ 1800 RPM
  • Trim for level flight, approx. 10% nose down (yes minus ten percent)
6 Likes

Several flight model and gameplay fixes within a few days after release of the DC-3.

Carenado! Unlock the Twin Beech!!!

3 Likes

Donā€™t even need to unlock it, just support it!

6 Likes