Local Legend V: Beechcraft Model 18 ("Twin Beech")

The trim with the trim wheel works very well and you can adjust it very finely (HC Bravo). You only have to readjust more often at the beginning of the cruise flight.

I have no problem trimming any other aircraft. So why would I have it only with this one then? I am not the only one having trouble with this.

3 Likes

I donā€™t know I did not write the code for this aircraft. All I know is that this is the only aircraft that has this problem.

1 Like

if youā€™re on pc save yourself a ton of heartache and go download the denarq (sp?) mod for this plane. it resolves tons of issues, adds truckloads of functionality and is all-around a great addition. i think it will resolve your trim issues as well since i donā€™t seem to be impacted by those anymore.

5 Likes

If you get the Denarq Twin Beech mod get the next version after 1.2 (it should be out this weekend)

1 Like

Oh, sorry, youā€™re talking about the original B18. But I meant this mod here.

You are right, the original B18 is difficult to trim, but it works. With the mod, trimming is much easier, but you have to pay a lot of attention to the engine/oil management.

2 Likes

So many different models of the 18 have been manufactured back then. Which one represents the version in the sim?

The only thing I know is it has the Wasp Junior engine type.

I think itā€™s also a US Military version.

Iā€™m not available to look right now, but I recall the data plate(s?) have some indications of such. It might even be the engine designation that gives it away or it has an actual mention of US Military on the plate.

Something like half the Beech 18 ever made were military variants and most of those that survived the various wars and conflicts seem to have eventually ended up on civilian hands as military surplus.

Are there any plans to officially update the Beech 18 at some point? Is that decision up to MS or Carenado?

I just started flying it and even with CG adjustments, etc., it kind of sloshes around the sky a lot (medically ataxic) by frequently dropping one or the other wing. Iā€™m on Xbox so canā€™t install the Denarq mod.

1 Like

That topic was being discussed here: Are older MS aircraft unofficially retired?. Looks like there isnā€™t a lot of certainty either way. However, if future updates are anything like Carenadoā€™s recent updates to their normal addons, I wouldnā€™t expect dramatic improvements to the flight model.

For example, the C-337 and C-170 were both recently updated to above v2, and they still have c.g. limits specified as 0-100% MAC (like the Twin Beech). Since the configs are encrypted, itā€™s difficult to determine if there are actually significant problems with the flight model, but why would they not define c.g. limits if they had confidence about the weight and balance factors?

2 Likes

The plane belongs to MS now. Carenado does not and will not have any more involvement with the plane.

Thanks You

Thank you.

After following for a time the Denarq mod for this plane I couldnā€™t resist more and I finally bought it. Searching info about it I discovered that itā€™s considered as one of the best freight plane ever. At least the e18s version, I havenā€™t found info if the model d18s (more smaller) was used as freighter.

Iā€™ve been searching info about cargo companies that used it as freight dog in the past, particularly during 70s, 80s even the 90s but I didnā€™t find too much info. One company called my attention: Methow Aviation, with Beech 18s and DC3s as main workhorses. But sadly they closed and I havenā€™t found info about their hubs and routes.

If anyone knows milk/cargo runs with this plane, please, consider to share them. I would love to replicate those flights.

Thank you in advance.

Some legs are in this book

1 Like

Thank you so much! Iā€™m going to buy it right now!

This is an excellent book by a pilot who started his career in the 18. Most of his runs were ferrying parts for the auto industry near Detroit. You might get an. Idea from his book.

5 Likes

As they say, there are plenty of different Beech Twins but there has only ever been one Twin Beech.

You do not need to go back too far to find Twin Beech in commercial use, they were common in the '80s through to the '90s. It is unclear if any of the several hundred still flying ever see actual commercial (as opposed to airshow, tourist and training) operations any more.

If your after something historical and a bit different, Air America flew them in Vietnam during the war.

2 Likes

Does that mean if I buy it now, theyā€™re not getting any of my money?