Local Legend VIII: De Havilland Canada DHC-4 Caribou

“Ungainly” he called it :sob: I think it’s a thing of beauty.

Let’s hope the sound set does the real thing justice too ey!

And about that wheelbarrow thing… I know it’s cool and all, but is there any tactical or operational advantage to doing that? Or is it really just a ‘look what this thing can do’ - party trick?

The New England Air Museum in Connecticut has one too, took these photos a few weeks ago… Hopefully someday it will get the restoration it deserves!

13 Likes

I’m not sure, but I think it is a party trick that they pull when showing off it’s STOL capabilities!

Wow, and in flying condition! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

So would I, and things are looking good:

DHC-1 Chipmunk - [edit:] Aeroplane Heaven released one a year or so ago. (and Ant’s Airplanes released the British de Havilland Tiger Moth in the fall).

DHC-2 Beaver - Blackbird’s excellent rendition was released as part of the 40th anniversary update.

DHC-3 Otter - Milviz/Blackbird mentioned working on a Turbo Otter some time ago, but no real announcement has been made as far as I’m aware. [edit: Blackbird has sin e announced a Turbo Otter]

DHC-4 Caribou- coming out today?

DHC-5 Buffalo - haven’t heard anyone mention this one.

DHC-6 Twin Otter - Aerosoft released that plane last year and updated the sound package recently.

DHC-7 Dash 7 - SWS have finished the model etc. and some time ago turned it over to PILOT’s who’s been completely silent since then. Could come in a few months. The dev is not know to be the fastest.

DHC-8 Dash 8 - at least two renditions are in the works. Majestic and Skylane have made announcements and a freeware project was also mentioned at some point.

And perhaps I should add that Big Radials are making a Norseman - quite close to the DHC family.

If you like aviation history books I can recommend this new book on DHC and their planes:

9 Likes

Just a minor correction to your post. Aeroplane Heaven did the DHC-1, Ant’s did the DH.82.

Another DHC-4 that came to mind today was the one used in the attempted recovery of the B-29 “Kee Bird” from the Greenland ice cap.

Looking forward to seeing some impressions of the DHC-4!

3 Likes

Wheel Barrow is only show. You land with Main Wheels first. But you can come in with a very nose down attitude and just flare at 30 ft and firmly touchdown.

Really looking forward to it. There were two of these in Costa Rica. One was used by the police and the other was taken up by a restaurant and had it as a museum centerpiece for some years

1 Like

The Caribou is out on the marketplace, screenshots look stunning.

1 Like

That’s an Aeroplane Heaven one, and been out for ages ( and needs some FM work ). Ants put out the Dehavilland ( the original, not DHC ) Tiger Moth and it’s excellent.

Soo… anyone tried it?

Purchased it and yes the visual model is very nice. Some issues though I noticed. The props don’t physically change pitch, don’t feather and are when shut down not in fine pitch. The sounds need major work, these radials don’t sound like radials at all. Also when descending using full flaps, gear down throttles at idle the speed barely bleeds off. hopefully this DHC-4 gets updates in the future.

2 Likes

Are the cfgs readable? it’s a MS release but also a marketplace purchase, so it could go either way…

1 Like

Does it have a GNS or anything like that, or are we flying it VOR to VOR?

1 Like

Anybody find a manual?

2 Likes

The RCAF version of the Buffalo just before retirement would be an absolute must have for me.

1 Like

Thats the plan… but

2 Likes

GNS 430, no AP!

2 Likes

Autsch. EDIT Found the Crash Report in the internet. Interresting to read, but most likely a piot error (tltr: reverse beta range in flight, stall/spin, not enough height to recover.) And it was a DHC5 Buffalo.

Kind Regards