Lockups / Reboots

I assume that it BSOD at such a high render scale ( effectiv a very high resolution ) points to an issue with your system in high load situations. So, may you should check your system, the airflow, the PSU, etc. May possible is also memory stuff, it just needs much more …

Independent of the bsod itsel I was just a bit shocked that you need with your resolution of 3440x1440 a render-scale greater than 100… I assume each other graphics setting give you more beneffit than these :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well… on Tuesday with render scaling at 200, my father was able to play with an A380 flying from and landing at some of the busy airports… No issues in 3-4 hours of game play.

Today, it apparently locked / rebooted several times. When I’m over Friday, I’m going to get RTSS on and monitor temperatures etc during flight. I’ve also got some testing software (Cinebench, Linpack and OCCT) to try and see if we can replicate this outside of the sim.

OK… So today I did some testing with dad remotely.

When using OCCT and running Linpack 2021, I hit some pretty extreme temperatures until the CPU throttles back. Sometimes, it doesn’t do it in time and the machine shuts down (turns off) with no logs. I suspect that this may be a thermal issue with the CPU.

Whether or not this is related to the issue with MSFS is unknown. Linpack is a very extreme testing regime but I wouldn’t expect it to crash the system this consistently. That’s another thread of investigation. For now we have the panels off the case and this has reduced temperature.

I also installed the Palit ThunderMaster software as I was curious as to why the GPU fan was running so slowly even beyond 70 degrees. I adjusted the fan curve so it comes up to speed at a lower temperature.

My dad remotely launched MSFS and I’ve got HWInfo and RTSS running so we can see CPU / GPU usage, temperatures and fan speeds.

Now when we run MSFS we see consistent 99% GPU usage with render scaling at 200 but the GPU temp is in the high 60’s low 70’s so all good. CPU is around 30-50% utilization and temperature 65-70 degrees. All healthy.

I have suggested my father run with the panels off and the new fan profile on the card and we will see if things stabilize.

Use caution with the cases off.
Often that will lead to issues, as the air flow through the PC is not sufficient.
Having the cases off will often not carry enough of the heat away.

1 Like

Yes it is only temporary.

1 Like

Thanks for the progress update, have you shared it with alpine flight?

Alpine have said they are happy to take it back to investigate further but as it is ~4 hour round trip, we have opted to try and isolate this further. I will be sharing my progress with them later this week once more testing has been completed.

2 Likes

To bring about a closure to this old topic, I thought I should provide an update… After much troubleshooting and investigation, this came down to a thermal issue, specifically with the i9 CPU running too hot. It was cured by Alpine moving components to a new case and installing a liquid cooling system. Lockups have been resolved since.

3 Likes