LOD problems - Trees Fix Revisited

Just going to keep them default for now. The draw distance is much better. Personally I like to see them in the distance while flying.

@FarlisKaneebe
@gadwin777
@V1ROTA7E
@PlayfulCelery23
@ExpressTomato52
@hobanagerik
@Wookie042
@RancidViper6904
@Cygnifick
@Theodorus

(sorry SurlierMovie919 the forum limits to referencing 10 people max!)

Thank you all for your kind words!

I’m glad their latest feedback snapshot is mentioning next patch (#4) will fix the buildings.

However there remains a lot of “tree and LOD” related posts which investigation isn’t even started:

LOD problems - Trees, water
Trees LoD (drawing distance) too low/degraded
Increase LOD Distance for Higher GPUs

There is valuable information in all these discussions but this is all spread out and buried in various posts. This is one of the reason I’ve tried investigating and documenting at least a single problem related to trees and ring distance which I hope will be helping Asobo finding a solution faster.

We also must try getting their attention to the information I’ve disclosed in raising the vote count above their minimum threshold (the 30th in their list is 142 votes and this discussion is only at 50% of this threshold).

Let’s help us all: please cast your vote to this discussion and tell your friends!

8 Likes

I swear sometimes I think developers are just better off opening their code up to the community. Imagine if you all had access to everything you needed to tweak to your hearts content?! The scenery modders, The A320 team, the G36 team, the G1000 team, everything would be done within a few months :wink:

EDIT: Removed “guys” because it’s 2020.

4 Likes

I thank you for your vote of confidence!

You might be onto something though because history shows the most prolific mod creativity often come with the most open platform.

However I imagine in this case, one of the first thing I’ll probably do is making sure you’d get the Reality XP GTN 750/650 and the Reality XP GNS 530/430 V2 in FS2020! :sunglasses:

it is also called SmallPartRejectRadius, it exists since FSX - I tried to add it in FS2020 .cfg too :slight_smile: , but it doesn’t seem to work ! SmallPartRejectRadius - fix disappearing traffic in FSX Steam • C-Aviation !!

I didnt catch anything while scanning through the other posts and forgive me if this has already been addressed but is this tree height and tree LOD issue also dealing with photogrammetry trees? Or are those 2 completely separate issues? For me it seems, that thr photgrammetry areas have a lot of issues with trees not rendering in until you are almost on top of them, even with your LOD set to 3 and higher.

Also: Microsobo needs to hire you ASAP

These are handled differently but they share a common LOD problem: LOD rings are usually too short.

Is there a way to turn trees off completely? Setting them to low helps yet there are still trees everywhere in the desert. For example

The AI interprets shadows on the sat/aerial images as trees and creates entire forests where there is nothing but bare rocks and sand

This is AI at work and in my opinion this can probably be solved only if:

• Zendesk bug report so that they use enhanced inference rules about terrain nature (long term).
  • Probably using the SDK and adding an ‘exclusion’ polygon over the area (short term)
2 Likes

I submitted it to Zendesk with a couple examples and coordinates of that spot. Easy to reproduce anyway and quite clearly no trees.

I was hoping there was a global setting to simply turn off tree rendering completely while enjoying the desert views.

Have you tried setting Trees LOD to LOW ? This won’t remove them but when at a certain distance/altitude they shouldn’t show much anymore.

I thought setting trees to Low reduced the LOD for trees, at least it has that effect. Is there another setting for tree LOD?

I see there is this is config.toml
debug_trees = false
enable_trees = true
I guess settng enable_trees to false should remove all of them? However that requires a restart.

Building, Tree, Grass LOD are in fact LOD Ring Distance settings with a wrong description. Well partially wrong because in fact the slider changes 2 settings: the LOD ring and the LOD details. But the most dramatic visual result is more about LOD distance than LOD detail in practice.

As for the config.toml you’re right this is supposed to eliminate all tress but I’ve not experimented. Please share your findings!

Oddly the setting does nothing. I tried it with trees at false, then with debug_trees true and trees false, still have trees. I played around with developer mode for a bit, can’t get rid of the trees. Setting them to low seems to be the only option atm (apart from deleting the tree models I guess)

1 Like

Can you let me know where this file is located please. Thank you.

For Steam it’s
[Installation Drive]\Users\ [User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages\Official\Steam\bf-pgg\PGG\

The file distribution.toml is there as well where you can mess around with building generation. However if you have Japan installed you have to make the same changes in …\Packages\Official\Steam\microsoft-pgg-japan\PGG\distribution.toml

There is a way to turn off trees completely. If you have the Steam version, go to:
App Data/Roaming/Microsoft Flight/Simulator/Packages/Official/Steam/fs-base/vegetation

Within the vegetation folder is a file named “10-asobo_species”. Just change the name of the file to something like, “10-asobo_species_remove” and you will see no trees.
To see trees again, change the file name back to “10-asobo_species”.

Please note that you can change the file name either if you are not in the game or if you are on the Welcome screen and not in a flight. Let me know if you have questions.

1 Like

I’ve just read today’s update and this discussion is missing at least 50 more votes to be even in the list!

Now on the bright side, I’ve been reviewing my Zendesk submission this afternoon and although the status didn’t change (SOLVED) the Last Activity field was changed (as of this writing it has been updated 4H ago)!

I believe they are actually reviewing this right now internally then, which is a good news for us all!!

6 Likes

excellent work captain thanks

1 Like

Voted!

It seems to have gotten the worse after the last update. Barren naked ground textures all around me… Makes MSFS look like MS Flight…! The water is looking worse than before, the mountains are looking worse than before… MSFS is getting worse with every update… :face_with_head_bandage:

3 Likes