LOD problems - Trees & Water

Not using any mods.

Really not sure whats going on.

I’m starting to have an idea what’s going on. I’m doing a few comparative tests in adjusting the values in the file I’ve made a community fix which I’m posting in the aforementioned discussion.

In short you’re not alone. It is too long to sum up here and I’ll probably add the information in this other discussion later.

update: if you’ve set your Tree LOD to HIGH, try ULTRA or MEDIUM instead and trees shouldn’t disappear…

Hello CptLucky8, I think you’re onto something there. I changed the Trees Rendering to ULTRA and the distance in which the trees were displayed seemed to have doubled from the HIGH setting. Then I changed it to MEDIUM and the distance was half of what it was at HIGH.

This is what is expected. What is not is trees disappearing while you’re getting closer to them, and then reappearing as you’re continuing getting closer!

Here is what I mean:

part1:
tree size is affecting rendering LOD distance (bug)

part2:
tree type rendering LOD distance is affected by Tree LOD setting (bug)

Thank you very much for all this information and for your outstanding work!

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words!

We also must try getting their attention to the information I’ve disclosed in raising the vote count above their minimum threshold (the 30th in their list is 142 votes).

Let’s help us all:
please cast your vote to this discussion and tell your friends!

2 Likes

Asobo, get a nice cat to smash the bugs

sorry for the sound in the video. The draw distance is terrible compared to the previous version, I see soap the whole flight, there was no such thing beforehttps://youtu.be/sy1xHM4jdlQ

I downloaded the update. The problem of lod, wood, forests still exists. I don’t know what they did, but it got worse. The trees disappeared from several places where they used to be. There are also places where trees have appeared and have not been before.

After the upgrade, the FPS dropped drastically. The simulator stumbles flying over the forests. Getting worse…

Some examples of what we had before :frowning:
The Fps was even OK with this version
LOD was at 100%
Ground textures were a lot higher quality
Dunno what has happened to the sim but hopefully it gets fixed , because i miss these beautiful landscapes beautiful trees along the scenery and amazing lod of the buildings.
Also the water looked more WATER in my opinion.

13 Likes

ageed…the water has degraded. I get repeating patterns now that weren’t there before

4 Likes

What happened to this game/sim… used to look so much better.

The lod distance for scenery is terrible now.

3 Likes

Vote for forum support to get answers to developer questions:

1 Like

I voted on so many LOD degradation issues so far and even created one by myself once but I’m getting increasingly convinced now that MSFS team deliberately lowers the graphics with each update

3 Likes

it must be 1.7.14 build on those amazing snaps, which has been the best build so far.

1 Like

MSFS lured us into 2020 and we ended up with 2004 now

1 Like

I would point out that when patch 1.8.3.0 was released, users complained about how bad the water was, and wanted to go back to 1.7.14.0.

Then when 1.9.5.0 was released, some users complained about the water, and wanted to roll back to when it was better under 1.8.3.0…

Looking forward to Tuesdays patch.

2 Likes

:joy: you have a point there. However, I think it‘s evident that the water got worse at some point. I guess some of the people talking about rolling back just can‘t remember which pach caused it (myself included).

1 Like

I agree. Without screenshots, and video, to compare against, its difficult to remain objective.

I know such footage does exist, I’m just saying.

Something I noticed on a real life flight video the other day amused me, when you hear about complaints of repeating water textures. Take a look at the water here:

I sometimes wonder if some have a mental image of what they believe water should look like, that may not match reality in certain situations. The water in that video has repeating wave patterns.

That‘s certainly a valid point. I think it‘s this one texture that looks a bit like the surface of a sponge that most people don‘t like (can‘t upload a screenshot atm but I guess you know which one I mean).

1 Like