LOD problems - Trees & Water

Well, in any case, the change size has more to do with their patching and distribution methods. Also has to do with their code organization and how modularized it is. It could very well be they touch any part of a module and it would require a redownload of 2 gb.

I believe there are different factors affecting the outcome but Iā€™m nearly certain this has nothing to do with the internet connection:

• There are less details in the distance due to v1.8.3 using different distance thresholds than 1.7.x in order to get some FPS back most likely.

• 3D objects are popping in instead of fading in maybe because it is a bug in v1.8.3 with the shader/rendering

or

• 3D objects are popping in instead of fading in because it is a bug in v1.8.3 with the change in the internal thread scheduler. Some threads/tasks have lower priority than before and objects get loaded too late, thus there is no time left to fade-in and they just pop-in.

As for the sat imagery resolution and photogrammetry level of detail when zoom-in, I believe this is just expected and the way it is designed to work:

• Think of this as JPEG: it is a compression algorithm exploiting human visual perception flaws in order to remove data which the eye/brain canā€™t see.
  • It is very effective indeed. But when you zoom-in a JPEG image you can see the compression artefacts which were invisible at 100% zoom otherwise.

Photogrammetry is different than JPEG and has nothing to do with it, however, it is suffering from the same limitations: look at the screenshots in this discussion which were taken at normal zoom and this looks fine, but zoom-in and you can see the artefacts.

This is unfortunately a drawback of this kind of technology because FS2020 is most likely balancing out the amount of data vs the visual perception using zoom 100% as a reference point. I whish they split render distance sliders and/or provide photogrammetry specific sliders in order for us to adjust the level/threshold and fill our VRAM if there is any (most is already filled up though with current gen cards, but with a 3090 you have plenty more!)

7 Likes

Andā€¦toxic!

Honestly I donā€™t see much difference between the two. Yes the water waves are smaller and a little bit less trees on that hill, but everything else looks the same. What do you mean by opaque?

As expected, the same waves are still there, depending on the strength of the wind. Hereā€™s a few screenshots taken right now.

Iā€™m not sure how many times I have to prove you wrong before you realize that the issue you may be having donā€™t happen for everyone, despite many have told you the opposite.

1 Like

I was running on high settings, 1080p with 16x anisotropic, 8x8 texture filtering and Ultra texture synthesis, 3 changes that didnā€™t affect (my) performance (GTX 1060).

After the patch, the game ran almost twice as fast but showed a lot less detail (distance). So much faster I could set super sampling to 150 and still run faster than before. Instead of super sampling (which doesnā€™t do much visually) I changed Terrain and Object detail from 100 to 150 and set trees, grass and bushes to Ultra. Now my performance is closer (back down) to where it was and it looks closer to what it looked like before the patch.

And how many times must I say ā€¦
i had wrinkle high alt waves in the balkan trip WITH FIXED WINDSā€¦

Now its a mirror ā€¦

WITH THE SAME FIXED WINDS as pre patch winds.

3 Likes

The devs donā€™t need you to be their white knight. And you are literally confronting people that post about the issue, and putting words in my mouth, i.e. strawman.

My advice is not to take criticism about the sim or the devs as if it is a personal attack.

6 Likes

Itā€™s not about doubting what youā€™re seeing. Some people are absolutely having issues with visuals. However the folks that are having those problems, like you, need to also realize that many other people are NOT having any visual degradation issues at all. That would seem to signal a bug of some kind rather than a cross the board visial downgrade as some continue to suggest.

1 Like

Obviously not good, but the fact that others have proven with their own photos and video that they are not having these issues would suggest that it is indeed a bug for some people rather than a cross the board watering down of visuals.

Iā€™ll reinstall the game, but Iā€™m not holding my breath. Most people are reporting way lower loads on the CPU, and that is indicative of a trade off.

1 Like

So I have had same results as you, except I am in 1440p and noticed after patch moving resolution slider to 200 didnā€™t impact my 2080Ti as much as before patchā€¦ BUT, the landscape and buildings in cities like LAX and DFW look terrible. Some pop in and out (when I zoom in onto the horizon) and thus, my earlier points about LOD being degraded, is what a lot of others are stating too. This is with photogrammetry on as well.

I havenā€™t noticed any issues with trees or grass as some have, so I donā€™t think Iā€™m experiencing a bugā€¦ I think Iā€™m experiencing the lack of detail in LOD/terrain since they clearly have downgraded it some since day 1 launch.

3 Likes

So I took a new test flight from KJFK, and I too have to say that photogrammetry is worse after patch. And it canā€™t be mitigated by increasing the LOD slider. From what I can see, larger patches of buildings are now ā€œpopping inā€ compared to before, it feels very much like some ā€œoptimizationā€ that went haywire.

3 Likes

The thing is you shouldnā€™t remove visual quality internally in order to improve frame rateā€“that should be fully left under user control.

2 Likes

Ooooooh you got us!! :roll_eyes:

1000000000% agree.

THANK YOU. Just one more person validating what weā€™re all trying to say without some of the fanboys getting all upset. Itā€™s clear as day.

1 Like

Curious who has proven theyā€™re not having issues?

The only counterpoints Iā€™ve seen is someone flying over a mountain or a hilltop and saying ā€œsee looks good!ā€

Yet when weā€™ve asked them to fly in an airliner at 7k foot above over a populated city, we get no response.

Honest questionā€¦ not trying to sound salty

1 Like

This is correct. When I said i saw no issue I had only flown airliner with photogrammetry off, and GA ā€œaerobaticsā€ with LOD on on low altitude. When flying an airliner over new york I now see this LOD issue even without zooming, and even on 200 LOD setting.

For me it is not an issue, as I donā€™t like photogrammetry enabled. My bigger issue is black MFDs in cockpitsā€¦ and new random autopilot flyingā€¦

I have 300mb fiber and connected via LAN. I know itā€™s not a network issue. As many have mentioned above, the latest patch clearly has degraded some of the level of detail/draw distance to accommodate lesser rigs

2 Likes