LOD problems - Trees & Water

Ah so they decided to break the ONE thing the sim excelled at. Next gen visuals was the biggest selling point of this game. Sad to see it go this way. What a trainwreck.

6 Likes

i didnā€™t mean to be mean but i guess i was.

sorry for all whom i might have offended.

1 Like

Where you got X-Plane 12 screenshot?

1 Like

Then you are not seeing the problem or are not looking in the right loctions. Many of us have trees a few miles in front of us and beyond that it turns to bare orthos with a few of the larger buildings rendered on top. It looks like an FS9 scene. What you see on your rig does not give your comments on what we see on ours any validity whatsoever. There is a problem that Asobo needs to address.

1 Like

right. it does not.

1 Like

lol Fair enough then.

1 Like

oh man! that looks terrible! :sleepy:

thatā€™s one of my biggest concerns about this sim, I donā€™t want they to degrade graphics, that would be a shame. The sim already runs quite well compared to the amazing visuals, no need to downgrade it. Very soon there will be CPUs and GPUs capables of 60fps at any condition so no need for this.

Please Asobo bring back the drawing distances of trees and buildings and everything!

Btw, take a look here:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/trees-lod-too-low-degraded/240647/19

Please, upvote this thread!

4 Likes

These look fine, but youā€™re at a low altitude. Go to FL100 and see how the scenery looks.

Show me first your pic. And donā€™t forget the Airport location. I took the pictures around KSFO. Still waitingā€¦:smiley:

10.000 feet KSFO. So, same location where you have complained that itā€™s too low. And nowā€¦

1 Like

Dakar, right now on my rig. Weather set to ā€œFew Cloudsā€.

1 Like

So I reinstalled it, but it remains the same. Granulated textures all over the plane, even with SSX8. But the install kept some of my profiles, the same for the stick (G940).

Is that possible that the reinstall was for nothing? I need to reformat the SSD. A couple folders I could not delete.

I also found old recordings with no granulation under the wings whatsoever.

Something is wrong.

I doubt you need to format your SSD. But ok.

If this is of any help, here is the same KSFO on my test system with the 4K settings Iā€™ve published:

1 Like

I must agree after playing and flying over the pacific at about 10000 ft the definition of water and the different layers of water are very blurry and the sun reflection off the water looks pretty bad just a hot blurry messā€¦

The different layers of water or currents , best way I can explain it used to be sharply defined and sun glare off the watter was awesomeā€¦ now just blurry :frowning:

I tested this on all high and ultra and it made no difference, Water was definitely dumbed down for the massesā€¦

i7-7700 1070 gtx 20gb ram

1 Like

I see no big difference to mine. But I expect that 4K look much better. Your settings?

RENDER SCALING

From 100 to 150 brought the sharpness back for me :+1:

That explains some do have it some donā€™t ā€¦ the people on 150 and higher ( even 130 is way better for me ) will probably say they do not see a difference between patches ā€¦

1 Like

Can you show me a new pic with 150, because I expect that must look much better than mine lame 1920x1200 :slight_smile: Thanks.

Here they are:

With the following changes since v1.8.3:

Terrain Vector Data ULTRA
Texture ULTRA
Glass Cockpit Rate MEDIUM

In the meantime Iā€™ve further refined my settings because 1.8.3 is a little more aggressive with its default sharpening. Furthermore with the reduced LOD with the latest version it makes some objects too sharp as well. Hence for Iā€™ve also changed the Nvidia CPL Sharpen from 0.5 to 0.33 (I explain in my post above Iā€™m using the NVidia CPL Sharpen in order to compensate for the loss of clarity due to using TAA at 70%)

NB: this is meant for a 2070 S

PS: Iā€™ve also tried the reverse: 200% super sampling and screen resolution 1920x1080 but this is not as detailed as 70% super sampling and screen resolution of 3840x2160. It is obviously better at 100% SS but it goes from ~55 FPS to ~35 FPS in the same area.

3 Likes

Thank you very much.

P.S. I didnā€™t mentioned that I have the latest Nvidia driver and Win10 Updates. But I donā€™t believe that has anything to do with better performance. TLOD 200 and OLOD 200. All Ultra, Bloom and Reflections off.

nvidia

1 Like

FYI: my settings are 150% Terrain LOD as well.

PS to PS: Thank you for sharing!

Iā€™m not using the latest NVidia but the last one pre win10 2004.

Like Iā€™ve posted Iā€™m not sure any of the NVidia settings have any ā€˜majorā€™ impact. In my post Iā€™m explaining Iā€™ve chosen settings which should lower the amount of VRam used by rendering buffers so as to give back more of it to FS2020. However, Iā€™m planning to try a few different strategies in the NVidia CPL and see whether this has any impact in the end.

The most dramatic gain has been the Ultimate Power settings which at the time of v1.7.14 made the FPS viewer changing from limited by CPU into limited by GPU.

1 Like