LOD problems - Trees & Water

I deleted the rolling cache and created a new one w/ 100Gb size and visuals seem to have improved again. CPU utilization is so low now, despite great performance though the GPU gets stressed in spots. I’m concerned I have a potent CPU and it’s hardly being used–solid vsync to 30Hz screen w/ CPU hovering around 11%-24% w/ all 16 threads being used. I’d much rather have that put to work to improve the sim. Prior to patch 2 I saw about twice the average utilization.

Yes especially the water, I think they dumbed down the water to get a better FPS.

1 Like

I agree. It is very flat and lacks variation. I tried to recreate a picture I took flying over the Bay Bridge in San Francisco last year. The most glaring difference between the sim and reality is the water.That and whites in buildings seem to be gray in the sim.

1 Like

You just unlocked achievement : Joke of week

Could you please post screenshots of High-End and Ultra setting how high-end looks better ?

I think low looks even better :slight_smile:

Ultra vs High

Cant think of any parameter which looks better on high-end :open_mouth:

Which picture is ultra and which is High?

1 Like

I’m quite surprised at how big difference is between Ultra and High-end. I hope that the difference will be less drastic in the future.

1 Like

the ones with less trees are high-end

i have hands on launch version, i will do big comparison of patch 2 vs launch edition. so we can definitely see whats wrong / other / same

Just done a flight from EHAM to EGLL in the A320. Quite a nice flight, but most of the London skyline was missing, and the pop-in of ground vehicles and buildings at EGLL was terrible.

Well my game don’t look like that what’s your system look like?

Edit: Realized the first one was real hahaha

On thread now, seems like the areas around GG park, sunset and richmond areas have much less definition in the now picture vs the before

1 Like

Ok my first findings are regarding water reflections. It seems to me that Water LoD was implemented and/or nerfed. It takes now much much stronger wind to show the correct reflections on water from higher altitudes (5000ft tested)

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/water-reflection/275340/10?u=surliermovie919

4 Likes

Your tree differences are much more pronounced than the high vs ultra pictures in this thread: [HOW-TO] Graphics Settings and Performance Guide (8/18/2020)

The current high vs ultra seems to be doing what medium vs high was back before this patch.

yes, and that proves that there have been changes. those are from launch version if im not mistaken

Yup. Launch version because I had to fine tune every setting to get my system running a combo of high/ultra.

1 Like

Did all that yesterday at 250-350 feet and 10000feet adding a wind layer at ground level in 10knot increments up to 60kts. At both altitudes, no loss in FPS due to the waves being rendered.

However at 10000ft adding wind at ground level affected the aircraft at 10000ft. Somethings been changed or has inadvertently caused it. Bug or intentional? Linked to the weather issues?

By my reckoning the waves are rendering appx 10knots wind higher than they were, so pre patch 30kt winds would produce white caps, now it’s 40. More testing to do once I’ve finished this current flight

2 Likes

WARNING ! Truth reveal

launch version Vs patch 2 version
images are tagged

7 Likes

What are we looking at? Is this before and after patch? Which one is before which one is after? Can’t see much difference between the two TBH

1 Like

Then look at it in full resolution or zoom in. Screenshots are named according to version used

See exactly the same. Turn your sim to “winter” by adding 50cm or more of snow and this gets even more obvious, as in some distance, all trees are missing, the white shader simply turns dark green ground textures in grey and as soon as you approach, you suddenly have a nice forest.

Is the manually increased LOD in the config files resolving this issue? In another thread people say that they now have to use e.g. draw distance set to 150 or even 170 while it was fine with 100 before the patch. Sadly, if you have it already on 200, there is nothing to increase anymore, no?

1 Like

Yes I can see a little more detail in the distance pre patch, particularly the trees but there’s not much in it. Also I wonder if this is an AI thing. For me there are different tree density algorithms, so the AI has let’s say low, medium, high density for different tiles. Maybe sometimes when you go over the same area the AI May assign different a density to the same tile?

I think the work around for this if you are right and things have been dialed down is to increase the LOD. I noticed photogrammetry areas really need this post patch. Ive gone from 100 to 170