LOD problems - Trees & Water

Texture quality, yes. Trees, no. And if it says “Under investigation”, don’t automatically expect that particular line to be fixed in Patch #3.

That shouldn’t need to be stated, but some will likely believe this is a fix list for the next patch, so it should be nipped in the bud as soon as possible.

It might make it in, but they only have a few days left, so I would say it’s unlikely. The ones that will make the cut are clearly marked as “Fixed in Update 3”.

These are just feedback snapshots from the forum based on the votes the topics got. At this time the LOD problem only got 60 votes and is therefore not included in the list of the top 20.
But that does not mean that they are not aware of the problem or that they are not working to fix it.

2 Likes

Maybe they reduced trees because they added power lines? :thinking:

1 Like

Alright so , these water masks look like thiat to increase performance having less triangles ?

Otherwise beautiful canyon

I think I just lost performance with the update. The way they dramatically dumbed down graphics, I should be flying with 120fps, but I got an fps drop.

The last update was really weird.

1 Like

Is anyone sure how the LOD sliders work. I have manually set my Terrain LOD to 400 in the config file but my Detail LOD is at 100. So the photogrammetry will start to render in at a much further distance but it still won’t start to get very sharp until you are almost right over the top of it. To me it appears that the Terrain LOD only effects the distance that photogrammetry will start to render in and will not effect the distance that it will actually start to look good. Does anyone know more about this yet or if there is a way to make the photogrammetry to render into sharper images at a further distance?

1 Like

I’ve done a few more test flights today, and rolling back the September 17th NVIDIA driver to the August 452.06 version has definitely cured my stuttering issues (and others have confirmed the same for them). And cloud rendering quality appears to have returned to its former glory, as it looked like chunky pixel art around the edges with the September NVIDIA driver.

But the TAA… No. The anti-aliaising has seriously been downgraded, and no settings tweaks will improve it. I’m seeing some shimmering in distant scenery that I never noticed before, and the cockpit panels and red display digits in the Cessna 152 are so jagged and shimmery, as well as dithering/stippling seen, such as toward the centre of the screen.

And the point is we shouldn’t need to try tweaking anything when it worked so wonderfully before. If it’s been done deliberately to gain performance for users with lower spec machines, that makes no sense because otherwise we may as well not have all the various graphics settings. So I struggle to believe that it’s deliberate. So if it’s a bug introduced in the last patch, I implore Asobo to investigate, acknowledge and correct it.

When you’re optimising, you certainly shouldn’t cause deterioration of something that was fine as it was. Accidental bugs are understandable, though, so long as they get fixed. Fingers crossed that the imminent patch sneaks such a fix for AA into the code.

3 Likes

I had that, and found my Ultra settings had been reverted to something around Medium after Patch #2 was installed. Most noticeable in the 152, and there was shimmering around the horizontal lines of the radios. Switched back to Ultra, and the shimmering went away.

Check my post number 177.

Objects are much sharper with higher Terrain LOD

1 Like

So true

But on lower AA settings are reflections even worse !!!.

I see moving ants everywhere

Yea I seen your screenshots earlier and yours appear to render into sharper images further away from you. I wish I could post screenshots but I need to figure out how to lower the image size when I am in 4k.

Anyway I do understand that the photogrammetry is sharper at larger Terrain LOD but I am not seeing any benefits going from 100 to 400. The photogrammetry starts to render in at a further distance but it still will not sharpen up until I am almost on top of it. This is flying closer to the ground, around 3k feet give or take.

Trees and bushes are particularly awful, more so than buildings.

1 Like

it seems that it starts to kick in at 600+, which is a PC killer in such a dense areas

Try software called Irfanview.
Save in jpg compression anything below 90 and youre good to upload

2 Likes

I’ll have to give that a try. I still have a few FPS to spare so that may do the trick. I stopped at 400 when I noticed I was not getting an improvement with the quality of the photogrammetry closer to the aircraft. Thanks for the input!

Awesome I’ll have to grab that. I’ve never been one to post many screenshots or sharing photos so I had never looked into it.

1 Like

My settings never changed; they are all on ultra. I even switched to low settings and cycled back to ultra – same with turning off AA and cycling back to TAA – in case the configuration had got screwed up, but no, everything is fine apart from the AA problems that persist. I’d really hoped it was just the September NVIDIA driver at fault, seeing as it caused performance problems, but no.

1 Like

Any AA setting below TAA looks awful. Don’t get me wrong, TAA still looks a whole lot better in comparison, just not as good as it did pre-patch.

Today I spent more time with the game and I enjoyed it. I do miss the previous water, especially since I’m flying from a sea shore city (Rio de Janeiro), but I’m getting less stutter with TrackiR, even though I’m with clouds in Ultra.

Some of my previous comments might be setting related (we should record videos with presets), but it is still enjoyable and the Garmin on the TBM and XCub is not dropping my frames anymore.

I just hope they bring the water back (witch might be causing a bad impression in general) and iron these things properly.

We need the trees back too :wink:

1 Like

Was the LOD of the gras reduced too? I dont remember.

Someone mentioned that it is, I didnt test it personally

Just adding this to the thread… Asobo, PLEASE help fix this. It’s my biggest issue with the sim so far… the level of detail for downtown builds, particularly in US, look terrible when only a couple of miles away

Departing JFK in the A320 (all sliders at 200, ultra settings with my RTX 2080 Ti, i9-9900k, fiber internet)

Then once I fly literally on top of downtown, the buildings seem what I was accustomed to before patches.

Clearing rolling cache, as Asobo suggested in latest workaround, does not fix the issues.

2 Likes