LOD problems - Trees & Water

I watched the promotional video, which is amazing. The visuals are fantastic! I realized that they are deliberately misleading us users. The visual of the promotional video does not exist in the current version 1.9.3.0. More specifically, the user version is not optimized to display such a visual.

I flew around KORS Orcas Island airport yesterday. The landscape has deteriorated terribly. Water, houses, barren mountain sides. Where there should be trees there is nothing. Even while using the beta version I flew around this area, it was amazing then. Some pictures, marking the barren spots. All options with ultra settings. The white spots indicated the location of the missing trees:

This is the current reality:

I repeat myself by asking the question: why do many developers think their customers are plain stupid? I mean, fair enough they at least acknowledged sort of that there IS something wrong with the LOD, yet they publish a day later an advertising video showing visuals that do not anymore exist in the real product. Even worse, the sim loads with a loading screen showing visuals that are not reproducible in the sim…

4 Likes

Deliberate misleading and deceiving customers. There is evidence of this, as we see the depraved landscape of the shoddy in the purchased simulator every day. The developer publishes their own videos about a non-existent spectacle and says if you buy the product you will get the same. What can be done?

Guys let me introduce the new version Los Angeles !!! In case you haven’t seen it yet !!! OMG i’m crying as i’m posting that. And below it’s my hometown Bordeaux that used to be beautiful it’s a PG city since ASOBO are based there i guess it helped at start to get a great level of detail (PG) but not anymore as well… Not really what they are showing us at the beginning of Europe trailer…

I hope this joke will end soon… :sleepy:

1 Like

That water is hoorrible !!! It used to be one the greatest achievement of this sim… Now it’s f***ed up…

Depraved? :thinking:

Water looked much better on release.

2 Likes

Are this squares in the water new or since release? I dont really remember but it doesnt look good.

!

That what it looks around Chicago :confused:

I was shocked again today. In the mountains, the quality of the texture is terrible, the trees are shoddy. You could say myself again …

In my opinion, it would be appropriate for the developer to comment on the topic because there are very big issues. This visual world is unbearable … During a beta test, this region was amazing …

Settings: Ultra
Video card: 2080TI

1 Like

Compare that region to the images in Bing maps.

If they look okay in Bing maps, then it is how they are being displayed in the sim. If they look ropey there also, then either you imagined they were better in beta, or somehow the Bing imaging data has got worse.

It’s one, or the other.

I’m a little surprised at this fixation with the ground textures many seem to have. I for one am still not quite over the fact that I can land on some random hill in Idaho, and the hill has grass on it. I came from X-Plane, and every time I see that grass it’s like someone threw a bucket of cold water over me! :smile:

3 Likes

I am also quite angry that a tree is missing in my garden.

2 Likes

Maybe you should also have watched the last Q&A. Then you would now that this is just a false.
The LOD issues are a bug. They did not reduce drawing distance on purpose.

This squares in reflection was “introduced” with the first patch after release.

Their file system is so messed up. They have designed it so that the first time a file loads a particular parameter, it doesn’t load any similarly named parameters if it comes across them. It loads the community folder first, then others in alphabetical order and even within the community folder it is based on alphabetical order.

The issue this causes is when you have a third party developer make an update like the Japan update that has a lot of incorrect values in there and it is programmed to load first and thereby overwrite the correct base files.

This is part of what happened and is proven by the issue with building height and that the current community fix is modifying files in the new Japan files.

3 Likes

This “loading order” comment is interesting indeed.

For the building fix, I’ve discovered during the proof of concept phase I needed to modify both files, the global and the local copy in the Japan DLC. The later is a copy of the former with Japanese specific items added.

The fix therefore is using the most complete of the two files (the one from the Japan DLC) and removes the building “override” entries. In effect, it seems to correct building problems both in the global world and in Japan, therefore 1 file taking precedence over any other with same name loaded afterward like you’re describing!

This is correct. The game will load both files and only unique parameters within each file. This is why the community folder files do not need to have all parameters. You can have a base file with 100 parameters and a community file with only the 1 parameter You want to change and it will load the 1 from community first, then the 99 unique ones from base.

If you have two files, like base and Japan, any common parameters will only be loaded by whichever folder has been determined to be loaded first. So, you have to correct the Japan files with some parameters that are contained in both and also the base file for parameters that are contained only in the base.

Of course, there’s a really easy mapping system for parameters so you can easily tell where a parameter is getting its information from. :unamused::roll_eyes:

Edit: I said parameter a lot. Parameter.

1 Like

During beta testing, I flew around Alert Bay a lot. Beautiful place. I went back today and cried at the sight.

I don’t think I’ll use Flight Simulator anymore. I didn’t buy this sight … It would be nice if the developer would refund the money :slight_smile: This is a big nothing … Thanks to the developer for ruining the simulator with 2 updates.

Empty hillside

Poor island

Horror water texture

Poor quality trees

System: Intel Core i9 10850K + 1080ti

Exactly as in bing maps. If you prefer surreal landscapes maybe Aerofly is the right product for you.

https://www.bing.com/maps?toWww=1&redig=633956AD209648188BF0C7491EC71926

1 Like

First of all, I would say that I am still enjoying the sim, but for sure there are some things that were better at launch. For instance, the vegetation and the water quality have degradated and the LOD is somehow different (and variable I might say, it changes in different parts of the world). I also believe that this changes are not intentional and I will continue to use the sim and support the developer in the hope that this problems will be fixed. I’m attaching some pictures of the issues that I found (especially the poor looking trees in the “distance” and the “oil-water”, plus a “green island”). Overall I am really happy with the sim: I keep the frames locked at 30 and it is super smooth and the visuals are nontheless stunning, but the feeling of immersion that I had in the past weeks is different due these issues and it would be nice to feel that way again

Terrible sight … I would argue that the deterioration of the visual world is intentional. After the first update, the community indicated that there were major problems with the trees, water, and Lod.

With the second update, the developer further degraded the visual world. What are we talking about then?

2 Likes