LOD scaling and loss of detail post patch

what the hell is that?

today I flew over Russia and noticed for the first time that MSFS was using highres textures only for a small bubble around my airplane, the horizon uses some garbage.

I first thought it was a low quality area in the orthophotos but the highres bubble was moving with myp airlanes and the sim kept loading small tiles ca 1000x1000m. It looked horrible.

The sim used 0.1 MBit/second from 16MBit, which is getting frustrating. This sim could look amazing if it was set up correctly, but it prefers to waste 99% of the available internet bandwidth.

The amazing graphics looks more and more like a Potemkin village, and the more of the little tricks you understand the uglier it becomes.

I still prefer the low level graphics in MSFS but the way it renders mid and high level is ridiculous. I also flew X-Plane with orthos (SpainUHD) today and from a height of 5,000m the difference is amazing. in X-Plane it looks real and you can spot small details on the ground in MSFS everything becomes a pixelated mess.

3 Likes

low, medium, high tree settings:

And trees at the distance now look like sticks and not bushy.

5 Likes

perfect description of whats happening!

2 Likes

Just a closer look at the water surface in the foreground at the bottom of the picture says it all.

1 Like

Reducing the quality of the scenery and calling it ‘performance improvements’ is just plain cheating. Period.

12 Likes

Somthing is def wack. Ive been noticing every coastline be it lake, river, ocean whatever… looks way worse. Less sharpness and detail. Its sad, people en mass are noticing - it looks nothing like it did at launch. Its like all settings terrain/lod wise were squashed
Aircraft still look great, clouds and weather still looks fairly amazing.

Even tried amping up settings to no avail.
Asobo tweaked somthing on the low-low or they created an unfortunate “bug” or whatnot. But they know. They have to. Will they fix it is another matter entirely… otherwise this is just xplane2020

3 Likes

We should call it MSFS 2Orth20

Will ask again, PLEASE vote… the only way Asobo will review it. I don’t even think they read all the forums. Asobo/MS - Please Fix Photogrammetry (Latest Patch Has Made it Worse)

2 Likes

The problem is, not everyone is seeing a reduction in visuals. I was playing in 2k with mostly Ultra settings before the patch an now playing in 2k with all Ultra settings with none of the graphical issues people are claiming. No pop-in of trees no reduction of detail at all. Everything looks amazing especially now that I even bump up rendering to 120 which removes the shimmer I was seeing before.

My FPS has increased and the stutter and freezing is almost completely gone. It has become an amazing experience since the patch. My performance complaints now are only with the airliners. My FPS will drop in half on the ground. Once at 20,000 feet I’m back to 60-70 FPS again.

The autopilot issues and such are a whole other issue though.

2080ti, 9700k, 32g DDR4, 144hz Gsync and SSD.

The way to get smoothness for those having issues is for those having issues to lower LOD settings in the menu. Do not hard code lower LOD settings that will impact those who aren’t having smoothness issues because they have higher-spec hardware. Hard-coding lower LOD across the board is an unacceptable way to achieve performance gains.

2 Likes

All of you do realize that they now got the 90+ reviews, right?! Are you really surprised that they pull tricks like this one now?

There’re people here who raised issues in the forums and via Zendesk over and over and over again during the Alpha period—there’s been little to no progress for the vast majority of them over time.

You should shout at them (politely) on Twitter to get their attention, anything else will be buried in these forums while spread over many threads…

3 Likes

I’ve been to that part as well. It’s a complete mismatch between the low res sat images and generic high res detailed tiles. It happens in places where Bing doesn’t have good coverage and sometimes the low res sat images actually have more detail, while beneath you you get bland green ground.

It could be worse, this is the (very) North of Canada

You jump into the UserCfg.opt file and push those babies all the way past 200.

C:\Users[USER}\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\UserCfg.opt

Would this work for someone with a mid-range system though? I get 30-40fps with LOD at 200.

Absolutely agree!, And the worst thing is, the really big downgrade was made from alpha to beta!. The release version was already severely downgraded, especially the vegetation LoD and density.

1 Like