Logbook not updating after patch

If we consider it a bug, then it might be perhaps one of two things:

1. The player has fulfilled all the objectives to trigger a takeoff/landing, but it did not trigger for some reason. I see this a lot at untowered airstrips, where it does not detect you taxiing, then entering the runway.

2. Sim logic for advancing through those states itself are bugged.

A workaround for 1 might be to simply credit the user with a takeoff. I’ve observed that even when it still thinks you are supposed to be taxiing to the runway entrance, even though you are currently climbing, it will eventually switch to one of the later states, such as climb to cruise height. Just consider that as a take off event.

Take off are fine. those are correct and logged every time.

I landed at kuwait airport with IFR gently, no hard landing or crash. atc asked me to leave at nearest taxiway and then contact ground. I change to ground and there are no taxi to gates or parking only taxi for take-off or ground service. Today I flew to anchorage and flight is fully logged.

Did you use the recently released Kuwait community add-on? Anecdotally, I have more issues with take-offs and landings not logging at community add-ons compared with default airports.

What we have here is a failure to communicate.

I haven’t seen or read ANYTHING from MS about what is a takeoff and what is a landing, or more precisely, what triggers a logbook entry for a takeoff and what triggers a landing entry. We cannot rely on what is obvious to most people or what other flight sims do. Personally, I think the logbook feature was poorly designed. After flying for three months, I do not understand how I can have zero takeoffs and TWO landings for a recent flight. And if I choose an incomplete flight to fly it, why is a new flight entered in the log instead of finishing the one I selected?

I just installed FS for the first time 11/17. Got new hotas controls today. No other add ons or dev mode. I did adjust a couple of the controls settings and change flight mode/difficulty settings. I did not explicitly enable flight mode. I have made successful take-offs (IMO) and a could landings. Nothing in the log book though. I thought maybe I had to manually open the navi and start/stop to record. I’ll try that. But should I have to? Seems the expectation here is that I should not have to.

What triggers a takeoff or a landing is getting a proper clearance from ATC to takeoff or to land on a specified runway at a controlled airport, not any runway, the one you requested or was assigned to you, just like in real life. Note here, in your flight plan, if you start your flight on a given runway, FS will position your aircraft on the runway, engine running, and proper takeoff clearance granted. At a controlled airport, if a full stop landing is intended let ATC know, this will trigger the sequence for you to request a parking spot, otherwise, ATC assumes you did a touch and go and will guide you to take off again. At non controlled airports you have to make your intentions known to ATC either takeoff or landing. ATC will not respond to your communication, but somehow, this acts as a clearance for a takeoff or landing. MS wants you to make your intentions known to other aircraft like in a real unmanned airport. Little trick here, let your copilot handle the ATC communications, and keep your ATC window open, this way you will know what is going on and what is expected from you. The objective window is also a great help. Again a proper takeoff or landing clearance is a must for any log entry to work properly. ATC is the boss, instructions have to be followed and all your flights, takeoffs, landings, etc, will be logged properly.

No. Right now I mostly flying to default airports. I’m finding out right now where are good airports and where to fly in this vicinity.

Just “crash the aircraft” on landing … and you will at least get your flight time logged.

The counting of Takeoff and Landings is still a mystery. You will find many good hints in this thread … but none seems to work perfectly.

Uff this is dissappointing. I’ll try to get this achievement too in the next couple of days…

I have not used that feature outside of the training flights, so you definitely don’t need to do that. But you do need to follow the objectives based progress tracking of you flight if you want them to be logged correctly.

I had hoped to post all those stages to de-mystify this process, and for me, at towered airports, if I do what the sim expects of me, it works 100% of the time. But I have to do what the sim expects. This won’t work so well for those trying to follow instructions from outside the sim.

For untowered airports, landings are fine, and I can get them to log all the time, but takeoffs are hit and miss, as it often doesn’t detect you have taxied on to the runway. There is a step at towered airports, where you hold short then request takeoff clearance. This step is absent at untowered airports, and that is the step that doesn’t advance most of the time.

I’d still like to see a video of someone going through that process to hopefully identity where it is going wrong for them. My guess is skipping over part of that process somehow.

I ran a short flight, ignored most of the objectives (some you complete just by getting airborne etc), landed, taxied to my spot, shut down as normal and it correctly registered the entire flight.

Seemingly you don’t need to follow all objectives to get it to log.

Yeah, I noticed when I did a test at an un-towered airstrip, that didn’t detect me entering the runway. After take-off, an presumably a certain altitude was reached, all the steps previous to that starting to advance, and auto-complete. I don’t remember whether that actual flight got logged correctly though, so need to test.

They definitely need to work on that logic, as 9 times out of 10 it will not detect I have taxied to the runway, then entered for take-off.

I’ve also had a few cases where, because of an issue with the take-off which did not clear, when I landed, even requesting permission from ATC to do so, after landing, the process did not advance to the next objective. However, as I taxied off the runway, it then flipped to clearing the runway, and I was able to request taxi to parking.

Their process seems to have conditional checks that are often not triggered for a variety of reasons. In some cases I have had to do a quick take-off, and landing again while staying in the circuit, to get the process back on track.

And sometimes you can follow the objectives and ATC to the letter and the log doesn’t work correctly.
It’s almost like some of the data is getting lost or failing to be recorded. When it comes to updating your log book at the end it only goes as far as the failure point.
Be interesting to see if this gets discussed in the next Q&A.
I’ve been reporting this for months.

1 Like

today i had one of the longest flights in my 2020 history.
and it didn’t log. very frustrating.

i never experienced a no-log before. or just didn’t notice?

anyway, i hope this gets fixed soon.

1 Like

I read from somewhere that there’s a trick to the log issue.

When you’re experiencing the log bug, Restart the flight. Once it’s finished reloading, instead of clicking Ready to Fly, you just escape back to the main menu.

Open up your logbook and you should see the flight hours are logged. Even though the departing airport and arriving airport are the same.

hmm. the flight is not in the logbook. how should i reload it?

Not reload from the logbook. But when you’re at the parking spot and you’ve cutoff all engines and the logbook isn’t appearing… Press ESC then press Restart on the bottom menu. That should bring you back to the departing airport. Then instead of pressing Ready to Fly. You press ESC again, then exit to Main Menu.

ah, ok. but why does it matter, if the logbook appears?

the sim logged my other flys too. even if the logbook didn’t pop up.

I thought you said you didn’t get logged. which I assume the logbook at the end of the flight didn’t appear. to me whenever the logbook appears, my flight is logged. But if I sit there on the parking spot after I cutoff my engines and the logbook doesn’t appear to end the flight. My flight isn’t logged.

So that’s just a trick I do when my logbook doesn’t appear, (which signifies my flight isn’t logged) and I do the trick to get my flights logged.

I suppose it’s forcing the game to log the flight the same way it behaves with your other flight. Logging the hours without having the logbook appears.

ok thank you. until this gets fixed i will try this as a workaround and take care, the logbook appears.