Logbook should not pop up in the middle of the shutdown procedure

There is really no “at least” scenario here. It should not automatically pop up when in the plane, period. It could be tied to when someone hits escape after the flight. Pilot goes through shut down, flight is complete, hits escape to leave the current flight, then it could ask IF you want to log your flight.

7 Likes

Yes I agree the Taxi arrows are viewed at a ridiculous size, I would have thought it possible to light the centre line lights with a yellow. While talking about lights the taxi light edge lights are ridiculously on the large size and on 3ft poles that you have to ignore and just taxi over them. Very unrealistic all round in my view.

I have met your problems, if I take off fly to another airport and do touch and go’s then return to my original airport, which I have done in real life, the sim log book only records one take off and one landing. So much for the log book, I wish we had the option to fill it in ourselves.

It is funny, but the biggest immersion effect for me occurs, when I shut down the aircraft AND actually finally open a door, and view the ground, as if I actually would step out of the aircraft (in VR), which actually I could in VR, if not my real floor would rather coincide with the aircraft floor, which is normally much higher than the apron ground.
I somehow love this feeling of either opening a door, or in some aircraft a canopy, while taxiing to parking. It somehow gives a feeling of great freedom … may be I am VR crazy and should go and live in the matrix …

2 Likes

… which in fact is then just compensating for another flaw …

2 Likes

Quite true. :slight_smile:

this logbook pop up is crazy. voted.

2 Likes

I’m happy that it is going to be fixed but why is it taking so long? I would just think it would be a small thing and I think it should come in SU4.

2 Likes

Yeah, it should have been fixed months ago. In fact, it never should have been a thing at all, it has no place in a flight sim.

3 Likes

This should be so simple even to a beginner programmer:

if (all engines off) and (all buses not energized) then (show “End Flight” popup)

Why does it need to check anything though? Why can’t we just have an End Flight option on the pause screen that triggers the popup? Makes it even easier in my opinion.

EDIT: Or do it when we click the Quit to Main Menu option

1 Like

There already is, kind of, in the form of the main menu button. But due to the way the logging is driven by what phase of your flight the sim believes you to be in, it may or may not log the flight correctly.

That’s not simple at all. What if i’m flying a glider with absolutely no electricity on board? Does the logbook pop up as soon as i start the flight? Or does it never pop up because i never turned off the engines i don’t have, and i never cut power to the busses i don’t have? What if i have all those things and i have an inflight engine fire and i have to cut the engine and battery? What if i have none of those and i’m waiting on the apron to start my next flight?

What’s simple is this:

If the user is returning to main menu, show the logbook.

Simple. Clean. Reliable. You are 100% sure the flight has ended.

Some people are going to be mad at me for saying this, but i’ll say it anyways: This all ties in with other choices Asobo have made which to me indicate that they have a vision for how FS2020 is to be used and how people should fly in it.

3 Likes

The whole logbook is useless in its current state, so there is absolutely no need for that screen to pop up In the middle of the shutdown procedure.

I can’t count how many times I did a flight of an hour or more but the logbook screen at the end of the flight would claim that I only was in the air for 15 minutes or so with my departure location allegedly being in the “vicinity” of my arrival airport.

And of course a flight doesn’t get saved in the logbook at all if you decide to continue instead of going back to the menu.

So in a nutshell: it’s an entirely inaccurate data collection that even can get wiped completely by server troubles, as we have seen with the “out if date” bug.

About as useful as eyes in your armpits. :smiley:

4 Likes

If you do a single flight, and don’t use Continue it will always log. Vicinity logs sometimes happen depending on where you parked up at the time, though I have seen some where I am clearly in the area encompassing what you would describe as the airfield.

I don’t seem to have the original image as I think I deleted it when I realised that logging it with Zendesk would be a waste of time, so below is an example of one of my vicinity logs as I remember it:

The red X is kind of where I would have parked, but in my actual case it was a controlled airfield, this example just had the kind of vicinity I am referring to. In the log I saw as my destination “6AZ8 (Vicinity)”. It thought I had actually landed near the airstrip to the North, rather than actually parking on the ramp at “14AZ”. I’ve only seen that once.

1 Like

Although you have a point, I still think my argument stands. The solution is still simple: Make a consistent rule for all airplanes. Considering sailplanes, we could still write a simple pseudocode like this:

if [(all engines off) and (all buses not energized)] or canopy open then (show “End Flight” popup)

The problem is that today, some planes trigger the end flight menu when engines are turned off. Other planes do it when the main bus is de-energized. Some don’t trigger it at all.

In the end, we all agree that:

Is the best option, since that’s how MSFS always worked since logbook functionality was introduced (I can’t remember in which version). I also understand that:

I also agree with your conclusion. The developer wants to give the game a more “gamy” feel, presenting a clear cue to the player that the “mission” was completed. That’s where my original contribution comes in: What makes most of us displeased is not the existence of the end flight popup, is that it pops up before we consider the flight ended. I’m just pointing out that the developer should understand better the moment we feel the flight is completed. And for that I thank you for noting that I forgot about the sailplane pilots, even if that was not your intention.

1 Like

I’d like to note that the logbook feature was MUCH worse in the past. So many flights were not logged at all. Now, it seems the developers decided to log everything, including zero hour flights. It is not perfect, but it is improving.

…(cough) [trying to ignore the whole logbook erasure fiasco]… :broken_heart:

The fact is it seems there is a new trend in the industry: Many games are in a perpetual beta test phase. MSFS is one of them. The good news is that Asobo is really listening to us “beta testers” and taking our inputs into consideration. To me, the gradual improvements in the logbook functionality is proof and it should motivate us to continue presenting constructive criticism both in here and in Zendesk.

By contrast, if there is any Elite Dangerous players here, they would clearly note a stark difference of posture between the two developers towards the player base. :rage:

Solution still isn’t simple. You not only have to look for those states, you have to hope that the particular addon you’re using is reporting all those states (it might not, and instead handle them outside the sim). And what if the glider i’m using doesn’t have a canopy?

That’s not the plane triggering it. That’s the game triggering it. And this inconsistency is precisely the reason why you shouldn’t rely on the rules you’re talking about. Do you think complicating it is going to make it any more robust? I don’t think so.

But you’re still perpetuating the same problem. You moved the problem from what Asobo consider to be the end of flight to what you consider to be end of flight. Some people don’t want to end the flight after shutting down the engine, turning off the battery, and opening the canopy/door. Some people then proceed to chock the wheels, tie the airplane down, and spend a few more minutes in the cockpit making note of how much fuel they might have left, or checking fluids, or just listening to the birds and looking at the scenery. Those people will still be annoyed by your solution. So what are we going to do then? Force everyone to tie down the plane and admire the scenery for 5 minutes, otherwise they won’t get a logbook entry? Of course not. The only thing that makes sense is this:

The flight has ended when the user tells you the flight has ended by returning to the main menu.

No guessing. No fiddling around with conditions. Let the user decide.

2 Likes

After this, I can only conclude that you will never be satisfied with anything, thus, I’m considering this conversation pointless and will no longer participate.

Considering I said this:

And I have said it several times, I can only conclude that you don’t actually read what people say, and as such any conversation with you is pointless.

1 Like