Long Way Down (In Reverse): Cape Town to John o' Groats

Hi
I reached FVBI yesterday and am enjoying the flight , may catch up and join you live one day.

Great to hear that you’re enjoying it, you’re catching up with us quickly!

Please do join us live if you get a chance, we’re a friendly bunch and don’t bite :slight_smile: We generally fly a couple of times a week normally Wednesday evenings and a flight over the weekend if we’re free. I update the calendar on discord with full details a few days before each flight.

Leg 30 Arba Mich (HAAM) to Dodola (HADO) - 120 NM

A short hop in the mountains of Ethiopia… the leg saw us climbing to the summit of this trip so far reaching over 10,000 feet to clear the final mountain pass. We were all surprised by how green and lush the Ethiopian countryside was.

It’s going to be a struggle in the climb out for tonight’s flight!

1 Like

Leg 31 Dodola (HADO) to Addids Adaba (HAAB) - 151 NM

Route planning was the game for this leg and we made several detours from the planned track to weave our way between the weather. Fortunately a natural corridor of clear skies opened for us and we were able to make our way to Bole International passing another Volcanic area before the approach into Bole. This is the first major international airport we’ve been into for a while and we sharing taxiways with Emirates and Etihad.

1 Like

Hi, have had a couple of days off but am now setting off on leg 20. Enjoying every minute.

2 Likes

Leg 32 Addids Adaba (HAAB) to Combolcha (HADC) - 159 NM

We departed Addis into stormy conditions flying low to follow roads and maintain VFR (most of the time!). Both @DenJyskeUlv and I had a “wow” moment when we reached the edge of a high altitude plateau and the vista of the Ethiopian highlands opened up below us.

1 Like

Leg 33 Combolcha (HADC) to Azezo (HAGN) - 188 NM

Ethiopia knocked it out of the ballpark on this leg! We left the town of Combolcha following a network of River canyons before negotiating a steep climb (which required a 360 on my part) up to 12,000 feet to reach another high mountain plateau. The leg ended over the bright green waters of Lake Tana and a barrier of weather which made our approach into Azezo challenging to say the least!

Did I mention that we stumbled across a heard of Giraffe along the way! Totally unplanned, but the icing on an amazing leg.

With a new baby due in a few days time, I’m putting a pause on this trip for a week or so but look forward to picking up where we left off. Over the next few legs we have the Sahara, Khartoum and the Pyramids to look forward to :slight_smile:

@DenJyskeUlv @TicTocRock as always the journey wouldn’t be the same without you. @RCHeliflyer hopefully the short break will give you some time to catch-up with us :slight_smile:

3 Likes

After a few weeks of glorious family time with a newborn, it’s time to get back in the air! We’ll be continuing the journey this evening on Discord leaving the highlands of Ethiopia behind for the desserts of Sudan.

1 Like

Congratulations on your new addition to your family👍

1 Like

Hi
Congratulations. I have had a week or two off but am now flying over lake victoria heading for HUKJ. Enjoying the scenery .

1 Like

Leg 34 Azezo (HAGN) to Gedaref (HSGF) - 168 NM

It’s great to be back in the skies again with @TicTocRock and @DenJyskeUlv. We were blessed with clear skies for the high altitude climb out of Azezo. The mountainous terrain ad valleys of Ethiopia quickly gave way to the arid plains of Sudan.

The approach into Gedaref was “interesting” and the field turned out to be just a dusty stain on the landscape.

1 Like

Leg 35 Gedaref (HSGF) to Khartoum (HSSS) - 202 NM
It was flat, very flat and barren so we had some fun with close formation flying, low flying and in the case of @DenJyskeUlv pretending to be helicopter! The Blue Nile brought us to our destination Khartoum, the capital of Sudan.

1 Like

Leg 36 Khartoum (HSSS) to Merowe (HSMR) - 208 NM
The urban sprawl of Khartoum quickly gave way to the golden sands of the Sahara stretching for miles in all directions with only a few hills to break the barren landscape. Through some quirk of live weather the wind jumped suddenly from 10 knots to 35+ on the way to Merowe straight on the nose which made for some slow progress!

After a few hundred miles we re-joined the Nile west of Merowe for the approach, opting to land at the smaller dirt strip of HSMR rather than becoming tied up with the jetliners at the main international airport.

The dessert legs are turning into a bit of slog, one more push tonight and then we’ll be heading into Egypt with temples and pyramids on our route northwards to Cairo.

1 Like

Leg 37 Merowe (HSMR) to Wadi Halfa (HSSW) - 211 NM

Following the Nile for a few miles, we soon branched northwards into the barren expanse of the Sahara with 200 miles of desert before making our descent into Wadi Halfa. The winds were against with up to 35 knots on the nose but @DenJyskeUlv and I endured.

The leg saw the first crash of the trip with yours truly booting his passenger out mid flight leading to the balance and controls going haywire.

We’ll be flying again on Tuesday which will see us crossing the border into Egypt and hopefully a few temples and pyramids to break up the barren landscape :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi all
My next leg ,hopefully tomorrow is HADC to HAGD. Catching up slowly.

1 Like

That was one of my favourite legs so far. Make sure you turn on the fauna markers in the settings so you can find the giraffes :slight_smile:

1 Like

**Leg 38 Wadi Halfa (HSSW) to Aswan International (HESN) - 186NM **

We followed the route of the Nile northwards leaving the Sudan and entering Egypt! Clear skies and interesting hilly scenery with a temple to boot :slight_smile:

@TicTocRock and I spent a good hour trying to work out why we were experiencing significantly different winds, shouting abuse at Asobo until I realised I’d forgotten to turn on live weather :wink:

link to the excellent Abu Simbel temple here… Abu Simbel Temple (Egypt) v1.0 » Microsoft Flight Simulator

1 Like

Leg 39 Aswan International (HESN) to Luxor (HELX) - 118 NM

An enjoyable evening cruise up the Nile to Luxor in time for sunset (with a bit of help from the time slider!). It’s a shame that the Valley of the Kings isn’t featured in the Sim, but the scenery made up for it.

1 Like

Leg 40 Luxor (HELX) to El Minya (He25) - 207NM

We chased the setting sun further north towards our last stop before Cairo. A few learnings from our 3rd cruise along the Nile.

1. The Nile is big, very big
  2. At this time in the year there a strong northerly headwinds making going very slow
  3. Scenery is stunning with lush river valley blending into the dessert

Looking forward to the Pyramids during tonight’s leg!

3 Likes

I’m currently doing a similar route, but going in the opposite direction. I started in Italy, and I’m hoping to reach Cape Town eventually, with a probably lengthy stop in the Okavango (I’ve bought both Orbx sceneries). I’ve made it as far as Luxor so far, but the temples are not modelled, so I’ll be moving on to Abu Simbel next, where there is something to see at least. Enjoying the updates here, wishing you good weather and tailwinds!

1 Like