Longitude RNAV & ILS lock after initial capture - Longitude

Recently finding RNAV and ILS approach capture losing altitude guidance, at near end of approach. After initial capture where altitude is managed and works… AP & ILS & GP all showing normal - but aircraft seems to lose decent (altitude) control. I’ve done a number of flights, both ILS & RNAV approach. Initial capture works perfectly, but near middle / before inner marker - altitude control is lost - green guidance indicator drops steadily below the GP, but no indication of ILS or RNAV failure. Just me ? I am very cautious about approach speeds - so after several tests - does not seem to be the issue.

2nd ? - is ADF navigation not working in the Longitude. Tuning correctly - but set frequency shown on displays starts blinking - no PFD arrow direction indication or even display indicating pick up of the frequency - and tests are within range of the ADF - less than 50 miles ?

Thank you as always for any insight or comments…

1 Like

Moved to #self-service:aircraft-systems

Maybe one year problem already.

Need do speed corrections to be ok with indicator, no other help.

WTTG3000 in use?

First off, I would install the G3000 Working Title mod as well as the Longitude Flight Dynamics Project mod if you haven’t already.

I occasionally get some glideslope “drift”, but more often with RNAV, which is less precise than ILS. If it gets too far off, I’ll land it manually. I use auto-throttle until about 100 feet AGL, which definitely simplifies landings by making airspeed a near-constant.

It could also be flight modelling. The CJ4 Working Title seems to be rock solid in terms of capturing approaches, compared to the Longitude.

Finally, it could be certain airports that have this issue over others. Is there a particular airport where you see this more often?

Personal Comments

No issues here - I’ve been flying the Longitude for a long time with WT G3000 and Dakfly’s Flight Dynamics Enhancement. AT only reduces pilot workload, but you still need to set an appropriate descent speed/rate to keep the VNAV diamond centered. Generally speaking I set about a 180 descent speed around 1800 fpm just before the FAF, gradually reducing power to establish Vrefs crossing the threshold. Guidance is pretty consistent - you just gotta do the cross-checks; don’t count on AUTO Tune for the NAV Radios on ILS, make sure you’re just under the Altitude Fixes all the way to the FAF, and set APR right before the FAF.

The only oddities I’ve seen are certain approaches where ILS and/or RNAV drops out before the FAF or showing alignment - those are very rare and I’ve flown a lot of Class B metro airports in CONUS and EU as well as smaller Executive fields. I rack those up to airfield oddities rather than Aircraft System problems.

Thanks for feedback.

I am using G3000 current version, but looks like I missed Dakfly’s Flight Dynamics. Thank you for the suggestion.

My issue has occurred on a wide variety of airports, from KMSO, to KEYW, KORL, KJAC, KTTN, KHKY, KAVL, and some others. (Yes, I fly often & enjoy ++)

I’ll find the Dakly’s Flight Dynamics - hopefully may help.

As far as my approach speeds - I’m slow compared to Casual’s AT speed. I have been disconnecting AT before IAF, to ensure I’m at or just above 140kts. I use manual speed as I slow to about 125-130kts (near sea level - higher, of course at altitude). Longitude settles gently / nice with touchdown around 115-120 for me…

RNAV is fun - especially up at KMSO (Missoula, Mt.), where, when in iffy weather - the RNAV “orbit approach” works really well and fun - I know the area and the terrain challenges…

I’m used to a 180 descent and just before final - GotGravel’s Vertigo (a modded VL-3 with a PT-6a) is a great trainer for fast speeds and learning to index on approach. Remember, the spoilers are deployable at that speed, so I’m not shy about using it for gross speed control.

Understand - Thanks again. Wish I had a full throttle quad with more buttons to handle spoilers. I’m already fully assigned - spoilers are available only via manual slide adjust with mouse -

Embarrassed again - but maybe I learned something. I do have version 1.95 Dakfly’s Flight Dynamics Enhancement loaded and updated - confirmed via Liveries. (Flying too much - forget the few d/l’s I’ve installed) - my system is really very-very “stock”, very few adds…

However, I now wonder if somehow during last updates - my selected aircraft livery assignment was lost - aircraft displayed properly with my selected paint - but when I “checked” the 1.95 version of the same livery - I saw a slightly different load - starting the flight. IE: I may have lost my livery selection “with” 1.95 option. Starting a flight now - we’ll see.

(PS: thks for posting my comments in correct forum - appreciated).

Yep, I upgraded to a VKB Gladiator and too many additional hardware modules (went a little crazy), but it has a built-in slider that normally would be for throttle, but since I have a dedicated quadrant now, I use that for Spoiler deployment.

Oh well, no joy.

I’ve checked & rechecked G3000 & Dakfly’s 1.95. I’ve ensured I selected my Longitude from the livery reflecting the 1.95 mod. ILS on my system still drifting below - upon reaching ~ 1,500 AGL. AP on Approach confirmed - GS indicator stays green - even though aircraft starts a GS path above the actual GS. I let the AP / Approach mode stay on to see if aircraft would try to descend to match GS - but it did not. I just disengage AP and land manually - before I should have to do that. Prior to the drift @ 1,500 AGL, Approach mode works 100% matching GS perfectly. ???

Just a quirk, I guess.

Any chance to have this post renewed for open comments ?

Issue remains - would be great if acknowledged issue (MS Flight users) - who use G3000 or Dakfly"s - before I go direct to 3rd party devlopers. My system is super super simple - if just my setup - no reason to bother 3rd party developers.

Thanks