Longterm for XBox

People that are on just PC will usually buy direct. People that go back and forth between Xbox and PC, and I’ve seen people who do that, usually buy from the marketplace so they only have to purchase once.

PC, developers can test their mod on their PC. For XBox during development, all they can do is simulate. If there is an error in a mod, and it doesn’t work in PC too, the developer can tweak and test on their PC, or maybe they have to get Asobo involved.

For Xbox, the developers never get to see their mod tested on real equipment until it’s released in the store and they can download it themselves. And XBox specific errors, usually that ends up involving the XBox team to look and see what is wrong with the mod.

So yeah, none of these suggestions would have any impact on mid development for PC, but development for that platform isn’t seeing these specific issues

Just so you know, I do not have an Xbox, but I’ve been following this thread/topic. I support you 100% because you have a VERY valid concern… and you all have articulated your case very well🙂 I can easily see myself being impacted by something like this, so I empathize.

Not sure what division the Marketplace falls under… but perhaps a hardcopy letter sent by Certified Mail would help get the attention this deserves?

I sure hope you get a response from the appropriate group or person soon. Clearly, this issue should be officially recognized and addressed in a timely manner.

4 Likes

The release notes should tell you which mods are waiting for a fix and should be deleted from your system for now but unless the devs contact them Asobo are probably as much in the dark as you are. With no other way of knowing it may be best to delete them all from the Xbox and bring them back one by one but as you also have the PC version it might be an idea for you to keep mods installed in parallel and possibly provide Asobo with some very useful information when you actually discover the bugs. Ever thought of Xbox emulation although that might not be possible with a PC’s lower bandwidth?

You’ve put yourself in our shoes and that’s a big thing, I wished more were like you here on these forums. Shows me a lot of your character and you’re much deserving of respect. I meant it when I say kudos to everyone here who’s contributed. Professional and classy.

A lot of other threads just turn into shouting matches and low key platform war nonsense where eventually you have no idea what the original problem even was. I’m throwing it out there that’s why the real issues get drowned out.

Getting so angry that a cloud looks unrealistic or a tree shouldn’t be on the side of a said taxiway. Everything is “Immersion Killing and Game Breaking and needs immediate attention”. What chance do we have to address the core issues that exist on any platform? I’m fully aware you guys over on the PC side have your issues to and you’ve got my sympathy. We’re going through this together and should be supportive of everyone’s issues.

4 Likes

personally, have used MFS Steam version on PC since the beginning,

all MFS PC addon purchases have been via third party sites - these addons have the advantage of being able to be quickly tweaked & deployed (unlike Marketplace versions) & are accessible via the Community folder…

just received the Xbox XSX in the last month - and purchased from the Marketplace a couple of Orbx products (which had already purchased for the PC) plus the basic Reno package…

the XSX is wonderful for casual MFS flying & the streaming scenery in 4K HDR on TV is great - just using the controller at the moment - & have the Thrustmaster Hotas One & Logitech wireless KB & mouse to hook up soon…

we can only hope that this thread is being monitored by the Xbox team - many sensible comments & suggestions - so that the obvious Xbox MFS problems, as described , can be effectively resolved…

5 Likes

Just so you know, you will encounter the lack of being able to save the hotas sensitivity settings bug, and quite likely the mouse cursor freeze bug intermittently. The keyboard has no bugs and will likely work fine. Like you say, the X looks great for streaming scenery at 4K on a big 4K TV. It’s wonderful for that purpose if that is your thing. I like flying airliners and the mouse freezes were a killer for me, flight planning on the world map is the worst place for mouse freezes. The bugs may get fixed at some point, but they have been there since launch in July with no sign of being fixed, and there’s currently no XBox specific bug list. Also note, that anything you purchase through the in game marketplace can be installed on PC and vice versa. You can of course only use FS on one platform at a time, but your profile should move between platforms fairly seamlessly which is good.

it makes sense that an Xbox MFS specific bug list should be published & maintained…

4 Likes

Xbox Gamestudios has enough very well educated Xbox Developer… like " The Coalition (Gears of War)". They also helped EPic with their new Unreal 5 Demo Matrix Techdemo…

If that is what they are doing I would argue that this is a huge mistake! Addons is where the real money is at. A friend that was over in my old FSX days commented on how great the sim looked on my PC and that he was interested in possibly purchasing it. I then had to explain to him that everything he was seeing and hearing on my screen was in fact an Addon. Nothing, I mean nothing was Default FSX. Weather, ATC Traffic and liveries, ATC voices, ground textures and roads, night lights, trees, aircraft instrumentation, not to mention the aircraft themselves. Plus the aircraft I was flying had a custom skin that I had done myself. My spouse would have killed me if she how much $$$ I had dumped into that sim. The FSX program cost was minimal and it was in fact just an operating system running in Windows.

I went with console so I for ease of use. I have a gaming rig, but I just want to fly and what I am seeing on my screen with MSFS 2020 is amazing and is coming out of a game console! I am a patient individual and this sim is new to console. I will give them some time to work the bugs out in the hopes that they will deliver a good stable product. From watching some YouTube content the PC players are having a lot of issues as well.

You know I still on occasion get tempted to load the old FS9 back on the PC. I miss that old freeware addon of the Grumman Goose based on the TV show Tales of the Gold Monkey! What awesome plane.

1 Like

Agree that a major source of rev must be via add ons, but they do need to have some QA analysis going on after SU updates etc. It should never fall to end user to do that analysis. I just don’t see the mechanism (eg. there are no flags/no text saying unconfirmed/comfirmed works with SU7 etc, even on PC). I hope it’s just hidden from users rather than not happening, but who knows.
You are right & patience is a virtue certainly, but can be radically influenced by what bugs there are and how they impact your specific sim use/experience. The game/experience breaking bugs that were not being addressed in 5 months drove me to the point where was questioning the platfroms viability with FS (I wasn’t planning to use it for anything else). Had I not been using a mouse and flying A320 and mainly using controller it may not have been so annoying. I think things like mouse loss of control particularly grates as how hard can it be to have a functioning bog-standard USB mouse maintain control? Especially as others have reported that mouse works fine on other console games on the same platform.
Again, it all boils down to how long you feel like waiting for such things to be fixed and how much these issues are a hinderance to your enjoyment. For me switching to PC, I’ve had minimal issues (after setting my system up to run smooth graphically on my lower end gaming card) and things like the mouse bug are not a gamebreaking experience any more. Yes there are issues on PC too, but most are commonly shared across platform FS type ones, not game breaking platform specific ones.
When you find yourself saying this XBox would be great if only Windows 10/11 was on it, then it’s time to get a PC.

1 Like

It was my understanding that the Series Consoles were going to get a true Next Gen OS. Soon after launch, people were quick to voice dissappointment after seeing that the PS5 got a totally revamped OS and Series XlS was stuck with the old XBONE system. I’m sure Phil Spencer himself acknowledged the fact and said they’re working on it, on camera to mind you. That was way back even before Xmas last year.

I can’t blame people for talking smack about the Series consoles in that regard. From the moment I’ve had this, I’ve never really felt that it’s Next Gen until you get a 10sec boot up from cold start or you play a One X or Series Optimized game. The jaw drops when you suddenly discover you finally have Framerates and more detail than you could’ve ever thought from a console in current year. You are spot on about how quiet it is, the only time I’ve ever heard a noise is when there’s a disk inside, then it comes as a shock in an amusing way. They’ve definitely pulled off something astounding here.

1 Like

For flightsim, the most important thing for Xbox for me would be to do with hardware compatibility. Although there are Yokes etc slowly coming onto the market, for people like me who have already invested in FS hardware for PC, it would be great if someone would design an interface that would allow us to use our PC hardware with Xbox. It seems such an obvious gap; in the market, I don’t know why this hasn’t been done yet.

I feel your pain! My CH products just sit in storage collecting dust! I was lucky enough to get a Turtle Beach Yoke for the Xbox, but it would have been nice if I could have just used my old system.

1 Like

That was pretty much a best case scenario before Xbox. Nowadays, it can stretch to a couple of months even. There’s a reason lot of 3rd party devs don’t put their stuff on the marketplace. It’s a long, onerous process and it’s bad for their product, as they can’t react to issues quickly like they can selling direct or on other 3rd party resale sites like SimMarket. They may forego potential Xbox sales, but then they don’t have to downgrade their product to have it work on the consoles, they can actually test their products and know they’ll work once published, and they don’t have to deal with the flood of irate customers ■■■■■■■■ at them when Microsobo break their add-on and it takes them 10 weeks to be able to push an update via the marketplace, when they can push the fix through other sites in a day or two.

1 Like

The backlog was high. But with the new people, the current backlog is about 2-3 weeks, which it was before

Well, I hope you’re right about that. The marketplace is in a pretty sorry state overall. It’s driving PC users away from it and completely messing up the experience for Xbox users who have no other option.

1 Like

There is a difference between

(a) adding more people and getting product quicker into the market place,

and

(b) adding more people and getting “W O R K I N G” product quicker into the market place.

I have the same sim experience and second what you said.

Indeed there is problems with the store, especially with the functionality of it. At least we have live weather to look forward to…

@tgbushman not sure if you’ve seen this thread. Seems like it should be part of this one, but here’s a key quote (see attached image in this linked post) -

1 Like