Looking for Updates black screen blue bar stuck

Man I am also the lucky one with that new bug. Everything has been running fine for weeks until yesterday an update showed up (7GB). Work all right but now I am stuck with that black screen too. It never load. I cleaned up the community folder but that make no difference. I have to re-download 100GB on my not so fast internet What a MAJOR bug.

Sorry youā€™re having that problem. Iā€™m back up and running after re-downloading (108 Gb) and re-installing for the time being. I noticed a suggestion to check for in one of the forums: Check that the last line of the UserCfg.opt file which is the Installed Packages path line points to the correct subdirectory. This file is located in the Local Cache sub-directory. Iā€™m thinking that when he program is searching for ā€œLooking for updatesā€ process it gets pointed in an incorrect direction. You can right-click on this fie and selects edit with Notepad.

Hi Just to confirm that as far as Iā€™m concerned, after re initializing my XBox live credentials, it seems to be ok now. I can open the sim either from the account or from the Box and it works.

Well it was too good to be trueā€¦ After 4 flights w/o any problem, back to that hell of a black screen and stucked with the blue line at around 80 %. Moreover, since have no way to get out of the black screen, it leads to have no other solution but to shut down the PC by hitting the start button which is of course not good at all

Iā€™ve tried all the tricks given by the support team but no way.

I really suspect Microsoft (Not Asobo) to have a major bug in their Xbox live system (Since before the launch of this I did not have any problem) or that it might be a way to push us to enter the paying Game pass even if we donā€™t need/want it. Seems weird but why notā€¦

Iā€™ve send a new request to the support team and just got a feed back saying that they were looking at it but since no news.

Anyway I can see that many of us are facing this problem and that so far Microsoft does not seem to have a real consideration for its customers. We have paid already isnā€™t it ??

Back again to a full re installationā€¦ Hours lostā€¦

1 Like

Reading through this thread, I am not encouraged. . . .

Iā€™ve scanned and read similar issues, but canā€™t find anything that solves my problem. Lots of terminology and references I do not understand. Iā€™m not a gamer. Iā€™m a former pilot (medical disability) who just wants to do a little desktop flying. I didnā€™t expect to get into a lengthy debugging career.

When I start the app, I get the Xbox splash, the ASOBO splash, Checking for updates. Then the screen goes to black with a progress bar crawling at the bottom. It crawls for 15 to 20 minutes and then stalls. No progress. The Simulator never comes up. Eventually, I have to go into Task Manager to kill it. No error messages. I have no idea whatā€™s happening or what to do.

I loaded the game in December and had to uninstall in January and reinstalled it. It ran a few times and I got busy. I just got back to it this week and it wonā€™t run at all. Iā€™m lost.

Windows 10 Home, 64-bit
GPU
Radeon RX 580 Series
VRAM 8192 MB GDDR5 2000 MHz
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor
RAM 16 GB
Windows and GPU software is up to date as of today.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I wish I had a better answer for you but Iā€™m convinced that X-Box has something to do with the problem. Like you everything seems normal until the ā€œLooking for Updatesā€ screen appears for about 10 seconds then the next screen is either the ā€œblack screen blue barā€ or the usual World Update screen which means the game at that point is going to run normally. The problem happens to me about once a week and requires a complete un-install and re-install of the game. My system requires around 24-36 hours to re-load then reload all of the scenery and aircraft from the Content page. My desktop is similar to yours running an Intel I5 with 32 Gb RAM and a Radeon RX580 8 Gb graphics card. Iā€™ve turned off the auto update feature in the Microsoft Store settings and always start the game as administrator. Iā€™m on day 6 of my last re-install so Iā€™ll see if tomorrow everything fails. BTW Iā€™m also an ex-pilot (flew corporate) and still fly once in a while Sport Pilot in a Piper PA-15 out of NY1. If I get any insights or actually get a response form Microsoft Iā€™ll pass it along

already tried to increase pagefile ?

HI As reported in the thread I have exactly the same problem. My PC is running differently than yours i.e Nvidia 2080 super and 64 Gb Ram but the trouble is exactly the same.
I have reported to the support team and received their usual automatic e.mails and have done all suggested item without any success.
To me the problem is coming from XBox live.
I got the sim since very first day in august and could fly without any problem up to mid january. Since I got the problem and did about 4 full reload of the 108 Gb. Result was about 3/4 fligths w/o problem and then, without any reason or change in my PC7Game structure, back to the looping blue line.

Iā€™m currently waiting for a feed back from Microsoft team to which I have resent a request and so far just got back to my former P3Dv5.1 with my PMDGā€™s. Missing the landscapes but enjoying flying at leastā€¦

I havenā€™t had any problems for the past week after a re-download and reinstall. When I initially turn on my computer I get the usual X-Box screen which I close before proceeding. I boot MSFS by right-clicking on the icon and start as administrator. Iā€™ve kept additions to the Community folder to a minimum, I use the A32X (Airbus) free mod. So far. So good. Iā€™ll post if/when I have any problems. Iā€™d be interested when you hear back from the Microsoft Team.

I was able to download/install the latest MSFS update from Microsoft and so far it runs fine. I chose NOT to update the X-Box program which reminds me every time I boot up the computer.

Same with me. So far since I have made a full re-installation with the new MSFS update including UK and Ireland everything seems to be working fine again, whatever the way of starting the sim i.e via MSFS icon as administrator or via XBox live.
With respect to the community I just have my working title CJ4 and a few specific addons for the current flight Iā€™m doing.
Will certainly follow FailingThrone advice79 not to update the XBox program automatically.

By the way for those having a problem with the connection between XBox live and the server, I found out that it was because of the disactivation of my WIFI. Having an ethernet link to my Box I was still having internet but I had to reactivate the WIFI as well in order to get the server connection with the XBox.

All Iā€™ve been able to do it uninstall and redownload. It always fixes the problem for me, but it doesnā€™t last for very long. At some point after re-installing, and playing the game a few times, the problem returns and Iā€™m back to looking at a black screen with the blue loading bar. Whatā€™s frustrating, is that absolutely nothing changes on my end yet the issue returns. Iā€™ll be playing the game one day, and the next time i try (after doing no system updates, no new programs/software/hardware etc) the blue loading bar comes back and never goes away. Uninstalling and reinstalling works, but in no way is that an acceptable solution for me. Iā€™ve tried everything that I possible can, except for messing with the UserCfg.opt file. I see the path at the bottom of the file, but as far as I can tell, it looks correct to me? Whatā€™s it supposed to look like? What does it look like when itā€™s messed up? Hereā€™s mineā€¦ does anyone see anything in there that jumps out at you as being Fā€™d?

InstalledPackagesPath ā€œC:\Users\MyDumbComputer\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packagesā€

As far as I can tell your installation path is correct. As I said previously I havenā€™t had any recent issues. The one thing I changed was the size of the Rolling Cache from the default value of 8 Gb to 12 Gb. My understanding is that every time you fly a flight your scenery and land data is cached in this directory to reduce the time/data download required for subsequent flights. It is supposed to automatically reset every month. I wonder if this file gets full that somehow it interrupts the start-up process or gets corrupted. I would feel better if Microsoft were to recognize this problem for many of MSFS users and if they canā€™t/wonā€™t fix this issue at least let users know what is creating this problem. Their silence is deafening!

Have you tried this solution: https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016058859-Stuck-on-Check-for-updates-screen
If this happens to me again this is what Iā€™m going to try,

Thanks
Yeah, the only thing I hadnā€™t tried is the AutoTuning=disable
Just tried it, and unfortunately, no help. So ā– ā– ā– ā–  annoying

HI Back to troubles ā€¦ After downloading the last update UK/Ireland I could have 5 to 6 flights without any problem. Then after 2 days without flying I started a new session and eventually got this fā€¦ black screen after the update checking. Then impossible to start anything again. DId not change anything to my system and my community is empty.
Iā€™m now really fed. up with this sim. I had 2 tickets with Zendesk already and apart from their automatic emails they are quite unable to offer any solution. I have previously done all what was suggested in their mails without any success. The only way to have the sim working again has been to make a full re installation (Hours of loading of course) and then back to the about 5/6 flights before facing the problem of black screen again.
The problem has nothing to see with our computers. Itā€™s a real bug from MS and the way they are considering us makes me feel that we are close to be facing kinda crooksā€¦
They donā€™t event have the honesty to recognize the problem officially and tell us that they donā€™t have any solution. Nor giving any possible date for a settlement of the problem.
Everything went well as long as they have introduced this bloody XBox live.

Sorry to hear of your ongoing troubles. So far so good here. I have not downloaded/updated any of the X-Box update reminders. I still get the checking for updates screen after the UK/Ireland screen which is on for 10-12 seconds then returns to the UK/Ireland screen then program runs as it should. Obviously the program (MSFS 2020) is looking for something when the Looking for Updates screen appearsā€¦no one seems to know why the problem occurs and Microsoftā€™s declining to acknowledge the issue is pathetic!!! Talking to X-Box is pointless as you speak to an agent somewhere overseas whose native language is not English who reads from a script which begins ā€œIs your computer turned on?ā€ Give me a break.

The dreaded blue lineā€¦ mine stops at 80% everytimeā€¦ I even have a sticker on the side of my monitor where it stops.

Soā€¦ I download the whole thingā€¦ which takes hoursā€¦ the sim works greatā€¦ the next time I try it the blue loading line stops at 80% as ever.

I downloaded the whole thing again last week, including the UK update. . sim works okā€¦ so todayā€¦ back to the blue line stuck at 80%

I await the ZenDesk for some inspiration

Hi What do you mean by X-Box update reminders ? I mean I have installed the last UK/Ireland update and could once more fly for 5/6 times before being back to the black screen after the update check phase. (Of course I have reported once more to Zendesk i.e for the 3rd time).
I did not change anything else neither in my PC nor in the sim itself.
I still think that the problem is linked to the X-Box network and I do agree that trying to talk to the jokers is useless.
Zendesk so far has just come back asking for my DxDiag and MsInfo files supposed to help them finding out whatā€™s wrong. So far no news and their team is supposed to care about it.
This time I decided not to re install (Hours of loading as you know) and wait for them to come back.

However Iā€™m interested if their is a way through this point of X-Box update reminders and would really appreciate your explanation as well as means to avoid or cancel them if possible. Thks.

Soā€¦ at last got somewhereā€¦
Uninstall Xbox & associated apps
Sign out of the Microsoft store
Reboot
Reinstall Xbox, sign into the Microsoft store.
Launch via the Xbox

After a lot of downloading finally it worked