Low CPU and GPU Usage on RTX 2070 in VR

Hi Everyone, I have tried everything I can think of and can’t seem to fix the issue so I am coming here.

I decided to set my HTC Vive back up and tried to hop in to the VR mode but I am getting absolute terrible unplayable performance even on the lowest of settings. I don’t know my exact frames but steamvr performance is about 20-25 ms and reprojecting. I tried tweaking a ton of setting ingame, in steamVR, and Nvidia Control Panel but nothing made it better. Finally I pulled up task manager and realized that in VR mode, my CPU isn’t using more than 15-20% of its power at any given time and my GPU no more than 60-70%. Though as soon as I tab out of VR mode back to normal, my CPU jumps to 40%+ and my GPU up to 95-100% and my performance is great again.

Here is my specs:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X OC’d to 4.1ghz
RTX 2070 OC’d slightly
Gigabyte X570 Gaming X
32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 mhz
750W PSU
Nvidia Driver 461.09

Anybody else having this issue or find a fix for it? Any help would be very much appreciated!

Check this comment:

It’s possible the problem is Windows not detecting correctly CPU and GPU usage.

IMHO you are CPU bound, not GPU. You should display each core of your processor separately with a monitoring tool or in the Task Manager, as probably one or more core reach 100% when other are low, so the average % seems low. You could also verify by enabling the DevMode in MSFS and you’ll see if you’re limited by mainframe (what I think) or by GPU.

GPU appear underused too (60 / 70%) probably because retro-projection kick ON, so that give some GPU headroom. If you turn it off their a chance your GPU usage raise, but you will not reach your native headset fps for sure as it seems none, or very few, are able to reach it whatever CPU, GPU and headset they use (guys, correct me if I’m wrong).

FYI I’m CPU limited in VR with my I7 10700K even OC to 5,2Ghz. Lowering all graphical settings in monitor 2D settings don’t let me reach more than 105fps which prove it’s will be not enough to have a smooth session in VR, unless I accept to limit my VR fps to something pretty low like 30 or even 16fps…

Some good literature here talking about the same issue :

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.