Low FPS, 6-10 FPS close to airports with RTX 3080, i7-10700k, 32 gb ram

Hey! I have some major problems… My system is an i7-10700k 32 gb ram, RTX 3080… I have close to airports (in particular to DLC´s and Premium Airports) just 6-10 fps, its unplayable and its so hard lagging. I played the game before, before the patch, with a rtx 2080 super and it worked quite ok, a better perfomance than now. i wasnt playing the latest version with the 2080, but now with the rtx 3080 its unpossible to play. Is it because of my GPU? Cant imagine. I tried every tipp and hack which i could find, but its not gettin better. what can i do? Do you have similar problems?

3 Likes

6-10 FPS with a 10700k+3080 :rofl: :joy: :rofl:

It’s a slideshow! It’s fine with my 2080, could be better but glad I didn’t upgrade to the 3080 yet

1 Like

It is your present running nVidia Driver Suite. Update to the latest ASAP. Then, reboot your system.

May want to check out your graphics settings and whether GeForce Experience is trying to Optimize settings…

Something is not right for sure. I have a similar set up with the exception of the video card which is a 2070. I get 30-35 even in major areas with everything on ultra. Did you do a clean install on the video card driver? I can’t remember the name of the slider but in the graphic options in the sim there are 2 sliders. The top one kills my computer if I turn it up high. I think it might be terrain or objects level of detail.

i have the latest one, released today…

Yes, i did it completly new today, reinstall, and installed the latest one again… it doesnt matter if i play minimal or ultra settings, its still bad.
GeForce Expierence is not trying to optimize.

Do you have an application like HWInfo that you can run to see what the usage of the CPU and GPU is while running the MSFS? If you still have the 2080 Super can you swap that back in to see if it is the 3080 causing problems?

no, i have not… i made an exchange to the rtx 3080… yes, i have 88-99% GPU usage wit 10gb and 12-20% CPU usage with 21gb RAM… im trying now to update from win 10 1909 to 2004… maybe that works.

Hopefully the Windows update helps, but it is looking like there is a GPU bottleneck for some reason (which there shouldn’t be). The only other things I can think of off the top of my head would be whether the resolution has been updated from a lower 1080p or 1440p to 4K. It still shouldn’t cause that severe of a GPU bottleneck though. Also not sure if the GPU is being power limited or if it is reaching it’s optimal boost clocks.

Which traffic settings do you use? Doesn’t matter… Drop them to 20% airborne and 10% on ground. This should solve your problem

Cheers

what’s your gpu usage during low fps, it might be just inappropriate driver bug.
i get around 60-70% cpu/gpu usage and arouind 40fps with 1080ti

Hi, I had a similar issue with my new RTX 3090, and it turned out to be caused by the AI Airline Traffic settings. In dense areas, having this setting too high will cause a massive slowdown, no matter how good your GPU is.

I turn it down to 0 when I know I’m going to fly over dense urban areas or large/complex airports.

This might be a “Core” Problem. FS-2020 isn’t capable of handling more than 4 cores (is seems). I’m not an expert but I heard this could cause problems and delays in processing. You might want to take a look at your core-usage (Task-manager / performance / source control). You might have to set affinity to limit the cores used. I hope an expert can fill better than I.

This is false. Ask anyone trying to run the sim on a 4core/4thread CPU.

Right now the sweet spot seems to be 6C/12T or maybe a 4C/8T. There are diminishing returns, since there will always have to be the main thread (that keeps the others in sync) that can only work on a single thread.

1 Like

I run a I7-7700 which has 4cores and 8threads. No Fps problems whatsoever. But like said I’m not an expert but I can remember hearing Asobo addressing this problem on their Q&A session on Youtube. It seems FS has problems making use of more than 8 threads. But correct me if I’m wrong.

I’ve had some weird issue before with frames, but a “set to default”, then save and apply on the graphics page, solve the issue.

ok, i dropped the traffic like u said and also to 0. no changes. and it worked perfect with the 2080 with the normal settings. its also lagging in the pause menu now. not sure why. :frowning:

i´ll try this. thx

Have switched off threaded optimization in Nvidia settings.
Windows game mode off?
Windows fully updated you said…
Tried turning up render scaling in the SIM?
Power supply up to the new RTX card?
Bios for your motherboard the latest.
I’d have another go at clean install of the GPU drivers ,had stalling issue with new g-sync monitor.Did the clean install including settings,fixed it.
Just suggestions, with the CPU/GPU combination you should be able to enjoy it at its best.

2 Likes